Interview with Andrew March of WinterheartH (Canada)




By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Andrew! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: How would you describe the musical changes the band has made since its last album? How does "Riverbed Empire" compare, or even differ, from previous songwriting methods?
Andrew Marsh: Well “Riverbed Empire” has a lot more in the progressive direction along with the Blackened Thrash we're known for. Really showing my love for bands like Yes and Genesis. Previously on “Resettlement” it was the Blackened Thrash formula with my love for the Gothenburg and Melodic Death Metal scenes.

Now interesting fact is “Charmed (By The Dead)” was originally suppose to be on our first album “Curse the Summer.” At the time I felt I couldn't do the song justice and I already had “They Own The Night” on the album. I felt both songs may have been way too similar to be next to each other. One thing I always try to do on every album is have a classic approach to a modern sound…can't forget the bands and sounds that made us all like metal in the first place.

CV: Often times, things start at one point but can end up somewhere completely different. Does the new album take the band in such a direction that it's even surprising to the members?
AM: Yes and no. Yes because most progressive songs we've had prior were “Witchcraft”and “Dementia.” Both on “Curse The Summer”. I was experimenting in different sounds and synths as you will hear in some songs like “Marshlands” or the title track. At rehearsals, the guys make jokes now saying “jeez if we get festival slots we only going to play four songs haha!”

Now I also say no because this is the first album with the brand new lineup. I'm the only original member left. The guys knew we had to make something that would push ourselves but never imaged somewhat of a prog opus.


CV: What do you believe makes your particular style of songwriting more honest and impactful? Do fan likes and dislikes have any influence on how WinterheartH writes?
AM: Well my motto on my style is pretty simple. If it isn't something I wouldn't listen to on repeat or wish I could see live then I don't like it. I feel fan dislikes, psychologically deep down, influence you as a musician more than you realize it or not. Some may say yes because we had a bit of a sophomore slump with “Resettlement” but we also got a lot of new fans. Fans may say “Riverbed Empire” is more like “Curse The Summer” and they're not wrong. But I feel it is taking us into a new direction when it comes to structures and textures. The sinister approach has a similarity to “Curse The Summer.”

CV: Andrew, what would you consider "life's beautiful darkness" to be?
AM: Prime example for me would be nature. Nature is so beautiful but also unforgiving. Imagine living somewhere like Svalbard, Norway or anywhere in Greenland…beautiful terrain, but if you're not prepared, Mother Nature will consume you and you won't survive.

CV: How do you feel Heavy Metal as a whole is looked at compared to 20-30 years ago? Has acceptance of the genre become more main stream in your opinion?
AM: I think it's even more acceptable now than ever thanks to the internet connecting everybody. But even so, 30 years ago when you look at the times,Heavy Metal was crushing boundaries. Look at the Moscow show Metallica, Pantera and AC/DC performed…half a million people there just enjoying themselves and freedom from strict censorship. Of course back in the 80s you had way more disgruntled parents and that PMRC nonsense that backfired. I mean c'mon, having a sticker on your album that says “I'm offensive to some”isn't going to deter adolescence from buying. But those metalheads become adults. They get jobs and they share their music with their kids.

CV: What do you feel has been Heavy Metal's greatest contribution to the music industry overall?
AM: Heavy Metal to me showed the world you can have a music industry with niche markets. Look at how popular Extreme Metal is in South America, East Europe and Scandinavia Europe. It's great for a band like us in Newfoundland…a province in Canada where Irish Traditional is massive here. Thanks to niche pockets and the internet, my music can be heard in other continents where these styles are super popular. Heavy Metal I feel also shows you can make lots of merchandise and be more than just a band releasing music. Kiss is a prime example. Even Maiden for example has figures of Eddy and their own line of beer.

CV: The current climate of the music industry is touch and go; it has become more than difficult for bands to plan for the future let alone work.  How has WinterheartH weathered the COVID storm thus far?
AM: Well luckily WinterheartH isn't our main income. Although I'm also an audiovisual technician and COVID-19 has flipped the conference industry upside down. We had to reschedule some things. But because of all my extra time I can prepare for years. The music and entertainment industry is never ending with change and we always try to stay as relevant to technology as possible. We're currently looking for approaches in regards to livestream shows so we can still entertain you guys.
CV: What do you feel bands, of any genre, can do right now to stay relevant, especially in an environment, such as the present, where performing in front of a live audience is being restricted?
AM: Figure out how to do some livestream shows. Invest in some merchandise because the postal services may be slowed down but it's not completely halted. Push your music if it's on digital platforms. People complain saying you don't make that much, well every cent helps even if it is only an extra few hundred bucks a month. You didn't have it before. Doesn't hurt to invest in a recording program and interface and start recording music on your own. Lots of great programs out there that will help someone who can't get into a studio record some great quality music. Where there's a will, there's a way.

CV: In addition to the new album's digital release in August, what's next? What can fans expect to see coming from WinterheartH in the remainder of 2020 and beyond?
AM: Hopefully play some livestream shows if that pans out. In my spare time I'm constantly writing music…so many guide tracks to unreleased music …I probably got an enough for two or even three albums. Rather be prepared than struggling to meet deadlines once the world goes back to what the new normal will be.

CV: Thank you again Andrew for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
AM: It was a pleasure! I wish you and everybody out there all the best and stay safe in these turbulent times!




Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   


My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.








March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.








Comments