Interview with Hail the Horns Guitar Virtuoso Marc Rizzo (Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy, Ill Nino)




By Mick Michaels



COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Marc! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.


CV: Has collaborating with other big name artists changed your perspective on how you write songs? Do you see things differently than you did before?

Marc: No not really, I write what inspires me from my influences. I never write music for commercial reasons.


CV: Hail the Horns has released a cover version of KISS’ classic track, “God of Thunder.” Was KISS a big influence on you growing up?

Marc: No not for me but Tony and Opus in our band are huge Kiss fans. I think though we did a great version of this song.


CV: Do you feel KISS fans will embrace the song as an instant classic or is the goal more so to reach a newer audience and expose them to the past?

Marc: I think Kiss fans will love it. We covered this song just because my guys love Kiss and we wanted to do a heavier version of it.


CV: Does this sort of "re-imagining" of classic songs bring up additional possibilities with regards to future material for Hail the Horns to cover?

Marc: Yes, we will be doing many covers from all the bands we have been in. But also very soon, we will have originals too.


CV: Do you feel there is too much genre separation within the music industry? And if so, do you think the separation is more on the part of the artist not crossing lines or more so from the audience driving the artist to stay in their niche?

Marc: Yes I think there is too much separation in heavy music. I personally love all metal and rock music and think fans should enjoy all types of rock.


CV: A new Best of Compilation from your four solo albums is releasing in September, "Living Shred, Volume 1." Will there be any new versions of some of the songs that will appear on the compilation? Any surprises fans can expect to hear?
Marc: My new record is just a best of my older songs but I really love this record because it combines all of my heavy electric songs on one record without my mellow acoustic songs. I think metal heads will love it!


CV: Is guitar playing like a second language to you? Are there things you can say or express through the guitar that don’t come as easy with words?

Marc: Yes guitar playing is my second language. I love the guitar and prefer hearing instrumental music. The guitar for me is the most expressive instrument ever and I would prefer to hear the guitar singing melodies then an actual singer.


CV: Many veteran artists are content with just playing the hits from their catalog; considering new material a waste of time for an audience that seems to just want to relive the past. But you are still pushing forward with new projects and albums. Is it a matter of not looking backwards to move forward as an artist so that things stay fresh?

Marc: I like to do both. I think some older artists may struggle in the studio with new ideas but I love writing in the studio and it comes very natural for me to write and come up with new ideas.

                                       
CV: As an artist, does new material make you more appreciative of the older tunes and vice versa? Does one inspire the other?

Marc: Yes I love to see bands from the past still be creative and experiment and showcase themselves getting better as they get older. A perfect example of that is Sepulture’s new record “Quadra.” It showcases what a great guitar player Andreas is and keeps getting better as he gets older.


CV: In addition to the Hail the Horns’ new single, and your solo best of compilation, what more can we expect to see coming from you in 2021 and beyond?

Marc: I also have my new project Revenge Beast which is brutal technical death metal. I think fans are going to love it!


CV: Thank you again Marc for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.

Marc Rizzo Official: https://www.marcrizzo.net


Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments