Interview with Legendary Singer Peter Goalby (former Uriah Heep)


By Mick Michaels 

 

 

Cosmick View: Hello, Peter! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated. Peter Goalby: Mick it is a real pleasure thank you for supporting my album.

CV: What types of feelings are coming up for you at this moment with the release of your long awaited, first solo album, "Easy with the Heartaches?" Where does that put you mentally, spiritually and emotionally as an artist?
PG: It is a great feeling believe me. I am thrilled; these songs were written and recorded from 1986 to 1990. They are the best songs of my career. I had just left Uriah Heep and I found myself really in the zone with my writing. I wrote “Blood Red Roses” for Heep’s “Raging Silence” album and from then on it was my best time as a writer of songs. They came one after the other. I loved it. I have said this before; it was like the Wizard of Oz when it goes from black and white to color.

CV: The album's release seems like a lifetime in the making, especially for the fans. Was there ever a time when you gave up hope, thinking this day would never come?
PG: Yes I did give up hope. I walked away from music in 1992 for good. It was the only way I could deal with it. I had to close the door. I have been in denial ever since. I loved the music but hated the music business. I could not wait any longer. There was more to life and I was right.

CV: With the songs from "Easy with the Heartaches" now being nearly 30 years old, is there a feeling like you're somewhat tied to the past due to the materials age or is there still a freshness to the music in your opinion?
PG: It sounds very fresh. It is strange but I can now listen to me as though it is someone else singing. I really get a buzz from it. I wrote the songs, I sang the songs, I played most of the guitars. It’s a massive slice of who I am. I did my very best. I love the songs…they really do stand up for themselves after all this time.

CV: Will the album's release be accompanied by any upcoming music videos to showcase several of the tracks?
PG: No videos sorry. I am now nearly 72 years old I have no ambitions in that area Mick. LOL

CV: Though you are now formally retired from the music industry, could there be a possibility, that fans will get the chance to see you perform a select few numbers from the album in an intimate live setting, whether in person or virtually? You have been quoted saying to "Never say never...."
PG: Never say Never indeed is my new catch phrase but I really don’t want to put myself through all that stuff today. I want to just leave it as is Mick.

CV: How are you hoping longtime fans react to "Easy with the Heartaches?" What do you want them to come away with after hearing the album?
PG: I have the answer to that right now. The album has been out for over 4 months now and I am humbled. Fans are loving it. They really do get it. Thank you my friends. You have made me proud, thank you all.

I feel like I was taken away to outer space and now I am back here with my brand new old album. It’s a wonderful warm feeling.

CV: The world has changed in many ways over the last couple of years. Many things have taken on new perspectives and now have alternative meanings for a lot of people since the pandemic. What has changed for you that makes you look at the world differently now than before the pandemic?
PG: Be grateful, be kind, be honest, and tell the truth.

CV: The world of music took a big hit as well the last two years.  Being a veteran singer and songwriter, do you feel the industry will recover over time or will a new industry emerge as things slowly begin to find its flow again?
PG: It has already started; the internet is a massive tool. We don’t need record companies so much as we used to. There is a lot of D.I.Y now . I think we need to find more places for new talent to perform and learn the skills of playing be it small venues. Pubs, clubs…that’s where the real music comes from, it always did. You cannot kick off straight into stadiums with no skill.

CV: In addition to the new album, what more can fans expect to see coming from you in 2022?
PG: There is another album later this year. It’s called “I Will Come Runnin.” It’s a follow on from “Easy With The Heartaches.” All songs written from the same period 1986 to1990. If you enjoy “Easy With The Heartaches” you will enjoy “I Will Come Runnin”…I promise.

CV: Thanks again Peter for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.
PG: Thank you all for sticking with me. We lost Ken Hensley, Trevor Bolder, Lee Kerslake, John Lawton.

I want my best music to be out there before I go. Stay safe everyone.

Check out Peter at:
Amazon CD: https://geni.us/EasyCD
Apple Music: https://geni.us/PGapplemusic
Spotify: https://geni.us/PGspotify



 Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments