Interview with Guitarist Steve Lynch (formerly of Autograph)



By Mick Michaels




COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Steve! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: A good song is a good song…it contains all the needed elements to make an audience take notice and listen. Is composition and songwriting relatively the same then regardless of style or genre in your opinion?

Steve Lynch: As far as writing in a commercial format, it usually falls into genres such as rock, pop, country, folk and blues. But when you consider classical, jazz, new age and other genres, this formula of writing does not apply. Another thing to contemplate is the writing styles of bands in the 70's, who paid little or no attention whatsoever to the length of their
songs, how soon the vocals or chorus' came in, lyric content, etc...yet they were enormously successful. They wrote stories that came from the heart and wrote about topics they felt were important to share. Here are a few examples of some of the bands I am referring to: Pink Floyd; Led Zeppelin; Genesis; Emerson, Lake and Palmer; Queen; Moody Blues... and the list goes on. 

CV: How would you define innovation when it comes to music and songwriting?
SL: Innovation is imagination. Creating a musical piece should always come from within, not from without. Listening to various genres creates diversity in your writing. Personally, I don't listen to much rock, I prefer classical or experimental music. It helps to open my imagination. People should always write what they feel, it's 'their' story. Don't be influenced by something that already exists... because it already does exist. Take your listeners on a new journey by telling them 'your' story.

CV: Do you feel innovated guitar playing and techniques lend itself to better songwriting and development?

SL: It certainly doesn't hurt, but what I don't hear enough today is chordal progressions that capture my attention. When I say this, I'm not insinuating there should be more complex chordal movements in music; I'm just saying that being a little more creative with chords can go a long way. I like to incorporate altered chords, like adding in a sus.2 or 9. It creates an entirely different tonality, which in turn, changes the feel of the song itself. The more you know about chord theory the more creative your writing will become
CV: Steve, many critics argue that guitarists today are missing soul in their playing; that speed and note count has become more important than melody and emotional content. What are your thoughts on the debate? Has guitar playing become a "more is better" situation?
SL: To a certain degree, I believe this to be true. I think it's important to have speed and dexterity, but it has to be used in the right context with the song itself. Dynamics is key to a good tasteful solo, and to incorporate dynamics with melody and ingenuity it takes the listener on an audible adventure. Then towards the end of the solo it's time to 'Release The Kraken!' I always suggest my students listen to Jeff Beck, David Gilmore and Gary Moore as well as a few others to hear the “feel” and phrasing techniques these players incorporate... such as hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, bends, vibrato, harmonics and all the other techniques that make guitar such an expressive instrument.




CV: Has the last six months, as the world's dealt with a global pandemic, nationwide restrictions, individual levels of isolation and personal anxiety, forced the music industry to reconsider its methods as to how to effectively reach an audience given current limitations? Or do you see this time more as just a waiting game 'til the green light is given then it's back to business as usual?
SL: It's a waiting game, but I'm an optimist, so therefore I believe everything will get back to where it once was... sooner rather than later. The 'people' are the true power and no form of government implemented restrictions or scare tactics will detract us from what we know are our rights...period. If the people want it, the musicians want it, and the promoters want it... it WILL happen. And “we” will decide when it's safe and what safety precautions are to be administered to make it a reality.

CV: Where do you see the music industry going from here? Do things need to drastically change, a resetting of the sorts, for bands and artists to truly be able to make a living in a post COVID society? Has the pandemic been a wake-up call that a new mindset is needed?
SL: I believe it's a wake-up call, but for a different reason entirely. I think people have become more aware to a certain degree. They've had time to reconsider their priorities and to focus more on the things that are most important in their lives. And it's not only that, people have become more conscious of how quickly life can change without warning. To me, it has given me time to reflect on my own life and what changes I wish to make personally... but I can't think of any? LOL! The reason I can't think of any is because I'm 'doing' them already.


As far as the music business goes, I am confident the industry will find its footing and make the adjustments necessary for a full recovery. Artists will be able to make a living again and it will all come back hard and heavy.

CV: Steve, from your experience, what do you feel artists, of any genre, can do right now to be relevant and stay relevant, especially in an environment, such as the present, where performing in front of a live audience is being restricted?
SL: Keep your spirits up, keep writing, keep performing on social media, keep being creative, keep smiling and stay positive. All this will come to pass in due time.

CV: Do you feel there will ever be a time again, like it was in the 80s, for music as a whole? What do you believe made that particular era so magical?
SL: That's very difficult to predict. It was a very magical era indeed... and we were all very fortunate to be a part of it... and to have survived! With the 80's music, camaraderie, numerous concerts, debauchery, endless partying, MTV, outrageous hair styles, spandex, etc., etc., etc... I think one would have to jump down the rabbit hole and join the tea party to experience anything like it again.

CV: Just for fun, if you had to list 10 of the all time top guitar players from the last 50 years, who would be on your list that you believe exemplifies greatness?
SL: It would have to be: Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, David Gilmore, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, Alan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, Jeff Healey, Al Dimeola and John McLaughlin.

CV: What do you consider makes a guitar player great and is it something anyone can achieve?
SL: Originality, creativity, emotion and a unique writing ability is to me, what not only makes a great guitarist, but a great musician as well. And yes, I do believe anyone who has heart and determination can reach a very gratifying level of success. But you can't judge your success by how popular you've become or how much money you've earned... success is measured by how happy you've become in the process and how your music has affected others.

CV: What's coming next for you? What can fans expect to see coming in the final months of 2020 and beyond?
SL: I am writing my autobiography now and will be finished by the end of the year. Then all of my focus will be on my new musical venture, Blue Neptune, which will be something most wouldn't expect from me. From there, who knows... but I can guarantee you this, it won't be boring.

CV: Thank you again Steve for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
SL: It's been my pleasure and I'm already looking forward to next time. Thank you!

Check out Steve at:




Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   


My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice








March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.










Comments