Interview with Autumn Ni Dubhghaill of Forever Autumn


By Mick Michaels



COSMICK VIEW: Hello! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
Autumn Ni Dubhghaill: You are welcome.  Thank you for having me.

CV: Do you feel that it's still possible for an unknown band today to be plucked out of obscurity and make it to stardom? Can a dedicated core of fans sharing their music make that possible or has the internet and social media changed the game?
Autumn: Do I feel such things possible?  Well as I am the one in obscurity, I would like to say yes, that I believe such.  After all, I have been chasing the dream for twenty years now.

I wholly agree that the internet has changed the game.  In one way it's great because more people can get their music out there and really listened to in ways that just weren't possible before.  However, the market is also flooded so with everything the internet throws in our faces…it can be difficult, at least for me.  

I try to do social media. I should really have the hang of it by now, but I'm just so terrible.  I need an intern or something, haha.

CV: Do you feel that given the accessibility and social awareness of modern times that a music underground still even exists today as it once did?
Autumn: The underground most certainly does exist.  Myself and Forever Autumn would not have made it as far as we have if not for the support of the underground scene….  This is where the internet has worked miracles.  There is a great community, at least in the Doom scene.  I have made many, many now good friends through the underground scene, thanks to
the internet.   

CV: What do you see as the biggest difference in music and how it is perceived from back say 35 years ago compared to music today? Has both the music and the artist evolved from your point of view?
Autumn: The biggest difference in my mind is the accessibility.  As previously stated, more artists and bands all over the world now have access to a wider audience that they may never have reached without super-stardom.  The artist has evolved in that many more, including myself, are taking it upon themselves to do it all on their own.  Some have had incredible success with this, often with the aid of social media sorcery.  

CV: Do you believe bands and artists who have the biggest impact on fans and other artists are aware that they are or is there more of a tunnel vision sort of process for them keeping them somewhat in the dark? Can influential artists see past their own work to be aware of the ripples they make?
Autumn: Speaking from personal experience with this, and something I often ruminate upon, I know that I have little knowledge of the impact I make.

Someone with greater influence than I, I feel, would have a better idea through the arrival of tribute albums, and other such things.  The impact that I make can be difficult to see.  Just a simple smile to a stranger on the street may be the one thing that keeps them alive, or inspires them to greatness.  

It is hard to see when you are the one creating the ripples.  These are reasons I really appreciate when fans write, or approach me after performances.  There, I feel like I am doing good work.  Even for us, that little note from a fan, or photo of where they put your sticker, can be the thing that keeps you going, and inspires you to greatness.

CV: Does music need to be influential to be considered worth listening to in your opinion? Or can music simply be just an enjoyable auditory experience devoid of substance?
Autumn: It can be an auditory experience but I disagree that it would be devoid of substance.  It need not be influential, but then, we may not even understand the subtle levels on which it does actually influence us.  Music is a magical thing.

CV: The world has been rocked by the COVID pandemic. The economy has been sent into a tailspin in its wake, unfortunately.  Bands worldwide have been restricted from performing live and for some it seems, restricted from earning a living.  How has the pandemic affected your band?
Autumn: With the pandemic, as with other bands, we have been unable to perform.  There is a level of income of which we are bereft, but in truth, we don't make much money anyway.  The positive part is that we've been able to produce this new EP and I have created a whole new body of work in my visual endeavors.  I do hope for pandemic restrictions to lift, but also when it's safe.  I do miss performing.  It is a part of me that has been denied for a long time now.

CV: What do you feel artists and bands can do right now to stay relevant, especially in an environment, such as the present, where performing in front of a live audience is being restricted? What immediate options do you see available?
Autumn: To stay relevant one should probably continue to produce work.  I know that many bands have been embracing streaming performance and videos and such…it almost seems the only option at this point, aside from recording new music. Fortunately, we have the internet, but unfortunately, we need to rely on the internet.

CV: As an artist, what have you learned from the events of 2020? Are those lessons learned different for you as a person than as an artist or are they one in the same in your opinion?
Autumn: As an artist I have learned that whilst I feel that I just pace and play video games, I have actually done a lot…the artwork, the new EP and all the technicalities that come with that.  I don't feel that the pandemic has profoundly changed my approach to my work as a whole, but it certainly has given me the space to create.

CV: What's next? What can fans expect to see coming in 2021 and beyond?
Autumn: You can expect a new release on September 3, 2021.  We have a new Black Metal EP being released and we are quite happy with it.

I should probably also mention that Aaron Stainthorpe from the legendary doom band, My Dying Bride, has joined us on the record with some wonderful vocal work.  I do hope that it is received well.  Keep your nose to the wind.

CV: Thank you again for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was such a pleasure. I wish you all the best.
Autumn: Thank you, this was a positive experience.

 


Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments