Interview with Canadian Musician and Mixed Martial Artist Polychuck


By Mick Michaels




COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Polychuck
 Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: How has your time as a musical artist prepared you to be a better mixed martial artist and how has being an MMA practitioner contributed to your musical pursuits in your opinion?
Polychuck: Hey, thanks for having me! I think both of these disciplines help you get to know yourself better. There’s a lot of introspection to be done when you’re writing music but also when you’re fighting. You inevitably go through challenging situations in a fight and have to react. To me that’s the same thing as being inspired for a song or a melody. The more you do it the more you discover your own tendencies and reflexes. You discover yourself basically.

CV: How do you see the music world and the MMA world coming together? Is there some sort of melding or connection you've experienced that you wish to share with others?
P: At the end of the day it’s all entertainment but to me it’s more of a discipline. Fighting helps me be a better person in general. It helps me be more humble, in better physical shape etc. It also helps me be more focused in my music career. On the other hand, music helps me be creative and have a good sense of rhythm which in turn helps me be a better fighter.

CV: Does diving into a multi-genre laced EP release, such as "Shadows Exposed," create more of an avenue to reach a broader audience from your perspective?
P: I think it might but that’s not necessarily the goal. My influences are all over the place and to me music is music. I just try to write what I would want to hear. It’s kinda like taking my personal playlists and making one EP with a bit of everything that’s on there…in my own way. It may or may not reach a broader audience but that would be a plus. I’m definitely more “prog” than the average “Alternative-Rock” artist and definitely more mainstream than your average “prog” band

CV: Diversity may be the spice of life and can be a welcomed refreshment in an over-saturated industry of carbon copies. But on the flip side of writing in a more multi-genre style, would having too diverse of a musical approach possibly leave fans divided or confused, especially for an artist who is building an audience?
P: Yeah, exactly. Like I said, that can very well happen but in my opinion, music is music. This EP is me wearing my heart on my sleeve. I write what I would love to hear and if other people like it, awesome!

CV: Are all your songs purely autobiographical? Do you approach songwriting from the inside out?
P: Pretty much but every song on there is about a dark aspect of life. Things that we all experience at some point. Whether it be self-doubt, anger, adversity in general. I find that these topics can be a way to connect with people. Also, the songs are not sung in a depressing way. My melodies are somewhat uplifting. If anything, it should feel liberating to hear. A way to express these dark emotions in order to heal from them.

CV: With MMA being widely practiced across the globe and accepted as a legitimate sporting event, why participate in underground matches?  Do you feel your involvement in illegally unsanctioned MMA fights could send the wrong message to younger fans of both the music world and the MMA world?
P: We all go through these “smoker fights”. Every single pro fighter has done some or at least one. It’s part of the game. Depending on the regulations of the state or the country, they’re not necessarily illegal. For my part, I would totally do sanctioned fights but I had my first “smoker” just before the pandemic hit so I haven't had the chance. The time will definitely come!

CV: How have you seen your musical background and your martial arts training helping you weather the COVID pandemic storm? Are they more than an extra-curricular activity... possibly more of a way of life for mind, body and spirit?
P: They definitely helped me grow as a person and helped me react more wisely in tough situations. Like I said in the beginning, they helped me discover myself and they still do.

CV: In addition to the release of "Shadows Exposed," what more can we expect to see coming from you in 2021?
P: Obviously the pandemic doesn’t help but we’re working on tour dates. Things are slowly reopening in Canada and in the US so we’re not going to miss an opportunity to perform. I am also already working on an LP which should be released next year. 2021 will definitely be a year of serious songwriting

CV: Thank you again Polychuck for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
P: Thanks to you!

Check out Polychuck at:
Official: www.polychuck.com  
Linktree:
www.linktr.ee/Polychuck

 

Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





Vinyl Closet Records
www.vinylclosetrecords.com




The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments