Interview with Bassist Marco Mendoza (Iconic, Thin Lizzy, The Dead Dasies, Whitesnake)


By Mick Michaels





Cosmick View: Hello, Marco! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated.

CV: What's the dynamic like when you begin working on a new project, whether it's a new solo project or a collaborative effort like the star-studded Iconic?  Is there still a level of excitement for you even after all this time? Marco Mendoza: There’s always excitement and anticipation to hearing the music played and also getting to know the other musicians. The dynamic with my solo project is a lot more responsibility, and so for the same reason, greater rewards. I have learned to appreciate any situation and opportunity I get to do music with great musicians…I never take it for granted!!

CV: The new single is "Take it to the Limit." Tell us a little about the song. Does its context parallel the things going on in the world today?
MM: Well yes, but it was written by Soren Anderson and myself in the studio coming off of some heavy touring and traveling…and in conversation we looked at each other and mentioned the fact that we are always taking things to the Limit, so that was the inception…the song was written in 30 minutes or so.

CV: Marco, How would you define the sentiment of "taking things to the limit" as an artist?  What does that mean to you? Is too much never enough when it comes to creativity?
MM: The creative process is always fleeting and illusive, and it’s sometimes necessary to be in the right frame of mind to tap into it…in other words just stopping and listening to see where it takes you, and yes sometimes you have to take it as far as you can go and then more.

CV: What can listeners expect from the new, upcoming solo album? Will there be any surprises in store for them upon first listen?
MM: Without sounding pretentious and over-confident, I really believe Soren and myself have come up with the best writing so far… so maybe that will be the surprise, GOOD SONGS?  Here’s hoping it is well received!

CV: What do you see as the biggest difference between working on material for a solo album compared to working on material for a collaborative album as a band? Is it a different mindset that you take on?
MM: It is definitively different in that you have more responsibility that falls on your shoulders when writing for a solo project. It can also be a faster process if you want to stay honest and capture the moment creatively. In a bigger group, you do have 3, 4 or 5 people coming up with ideas and that can take a bit longer.

CV: The world has changed in so many ways over the last couple of years. Many things have taken on new perspectives and now may have alternative meaning for a lot of people since the pandemic. What has changed for you that makes you look at the world differently now than before the pandemic? MM: Again I was reminded of how our lives can be so impacted in such a negative way that it made me realize that there’s so much to be grateful for…I call it the Attitude of Gratitude and have to say when I apply that way of thinking to my state of mind I am always in the best place possible.

CV: Do you look at yourself any differently now as an artist since the pandemic?
MM: I really believe…without sounding too mushy, that the world needs music now more than ever. Live and recorded music can be very healing and help us get through our everyday living and problems, so I have a sense of responsibility to keep on recording  and performing live as much as possible. When we get down to it, music speaks to us in ways that we will never be able to understand we just know that it’s good…when we play it, when we record it and when we listen to it. I just can’t imagine a world without live music and music in general!!

CV: Fans and critics alike have claimed that rock is dead, and with the aftermath of the pandemic still fresh in many people’s minds, the music world is still spinning on its heels trying to recover as a whole. What do you think? Is there hope for the industry to completely recover and find the new voice of rock in your opinion? 
MM: Yes DEF!!  The old model is gone; we have to make an effort to find the new ways to deliver music, live and otherwise. From my own experience, I see that interest has not diminished, the business side, it has disappeared, and it’s up to us to find the new model that will work. I have made many changes when I tour with my solo project, and it seems to be working, and also I believe Rock is an attitude combined with the fact that there’s still millions and millions of people that dig Rock and Roll and music in general…so Rock and Roll will never die it will go and is going through some changes. but it will be here for a long time to come.…

CV: In addition to the new single and the upcoming solo album later this year, what more can fans expect to see coming from you?
MM: I am working on getting my music scored for orchestra, and also have been approached to work on some Fusion collections of songs and touring…we will see where that leads to. All I know is there’s tons going on for me and my career.…

CV: Thanks again Marco for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.
MM: THANK YOU!! Muchas Gracias!

Check out Marco at:
Official site
Facebook
Instagram
Spotify

Webshop:
https://bit.ly/marco-shop

 
 


Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments