Interview with Guitartist Stu "The Hammer" Marshall of Arkenstone (Death Dealer, Night Legion)





By Mick Michaels





COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Stu! Welcome back to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

 

CV: Given so many major changes over the last decade, do you believe the music industry is a practicable and stable enough environment for new artists to even consider making it a valid career choice? Can a level of sustainable success really be achieved in your opinion?
Stu Marshall: For me I’ve never really seen heavy metal as being a valid career choice from a financial perspective. I think it’s incredibly tough especially, as you get older with family and what not to expect to be out on the road for over two years. Adding also to the truth, it cost money to tour, costs money to buy onto these big shows, which a lot of people don’t really know.

 

CV: What do you see as the biggest change in the music industry since you first started out?
SM: I think the most significant change has to be the way in which people enjoy music. Now it’s completely different from the way it was an early 90s in some ways good in some ways more challenging.

 

CV: How do you see your music separating itself from your peers and avoiding just being another cog in the wheel?  
SM: That’s a really good question. I think what we need to think about when we write music is what’s inside of us and not what’s outside influencing us all the time. So for me, when I write material, I really think about what I really need to say as a writer. But having said that, to be fair we have influences of the past that influence us and I think heavy metal is Metal.

 

 

CV: Has the industry’s many changes affected how you write music? Has it influenced your songwriting style in any drastic form? 
SM: In this case, I don’t think so…largely, heavy metal has evolved from the early 70s into the 90s and now into today’s music...the metal in some ways stays the same regardless of what the industry does.

 

CV: Has digital technology led the way for almost anyone to be a musical artist in your opinion?
SM: Absolutely and I think this could be a really good thing because it opens up the world to more songwriters who may not have a chance if they needed to invest tens of thousands of dollars into recordings. Of course the other side of it is, more material out there for people to listen to flooding a market.


CV: Has music in general been broken into too many sub-genres? Why do think there are so many classifications of music types? Can this be confusing for an artist who is looking to build a brand? As well, can it be confusing for the fans? 
SM: Another good question, I think it’s more confusing for artists that are trying to establish themselves as a brand as you say… I think it’s much easier for listeners of metal to understand really what it is they want labels are simply just that labels.

 

CV: How would you define “iconic” when it comes to being an artist or musician? What do you think makes an artist iconic?
SM: I think iconic equals the test of time songs that can be heard 30 years later that still resonate and don’t sound dated. Obvious great examples of this are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. It remains to be seen what will be iconic in the future but someday all of these bands need to retire and will see hopefully, a new breed of heavy metal reaching the masses.

 

CV: Who would you consider to be a modern day “rock star?” And is being a “rock star” something to aspire to?
SM: I think the last great heavy metal rockstar really is Zakk Wylde. And no, being a rockstar is nothing to aspire to in my book, just write good music.

 

CV: Does music need to have a message to convey to the world for it to be worth listening to in your opinion?
SM: For me not really, I use music as an escape…the world is full of news and truth out there if you want to go find it, so for me music shouldn’t have an opinion or a voice for it to be great.

 

CV: What's next for you? What can fans expect to see coming?
SM: I have recently released the new EP from my new power metal band ARKENSTONE – “Ascension of the Fallen” which totally slays. I have also been very busy over the last couple of years, so I’m lucky to have a range of material ready for release with Death Dealer and my Australian band Night Legion.

 

CV: Thank you again Stu for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success.
Arkenstone: Thanks for the chat guys it was great!

Check out Arkenstone at:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Arkenstonemetal

 

Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments