Interview with Guitarist, Bassist and Vocalist Ron Merz of BLOODRED (Germany)


Photo by Stefan Heilemann





By Mick Michaels





COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Ron! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
Ron Merz: Thank you for having me. I really appreciate that!

CV: Do you feel Heavy Metal music in general is viewed differently by fans in Europe compared to fans elsewhere, especially in America, and if so why?
RM: It's difficult for me to answer because I don't have direct experience. But I would think that possible differences have diminished over time in a global world. It's perhaps more relevant these days to look at countries in Asia or the Middle East, for example, where metal is still really "underground" and musicians are even exposed to severe repression. I think that the fans there have a very different view of the music and differ from the metal fans in the western world.

Photo by Stefan Heilemann

CV: What do you feel makes Heavy Metal music so alluring to the fans? What is it about the music that personally resonates so strongly with you?
RM: Metal is still much more honest and down to earth than other genres. Has a great variety and offers something for many tastes. And still has the potential to polarize, to provoke. I think that's been attracting a lot of people for decades.

For me personally, it's the energy and musicality of metal that fascinated me from an early age. In addition, I see many of my emotions reflected in metal and have found a home there. Even if I listen to other music from time to time, metal is an elementary and important part of my personality.

CV:
Has Metal splintered into too many sub-genres in your opinion, thus, making it harder for newer bands to actually classify themselves as one style over another?  Is it confusing for fans as well?
RM: In fact, I don't like this stereotyped thinking at all and try to be very open with my music…knowing full well that this can be a challenge not only for me but also for the listeners. For me, a slow, atmospheric track can sit alongside a Death Metal monster. If I had to categorize the music of BLOODRED, I would only go with "Extreme Metal".

This ever-expanding subdivision of genres probably came about primarily to be able to market bands better. The borders are fluid and sometimes such a designation makes no sense at all and can certainly lead to confusion. I would hope that the fans don't get too influenced by the genres and are open to all kinds of music and Metal.

CV: How would you describe the current state of the music business considering we are now living in a COVID aware, and maybe even feared world? Have things drastically changed long-term for artists and bands given the recent pandemic? What are your thoughts?
RM: The business is hanging by a thread. Not for the big acts, but for many smaller bands, locations and the people who work there. Before COVID, the trend had long been that artists and the industry could make a living from selling tickets for live shows and merchandise. The sale of sound carriers alone and certainly not streaming is not enough. The pandemic caused this business model to collapse from one day to the next and left its mark accordingly. I also fear that even with the slowly coming loosening, it will still be a long time before everything will be "normal" again. It is very likely that there will be a "new normal" in which everyone involved in the business will have to rediscover themselves. It would be nice if we could scrutinize some developments and make corrections in the course of this....



CV: What do you feel makes your band and its particular approach to songwriting work? What keeps the band together and making music?
RM: In the case of BLOODRED, the big advantage is that I only have to agree with myself. That makes some things easier.... The challenge is more that I have to keep my approach fresh and not repeat myself. Over the years I have developed a few processes that help me a lot. But I also reflect on myself again and again and try to develop myself further in a wide variety of aspects. For me, this will to further development is one of the most important aspects for the fact that BLOODRED will be around for 15 years next year.

CV: On a more global view, how do you see your band’s music and songwriting separating itself from just being another Heavy Metal act?
RM: The obvious aspect is the fact that I do everything by myself. Even if there are of course many solo artists, this is already an outstanding feature. In addition, it is important for me not to let my creativity be too limited and to break with conventions. For example, I don't care if I don't use established song structures and there is no "real" refrain. The listeners have to decide whether the music is "outstanding" in any way. But I believe that BLOODRED has something to offer to those who approach the music with an open mind and want to discover new details even after repeated listening.

CV: Can an artist truly be unique? Some would argue there is no such thing as being unique; that it’s nothing more than a compounding of influences making an artist who or what they are. Would this then say that artists today are destined to be just copies of those who have already come to pass?
RM: There is a saying that all music has already been written. And to a certain extent there is some truth to that. However, I believe that there is still enough scope for today's artists to create something new. By combining different influences in a new way and, most importantly, bringing your own personality to bear! In my opinion, how you approach things as an artist, what you want to express and what different skills you bring with you can be a good basis for developing your own individuality.

CV: Are there life lessons to learn being in a Heavy Metal band that you feel cannot be taught elsewhere? If so, what are they?
RM: In fact, I'd say that's not necessarily the case. Many of the themes you deal with in a band or in a solo project can also be found in other places…in professional life, in the family or in the circle of friends. Certainly there is a special "flavor" when you're in the Metal environment, but basically the differences are marginal. If you don't work hard you won't make it in a band any more than you will in your job. When you're an a**hole, it's just as hard for you in family and friends as it is in a band. In the end, I think it's a question of the personality that everyone brings with them; to what extent you can learn something for your life and take it with you.

CV: What do you feel makes someone a “rock star”? Does being a rock star automatically make one iconic or are the two completely different in your opinion?
RM: For me, being a rock star means getting a lot of attention for a certain moment, whether it's from fans or the media. However, this attention is fleeting and many of the so-called "rock stars" disappear from the limelight.You only become an "Icon" when you have created something that will stand the test of time and has a special, long-lasting meaning for many people. By shaping an era, being innovative and leaving the beaten path.

It can sometimes be difficult to distinguish between these two, and it will usually only be possible in retrospect, when one is perhaps not blinded by the actuality. This differentiation will probably be particularly difficult for those who may be "rock stars" but are certainly not icons....

CV: What's next for you? What can fans expect to see coming as the world looks to surmount a new normal laced with a load of restrictions?
RM: After the release of the new album, “AD ASTRA,” on April 22nd we will soon release a video we shot in an abandoned NATO bunker. I’m really looking forward to share this with you all. In addition, I'm already working on new music and I'm excited to see where BLOODRED's path will lead...

CV: Thank you again Ron for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success.
RM: Thank you very much!



Check out BLOODRED at:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bloodred.band/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Bloodredofficial/

Official: http://bloodredband.com/



Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 


Comments