Interview with Saliva Vocalist Bobby Amaru




By Mick Michaels

 

 

Cosmick View: Hello! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated.

CV: How would you describe the band's new single, "Revelation Man?" Will long time fans of Saliva still find that blue collar vibe in the music that initially drew them in?
Bobby Amaru: "Revelation Man" is the first new single we have released in a few years. The song is about a rebirth and making a change, but the sound is still very much Saliva…. Our music will always have elements that our long time fans will recognize. Wayne is still on guitar. Paul is still on drums. Both of those guys were part of the sound that made Every Six Seconds and they are part of our sound now. It is hard to get away from that sound even if we tried...and I don’t think that's a bad thing. We have a fan base and we want to make sure they like what we are putting out.

CV: What does being a "revelation man" mean to you? How would you ultimately define it as being an artist?
BA: "
Revelation Man" is about a guy who couldn't accept the struggles of his own addictions. He had to hit rock bottom to see the light. The song resonates with my own life story. I used to be that guy.  I went through many things before finding sobriety. When I say in the song that I 'had to die to find a revelation,' I mean there were moments in my life where I felt like I had died.

CV: Does writing such a telling and life paralleling song remove some of the emotional baggage that is often associated with and carried during such personal trials and tribulations? Do you see it as being therapeutic in some regard?
BA: Music in general is therapeutic...writing, listening, whatever. There was a time when I was ready to give up the industry entirely. I was sick of being on the road and just getting wasted every night. I felt like there was no way out. I was drowning, and the songs I wrote during that time reflected all of that pain. 

Now that I am sober I realize that, and when I listen to what I have written, this song included, it is like a timeline of my healing process.

CV: Did you find there were some feelings or emotions you choose to leave out of the song?
BA: Not really. I tried to keep it authentic. I have done a lot of work on myself over the last 3 years and I have found it most healthy to always be true to myself.

CV: Saliva plans to release additional singles following "Revelation Man," all of which will end up on an album release later in 2022. Does piece-mealing an album this way, make it more digestible for the listening audience or even increase the record's overall staying power in such a short-lived, digital consumption era?
BA: It has been awhile since we released new music and we wanted to give fans a taste of what's to come on the new album. Every record part of a cycle, they come out, they go away. Even in a digital world, an album's staying power is really up to the fans. For example Appetite for Destruction would be a killer album no matter how it was released. People may consume music from different formats now, but it is the sound that matters most.

CV: With Saliva being a veteran band, do you find it difficult to create new music that can compete or even rival past successes, especially considering fan expectations?
BA: We don't really look at our new music as needing to compete with our old music. We really just want to continue to be able to relate to our fans and make music they enjoy. 

CV: The world has changed in so many ways over the last couple of years. Many things have taken on new perspectives and now may have alternative meaning for a lot of people since the pandemic. What has changed for you that makes you look at the world differently now than before the pandemic?
BA: I am just very grateful to be alive and well. It is important to appreciate what you have and the people you love. Also how important it is to take care of your health. Being off the road I had time to reflect and did a lot of songwriting...so much so that I finished my own album, a cover album, and have a bunch of other songs that I may release at some point...but none of that would mean a thing if I didn't still have my health.

CV: The world of music took a big hit as well over the last two years.  Again, being a veteran band, do you feel the industry will recover over time or will a new industry emerge as things slowly begin to find its flow again?
BA: Only time will tell, but the music industry is like a phoenix. No matter what it is hit with it is always shifting and finding new ways to advance.

CV: In addition to the new single and future album release, what more can fans expect to see coming from Saliva in 2022?
BA: We will be touring quite a bit throughout the year and releasing the record hopefully by late summer. 

CV: Thanks again for taking the time to with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.

Check out Saliva at:
Official Website

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

YouTube



 Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments