Interview with Tesla Guitarist Frank Hannon

 



"By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Frank! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
Frank Hannon: It’s a pleasure and sorry for the delay. This year has been such a weird black hole of time and isolation mixed with some positive aspects as well concerning my life.

CV: For you, is songwriting a matter of lyrics first or guitar chords first? Or is it more of an organic level of evolution, where the moment dictates the process?
FH: Every song starts from a different place. For me, sometimes I will have a concept or a story I’d like to convey lyrically and a phrase will enter my mind...like with my song “Sweet Southern Sound”…the idea came to me while stacking firewood and remembering my tour with Lynyrd Skynrd. The song came in an instant naturally. TESLA however would record demos of guitar riffs and give them to Jeff and he would write words to fit the feeling of the music, and sometimes that evolution would take a lot of time.

CV: Do you find that for many, the spoken word is often diluted and unclear where as for a musician, the notes on an instrument, such as guitar, are more precise and deliberate, thus, making songwriting more honest and impactful for both the artist and listener?
FH: I don’t know about how it is for many but I do know it comes in creative waves of time, where sometimes song ideas will flow into you from somewhere else without planning. Other times you can plan times for the process. The voice can be an instrument just like a guitar where you can scat music with your mouth or “jam” on a guitar. When you improvise like this for a period of time, musical ideas will start flowing and you have to learn to record them before they get lost forever. Recording is as important as playing in order to capture those moments and learn to truly listen.

CV: Music has been said to possess healing qualities for those who find a connection..."music soothing the savage beast."  With the current state of the world, can music heal what ails it in your opinion? And if so, what would need to happen for the healing to start?
FH: Yes because music is a great escape and you enter a state of joy when in the moment of truly listening to music. The art of listening is something the world needs to develop again as the cell phone screens have taken over our minds. Another great quote is “Music is wine for the thirsty soul...” from The Wild and the Innocent with Audie Murphy.


CV: Under your tutelage, Frank Hannon Productions works with a number of up and coming young bands, establishing development deals with them but also working moreso in a musical mentoring role. Is the music industry in need of more mentors for younger artists?
FH: Sure I think everyone can use a mentor at times in their lives, not just young musicians. But yes it is very rewarding to reflect on the learning I did from my mentors like Ronnie Montrose, and other industry people who taught me how to work and successfully produce music. I think the biggest thing we learned as a group was that it takes time to develop as an artist...and you’ve got to be patient to let the songs get better with time before releasing them instantly. To me the problem with the world today is everything is way too ‘instant” and there’s not a lot of value or effort put into creating. A good spaghetti sauce tastes better after it stews for a bit.

CV: What's the one piece of advice you find you’re giving again and again to artist you work with? Is it the same advice you were once given?
FH: Yes, listen…listen...listen to what you are playing and saying, and listen to what your band guys are playing...and try to make it fit together for the song. Listen to older people who have been thru experiences and listen to the mistakes they’ve made so you can learn.

CV: Frank, you have teamed with legendary guitar giant Gibson Guitars to build a custom signature acoustic guitar, the "Love Dove." Can you tell us a little about the project? What inspired the collaborative build and how does the guitar design represent your connection to the instrument?
FH: YES! and this is actually my first signature model guitar ever in my 35 year career. I am so proud that Gibson honored me with such a beautiful acoustic guitar. It came so very organically as my intro piece of music to “Love Song” just so happened to be a favorite guitar piece of Cesar Guiken, the new owner of Gibson Guitars. Cesar and I played it together a few years ago at the NAMM show. He and his wife Amanda loved it so much back in the day that they used it in their wedding! This honor came by way of a small but emotional piece of music I wrote 30 years ago and to have a guitar made from a song I wrote means the world to me because it’s as real as it gets. The guitar is designed like an old ‘70’s DOVE and is made with the finest maple and spruce woods you can find finished in a cherry sunburst.

CV: Hypothetically speaking and just for fun…if you were given a list to complete, ranking 20 of the all time top guitarist from the last 40 years, where would Frank Hannon come in at?
FH: Oh gosh, in my mind there are hundreds of greater guitar players than me. I’m just grateful that beyond playing noodle licks on the guitar, I learned to write and record songs that have stood the test of time thru a few decades and eras of changing trends.

CV: We are all inspired by many things...inspiration can come from anywhere. Music has been a source of inspiration for multitudes of people through the ages. Can an artist themselves find a form of second sight and be inspired by their own music? Is it possible or could it be considered egotistical and self serving?
FH: Everything is possible. It is even possible to take your own music for granted. Recently I have been teaching and relearning TESLA songs with the young bands I am producing to play at a local birthday party. This process has reminded me of the positive lyrics that Jeff Keith wrote and the time we put into recording those TESLA albums. I am reminded and inspired by the work and memories of those years…most notably the “positive” messages that TESLA consciously put into the lyrics and music. I would encourage musicians to put positive energy in what they put out and you will be proud of it later.

CV: Multi Platinum selling artist, producer, musician, singer, songwriter and podcast host... amongst so many achievements in your life, what do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment?
FH: Hopefully bringing joy to this world and giving people music they can escape to and be uplifted by. I try to be a good husband. I tried real hard to be a good parent and that was a tough job!

CV: What's next? What can fans expect to see from Frank Hannon in the remaining months of 2020?
FH: Honestly the year 2020 is still presenting so many unforeseen events I can’t say what to expect. I am definitely excited about mentoring and recording these young artists in the studio. Through my work as a producer, RED VOODOO has been getting noticed by Sammy Hagar and some other industry giants. This is very exciting. Also JT LOUX has been developing his singing and songwriting at an alarming rate from my coaching. So I will continue to work with them and hopefully release their music in 2021 when it has developed nicely and we can all get on a stage again!

CV: Thank you again Frank for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success.
FH: Thank you Mick and The Cosmick View for bringing positive vibes and artistic exposure to old farts like me! Peace and Love.

Check out Frank at:
Official: www.frankhannonproductions.com
Official: www.frankhannon.com
Instgram: www.instagram.com/frankhannonofficial

 

 Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia - Author, Energy Guide, Teacher
www.pamelaaloia.com




The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.











Comments