Interview with Vocalist Al Aston of Atomic Agent


By Mick Michaels

 





COSMICK VIEW: Hello! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
Al Aston: Thank you, it’s my pleasure!

CV: Every artist experiences highs and lows. Many struggle just to move from one level to the next, and some, unfortunately, never do. What would you consider to be a pivotal point in an artist's career which would take them from one level to the next that a struggling artist should be aware of? Is it an individual mindset or does it equate more to opportunity?  Or is it something all together different in your opinion?
AA: Everything’s based on hard work and determination, of course, and you have to acknowledge your possible weak spots and work on those to improve, and only then you’ll be ready to move up the ladder. Determination is key, so it is about every member’s mindset, but sure, you also have to take the opportunities when you face them, you just have to be ready for them.

CV: What do you feel an artist can do right now to stay relevant, especially in an environment, such as the present, where performing in front of a live audience is not an option?
AA: If you work from your home studio and don’t perform live, the significance of extra PR work comes even more pivotal. If you do live shows, extra PR just adds on top of that attention.

I think that you have to try to be smart with your songs, videos and your PR work. If you can make some smart references or commentary – be they either in lyrics or in your music videos, for example – that can appeal to wanted audiences, you’re on a good path to garnering attention.

For Atomic Agent performing in front of a live audience will be an option soon, unless another pandemic lands upon or some other shit hits the fan.

CV: What have you found to be the balancing point between relevance and over saturation when it comes to being an artist? Is there a fine line between the two or can it be looked at to some degree as the two essentially being one in the same?
AA: It’s a fine line between staying relevant and not over saturating. Look, if you’re a major artist, it’s different as your music and face will be everywhere, but for us smaller artists it all comes down to being in the social media, first and foremost. I think if you start pushing out silly stuff several times a day on, say, Instagram, many people are bound to get fed up, and they either mute you or unfollow. Make your posts smart and keep ‘em coming every once in a while, so I think you’re safe.

I can mention an example. This certain band that I really like, pushes tons of short videos on their Instagram. They always make some extra effort with their vids, I hand them that, but they publish so much of all sorts of monkey business per day, I just had to unfollow them there. Also posting cheesy memes several times a day isn’t a good way to go, I always mute those artists.

CV: Is there any level of consideration, or even concern, to deliver on expectations, whether it being your own or that of the fans, when working on new material?
AA: Not on my part, no. I know what Atomic Agent is capable of, and people have only heard a fraction of it so far. This is just the beginning of the journey and it will be an upward trajectory. At least for now I don’t have to think what people are expecting, I make music that I’d love to listen to myself and then I just hope there will be enough like-minded people to play these songs to. I’d do this anyway because I have the fire burning inside, so in that sense it doesn’t really matter if it’s ten people listening to Atomic Agent or a million. The more the better of course, but I just don’t see myself doing just about anything to get more listeners.

CV: For you, what’s first when it comes to songwriting…is it a matter of lyrics melody, chords, beat, attitude? Or is it more organic than that where the moment dictates the process and outcome?
AA: You know, it can be any of those. The most standard way of starting up a new song is a new guitar melody or a riff, but I’ve come to notice now, it can be anything. In case of the song Breathe Fire it was the beat, that was first, everything else came after that. In case of this certain new song, that will be on the second full-length album, it was about the attitude and it felt very angry and punky, so that set the tone of the song too.

CV: What do you believe makes songwriting more honest and impactful...that something that both the artist and listener can share?
AA: I know this sounds a bit lame, but make something that people can identify with, and be honest with it, be sincere. If you fake it, they can smell you. Especially do NOT think what people might want to hear from you.

CV: What do you feel has been the greatest contribution to your success as an artist?
AA: To be fair, Atomic Agent is only in the beginning, but has already garnered a few good reviews and lots of good feedback from the listeners. I’d go with versatility and originality. You can hear a lot of influences for sure, but I don’t think you can say that Atomic Agent were a carbon copy of any specific band or artist.

CV: What's next for you? What can fans expect to see coming up?
AA: Atomic Agent will have a full live lineup soon, and I’m glad to reveal to you as the first person, Mick, that we already have scheduled our first rehearsals for the band. The hunt for a few more members is still on, but I’m confident that it will be successful.

I’m also working on new music and some video stuff as we speak, and there is a nice collaboration thing coming soon too. I’m planning on a couple of single releases in the coming months, then an EP before the summer, and probably a second full-length album in the beginning of the next winter.

I’m also expanding the sound world on my vocals to make it all more versatile. Atomic Agent is a beast that can jump inside many different coats very naturally, and still sound like Atomic Agent. :)

CV: Thank you again for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
AA: Thank you, and thank you for some well-thought questions, Mick!

Check out Atomic Agent at:

Bandcamp | Spotify | Tidal | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | ReverbNation

 

The Cosmick View

Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Martial Arts of Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow
"a Martial Arts History Chronicle"


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

 


 

 

 

Comments