Interview with Solo Artist Thomas Thunder


By Mick Michaels




COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Thomas! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: What do you feel sets the band apart from other bands, especially those of similar sound and style? What's the specific allure your sound and style has that has people taking notice?
Thomas Thunder: I think what sets me apart from other bands and musicians, foremost, is my age.  I'm a 14 year old drummer, musician and songwriter.  I write Progressive Rock and Metal music, and I'm inspired by bands like Tool, Pink Floyd and Dream Theater.  If you like Prog, you'll definitely like my music.  In fact, professional Prog artists Derek Sherinian (Sons of Apollo; ex Dream Theater), Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Sons of Apollo; former Guns n Roses) and Tony Franklin (The Firm; Jimmy Page) are all guest musicians on my album.  I wrote all the music, play the drums on all the songs, as well as play the bass, piano and keyboards on a few.  My age and songwriting style sets me apart from others, and has people taking notice. 

CV: For any band, dynamics is key to grabbing an audience's attention. What do you feel is the main ingredient to having such a captivating dynamic and being able to bring something more to the music?
TT: Yes, I agree having dynamics is key to grabbing an audience's attention.  The main ingredient to dynamics is being filled with energy and creating new ideas.  I'm inspired by other music, movies, books and surrounding myself with other great musicians.  Creating songs that are unique, where each one has their own story to tell, brings a captivating and interesting musical pallet to your audience.  For example, the song Crystal Illusion was written having the idea of a nefarious Wizard using his crystal ball to cast spells in an attempt at world domination.  With each song I write, I have a story or theme in mind, and the music reflects that idea I have.  I think that viewpoint makes my music dynamic and interesting.    

CV: How would you describe the ultimate musical experience for your fans? And how does the band go about creating that musical vision, while generating the impact the band wants to have on its audience?
TT: The ultimate musical experience for my fans would be to provide an artistic experience that takes them away from any stress in their everyday life.  I'm in the process of collaborating with an animation studio to create a series of music videos that express my song ideas.  Having exciting visuals, that tell a thrilling, adventurous story will generate a positive impact on the audience.   

CV: The music business has always been one that regardless of who you are, where you came from or where you've been, you can either sink or swim.  Does this type of realism have any effect on how the band drives itself to succeed? 
TT: Honestly, my passion to create supersedes any potential music industry pitfall or disappointment.  I want to succeed. I'm driven to succeed. So, I will succeed.  I will continue to compose music, no matter what happens.  There's always a place for music and creativity; be it in performance, songwriting, studio musician, film, commercials, video games, mixing and production, and so on.  I'm doing this because it's who I am.   

CV: In your opinion, is there any middle ground for a band or is it a do or die climate in today's music industry?
TT: In today's music industry, from my limited understanding, it may seem like it's do or die, but there does seem to be some middle ground.  There seems to be musicians and bands at the top engaging in world tours and selling out arenas, but also bands that gig locally and have a strong online presence and survive.  I think the key to success is being driven, having passion and a strong willingness to try different musical avenues.

CV: How would you describe the band's internal energy? Does the band’s outward appearance align with its true inward nature from your perspective?
TT: I'm a solo performer, so I only have to deal with myself.  I'm quite serious and driven, and I think my appearance reflects that.  I don't believe in gimmicks or attention grabs.  I let the music speak for itself.  I think that raw honesty is appealing to a lot of Prog fans.   

CV: What's at the core of the band's songwriting approach? Are there certain elements that are considered when a song begins to take form and evolves? 
TT: I love songwriting.  When I have an idea, I try to execute a melody that parallels that vision.  I start playing the piano, and come up with a chord progression that I feel matches the theme that I have envisioned.  I use a DAW (GarageBand and Logic Pro) to build the song, and add digital drums, guitar, bass, and keyboards.  I create a harmonic structure, with these digital instruments, that is consonant or dissonant with the melody line.   Later in the process, I start implementing dynamics, and other instrumentation ranging all the way from a Theremin to a Darbuka drum.  Overall, it is a joy to compose music!

CV: Do you allow things to just happen when writing; seeing where a song goes, or is there a certain course of action and structure you keep a song on, thus, essentially making it destined to achieve its overall potential?
TT: I never go into the songwriting process thinking, "Oh, there should be a chorus here, and then a verse there."  I go with the flow, and I think my compositions reflect that.  I write instrumental Prog Metal music, and generally that music is quite the untamed beast. However, I do go into songwriting with multiple ideas in mind, and later I figure out how to arrange them.  All in all, I never have a specific arrangement for my songs in mind.

CV: Do you feel how the fans and critics describe the band’s music accurately reflects how you would describe the band’s music?
TT: At this time, I think I've received some positive feedback.  To quote musician and keyboard virtuoso Derek Sherinian, "I have had the pleasure of working with Thomas on his debut album. I was extremely impressed with his creativity and use of advanced harmony for a kid his age. I think the future is bright for young Thomas Thunder!"  I think that my target audiences are Prog aficionados and musicians.  I think they'll probably enjoy my music most.  However, I hope I win over as many music lovers as possible.

CV: Walk us through a typical show for the band...what can fans who have never seen you perform expect?
TT: At this time, I'm not performing these songs live on tour.  I'm creating music ideas, and you can find me posting daily videos on my Instagram page.  I'm planning on eventually doing some live, virtual performances over the next year or so.  

CV: What more can fans look forward to seeing coming from the band?
TT: The album, “The Pharaoh's Temple” will drop in September 2021.  My first single, “Crystal Illusion” is out on July 30th, and the next single will drop at the end of August.  Animated music videos over the next several months will be posted on Youtube and Instagram.  I'm also looking to do a live virtual performance in the upcoming year.    

CV: Thank you again Thomas for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
TT: Thank you!

 



Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





Vinyl Closet Records
www.vinylclosetrecords.com




The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments