Interview with Mark Mangold of American Tears



By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Mark! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

Mark Mangold: Thanks Mick.

CV: Mark, in your opinion, how powerful is music? Can it create change?
Mark: A very good question and one that I think about, and wonder if other people do as well, as a number of these songs do have messages…even may be considered “protest”…in the old school sense.  No one talks about that much anymore but music used to be an important release and, at least when I was growing up, spread messages and said things that made people think, reconsider, question things… maybe even enlightened people.  I certainly hope it can and I do think that in the past it has…but we still can see how quickly things can unravel…and we need to start all over again. I would never give up trying…and, given the options, it IS a very peaceful and benevolent way to express views and try to create change.

CV: Should artists be responsible to assist with ushering in change or even to “educate" their audiences on social, political and economic issues? Or can it be a conflict of interest…could it be looked at as more of a personal agenda based on the artist's own beliefs and desire to use their celebrity status to gain supporters and create awareness not only for their causes and pet peeves, but for their careers as well?
Mark: I think an artist can be responsible if they want to or not if they don’t.  The word “should” is aggressive and imposes duties or restrictions on artists and that is the OPPOSITE of what it is about. The artistic creative mind is infinite and you certainly can’t stop it or control it.  You can CENSOR it after the fact…but it’s still been created…and we know that usually doesn’t work for too long.   I certainly do not think it is a conflict of interest…it’s an infinite choice…and artists should do what moves them, basically.  I find those who want to MUZZLE artists from expressing their opinions are not only unfair, but also are disrespectful to them as people, and usually just want to silence views they differ with.  Artists are people too and have every right to express themselves.  If they want to use any influence they have…why should they be more quiet than anyone else…screaming at the top of their lungs…for whatever they believe in.  Do plumbers, lawyers, electricians, doctors or gas station attendants have any more right to express their opinions than songwriters or singers?  Do you automatically give up your right to express your opinion once you get into the music industry…ha ha.  Of course not.   And the more important the issue is the more courageous I think these “entertainers” are (ie. taking a knee).  I think these celebrities have every right to use it…  AND it’s WAY WAY better than the alternative of getting violent…  These selfish, clueless idiots who say…don’t interfere with my entertainment…are simply saying they don’t care about what issue is being protested.   I guess it depends on whether you think that not wanting police going into your house and KILLING YOU…is a “pet peeve”.   Bottom line if someone wants to write about going into a club and dancing, or having sex, or racism…“free ya mind and the rest will follow”, or whatever it is…that’s what it is all about.  If you don’t like it…don’t listen to it.  But certainly DO NOT censor or muzzle it…freedom of speech…right?  To any confederate flag waving truck driver out there telling me I can’t express myself and trying to infringe on my rights because I am a songwriter or musician I say…whaaaa?   Fk Off, ha ha.  To those who say “stick to singing” I say…”stick to…insert your own profession”.  Ridiculous.

CV: Does music need to contain a message that could potentially make people think and act or should it be more of an escapism from reality for listeners...much like a good movie or a novel? Does it have to be real?
Mark: Again…that word “should” makes it seem like it HAS to be this…or that.  That is, in my opinion, not how it works.  PLEASE don’t make me feel guilty for writing a superficial song ha ha.  90% of rock n roll would be flushed down the tubes if that was the criteria.  It kind of is what it is, in my opinion. 

CV: When writing, what specifics do you feel a song should contain to make it worth pursuing as an artist and in turn, make it worth the listener’s time to listen?
Mark: For me it’s simply about conveying an emotion or a feeling.  As we know there are limitless ways to do that…  It could be a sound…it could be a slammin’ bass drum,  it could be Ian Gillan blasting a high resonant kick ass note… or the Ramones blowing your mind… but I find “truth” is what grabs me/people…  We are human and at some level we respond to some honest expression…  When I am judging my own or other people’s performances…my first…and probably only…question is do I BELIEVE that…or is it just going through the motions.  And it doesn’t have to be a “song” per se…just an emotion…a moment.

CV: American Tears is back after what some may call a very long hiatus. Do you see this new reformation as picking up where you left off back in 1977 following the release of "Powerhouse," or is this version of the band considered something new for you and the fans?
Mark: Since we released the Hard Core record, in 2017…and then White Flags in 2019…and now Free Angel Express…it’s been almost a constant flow of recording.  It almost feels like one big record ha ha…and it’s continuing…we have quite a few songs ready for another record…  For me it’s refreshing to revisit the feelings and attitudes of those early days.  To write songs that not only are only with keyboards, and using many of those sounds available in those days, but also to be a bit more creative rather than falling back on the safety net of “formula” and arrangement.  If a song turns out to be 10 minutes…so be it.  You can end a synth solo when you feel it has nothing more to say…the next part of a song is not predetermined…it’s more like…WHAT should I do here…and as a keyboard player you have literally infinite choices. Also,   in a way the present political situation in the world kind of feels like it did in those days…and that put me into an “American Tears” state of mind because that is what I was doing in those days.  It’s an outlet for me…you may notice some of the songs have an underlying anger in them…that if I could not express I would probably go crazy.  And I somehow seem drawn to trying to create beautiful tapestries…and putting beauty next to it …maybe ugly or maybe just…not beauty. And of course I love the Hammond and the synths and so just play…and keeping things flowing and evolving in the music…especially as these days we are all getting so impatient anyway.  When pot was the drug of choice you could do a spacey solo for 10 minutes…now…in our age of iphones and everything moving so quickly…we get tired of stuff WAY more quickly…I think that energy flow effects the music as well…certainly mine ha ha.  P.S. I was not a pot head…

CV: Mark, tell us about American Tears' new album, "Free Angel Express." Give us a little insight into the album's title? Is there a message for the audience to uncover?
Mark: I actually am still discovering what it all means.  Some of these things come in dreams.  I like the picture of…and putting together those words…Free…Angel…and Express (expression).  Somehow it means something and conjures a picture.  Why does stuff have to make sense ha ha.  It is our other mind talking…  And yes…I think there are many messages to uncover.  I am still uncovering them ha ha.  I find the language of music for me…way more who I am than actual words…though you may not think so from me jabbering away here:))  You just happened to ask some unusual and interesting questions….   But it’s almost from another place…a lot of instinct…and throwing paint at a canvas…and creating moments…and journeys…and a trip.  I think the lyrics act as a bit of a guide…but the music says what it says…and evokes feelings…at least for me…that have nothing to do with words.  My goal is often to make myself feel chills….moved…feel joy or…something CHASE THE ADRENALINE.  As an afterthought if it’s not doing that to me…how could it possibly do anything to anyone else...though that is not anything you think about or can think about.  WHO knows ha ha.   And may I humbly add, it’s nice…to listen on big speakers…not just iphones…or ear plugs…these mixes have a lot of frequencies…nice warm bottom that tickles your toes…it’s kind of a body massage…and we worked hard to get that…again…trying to convey emotion…that doesn’t just hit you in the ears or head…but all over.  Re: the title… …at the end…when trying to think of what the album title should be it was Holy Sht…express is a TRAIN.  Whatttt?  And then Stan Decker, an amazing artist, created the cover.  It took months to realize that “express” could also mean a train. Duh!!!   THAT is why I trust the subconscious.  It is SO much smarter than “we” are…ha ha…  But it IS us…so you say…ha ha.  Well…maybe kind of…but it’s tapped into ALOT more very cool stuff.

CV: The album hosts a number of guest performers, including Barry Sparks, Doug Howard and Charlie Calv. Does having guest musicians involved in the project offer a unique perspective with songwriting and arrangement otherwise not available to you working alone?
Mark: It’s always fun to work with other people.  Especially with the virus situation which is reminding us all what isolation or being away from friends feels like.  Alex Landenburg, the drummer, is amazing and was so helpful putting it all together…did you notice we have DRUM SOLOS on this record…when was the last time you heard that ha ha.  It’s wonderful to share and be creative with people who are really good at what they do and who you respect…and it takes the load off a bit ha ha.

CV: The first single from the album is "Sledgehammered." Is there a personal story to the song...a tale of being blindsided or an inability to see the train coming, so to speak, regarding life?
Mark: With Sledgehammered…actually the first song I wrote for the record…

We wanted to start the album off loud and crazy. It started from a little trick I had on the organ. Almost a guitar riff really. I built the song from that... I do think like a guitar player sometimes, but I think if 'Sledgehammered' were played on guitar it could just be another guitar song... not a bad one ha ha... but the Hammond takes it to a whole 'nuther fresh level for me. And I wanted an aggressive…or powerful…title.  It could be about anything…that shocks or blindsides you…but for me it could also basically be a love song…so yes…whether he expected it or not…”she”…made a big impression on him ha ha…but not to cop out…I really think that people need to get their own impressions.  I do not want to limit that…and really the lyrics just come out and I don’t always know fully what they mean.  Sometimes I’ll read stuff years later and go OOHHH   THAT’S what that was about….

CV: What are you hoping fans come away with emotionally after listening to "Free Angel Express?"
Mark: I don’t think there is any one thing in particular…there are so many different emotions and directions on the record.  I couldn’t presume to predict that.  One second it may be rockin’ and the next it’s another emotion.  There is anger there…and joy…and celebration…and visits to some cosmic realm…and some kick ass rock… I can only tell you how I feel when I listen to it…but people can’t be told what to feel and when to feel it ha ha.   It’s a trip…

CV: What's next? In addition to the release of the new album, what can fans expect to see coming from American Tears in the remainder of 2020 and beyond?
Mark: Well yes…continuing with AT of course.  We will keep on rollin’…  Sadly touring as you know is not possible.  We have a second single coming out…what is a single anyway these days on a rock prog record…but it is called “Woke”…are you “Woke”… well…are you? 

On another front, a nice little surprise…if anyone knows the band Touch…we are doing another record, almost finished.   And also a record I did years ago with a band called Flesh and Blood, with Danny Vaughn and Al Pitrelli is being reissued with two new tracks that we are in the process of finishing…so that is a lot of fun. Bluesy, rootsy rock… And some other stuff…irons in the fire…that may be a bit premature to announce. 

CV: Thank you Mark again for spending some time talking and sharing with
our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
Mark: Thanks so much Mitch.  Stay healthy.

Check out American Tears at:
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AmericanTears/



Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.






The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

 

 

Comments