Interview with Burning Witches Guitarist Courtney Cox

Photo by: Robert Downs






By Mick Michaels







Cosmick View: Hello, Courtney! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated.

CV: With so much negativity being said these days regarding music in general, where do you see the world of Rock 'n Roll going in the next five to 10 years and beyond?

CC: It would be a very strange world without rock n roll… so let’s hope the kids keep picking up instruments; the future is in their hands. Other than that, I believe all genres are on the same revolving turntable of popularity throughout time and I feel rock has reached the part of the rotation of becoming very popular again. Are you going to see it represented on TV? Probably not, but we are all used to that by now. You’ll find it where it means the most… real everyday life.

CV: Do you feel the multitude of genres and sub-genres has possibly affected how both critics and the audience consider music today as compared to 30-40 years ago, in your opinion? Is there less of a connectivity because of the over-saturation?
CC: As much as I cannot keep up with all the genres these days, for me a good song is a good song regardless of genre/sub-genre. I think the free will we have to enjoy any piece of music is more important than any effort/focus going into this ‘classifying’ of artists and their works.

CV: What's the transition been like going from guitarist of the Iron Maidens to guitarist now in Burning Witches? How different is working with a tribute band compared to working with an original group?

CC: Change is never easy and most of the time it is pretty terrifying, but in order to achieve your goals or whatever you may be reaching for, accepting change and leaving your comfort zone is a must. Jumping into the unknown is a risk worth taking in the music world and you have to set any fear of failure aside when you step down from a well established band like The Iron Maidens... tribute or not. It is a constant battle with yourself… is this the right move, right time?

When I was approached by the Burning Witches, I had a plan on doing both projects, but the constant traveling to and from Europe was too much physically and mentally. It was also not fair to my former bandmates, the fans and to myself not knowing which shows in the States I would be able to attend as my schedule was constantly changing. So I decided to put all my focus on one band, which ended up being the original one, Burning Witches. Like I said, it wasn’t easy making the decision, but I have always wanted to be in a killer original band that fit me and wanted the opportunity to expand my creativity and playing. I don't think there is anything wrong in pursuing being YOU instead of a career of emulating someone else. Was it a great time, great paycheck, great opportunity? OF COURSE…. It was just my time to start the next chapter in my career.  Next thing you know I'm packing up my entire life in LA, leaving everything I knew behind and finding myself living in Europe with a musical drive I haven't felt in a long time. All my fear or doubts were replaced with excitement.

Overall, it is definitely more challenging being in an original band vs. tribute. Easy to fill a room when you are playing the catalog of a top tier band like Maiden and obviously only this when you play it very well! Doesn't happen overnight either as building any “brand” takes time and dedication. As fun as it is and from my experience over fourteen years, it can throw you into robot mode sometimes as you know it is not your own work at the end of the day. I don't think many players in the scene go around saying ‘ I’M A PROFESSIONAL TRIBUTE MUSICIAN”; a lot of the bands start out as a hobby and some stay local/some take off all over the world! Music is music.

When it comes to an original band…

The outcome of all your hard work/drive writing, rehearsing, recording, promoting to going on stage to a packed room of fans waiting to hear material you helped write is priceless and worth all the blood, sweat, tears, fears or anything you feel you are facing on that climb up that ladder to where you are meant to be.

Both sides of the spectrum of course have their pros and cons. If the Witches were based in the USA, I’d probably still be doing both haha! 

CV: For you, is playing guitar like speaking a second language? Or is more of a spiritual and emotional experience for you and the listeners?
CC: I don't view playing guitar as anything other than what it is for me... something I love to do and strive to be better at with every passing day. Nothing more, nothing less.

CV: From your perspective, what's the biggest misconception fans have about being a guitar player in a Heavy Metal band who tours the world?

CC: That it is this big easy wild party and everything falls at your feet. You have to work hard for every opportunity you get. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. 

CV: With so many artists nowadays talking about the "dark side of the industry," has what you thought being a musician would be lived up to or exceeded your expectations, or have things not been quite as you hoped?

CC: Fortunately I started touring at a very young age out of Philadelphia, so I already was familiar with the good and bad side of the industry when I moved to LA to pursue my music career at eighteen. I wasn't and I’m still not surprised by much in regards to the ‘business’.

CV: Is there any truth to it… is there a "dark side of the industry?" Or is it really moreso a case by case situation for the artist and their interpretations?

CC: Nobody rides for free as they say and it is up to the individual to not be chewed up and spit out. You have to just keep your head on straight and weave through what seems like a lot of BS that comes your way constantly. Also little things like understanding “not everyone is your friend, has your back or will like your playing” and “don't burn bridges, unless they deserve the gasoline”. Some have it easy, some don't and that will never change. You can't view it all as this big evil machine, however, any business world is pretty much the same at the end of the day… it is “business”.


CV: What's your favorite part about being a touring musician?

CC: I really love touring. There isn't much I don't like about it other than the lack of sleep, losing luggage and the occasional food poisoning from time to time haha. You get to experience many different cultures, meet great people/fans and if you're lucky, meet up with your other musician friends in random places all over the world. It can be exhausting, lonely when being away from home for long periods of time, but it is something I feel I’m destined to do and I am beyond grateful every time a tour comes my way.

CV: In addition to Burning Witches tour dates with K.K.'s Priest and L.A. Guns, what more can fans expect to see coming from you in 2024 and beyond?
CC: Shows, shows and…more shows! The band really loves being on the road and playing shows. Besides all of the shows/festivals, we will be finishing writing our next album and heading into the studio. I will also continue chipping away at my solo album whenever there is any free time... good luck to me on that! Other than that, I’ll be creating music “content”… hate that term, ha, over on my CCSHRED Patreon.

CV: Thanks again, Courtney, for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.

CC: THANK YOU!

 

Check out Courtney at:

Instagram: @CCSHRED  @BURNINGWITCHESOFFICIAL 

Facebook: www.facebook.com/COURTNEYCOXOFFICIAL       www.facebook.com/BurningWitches666

PATREON:  www.PATREON.COM/CCSHRED


 

 The Cosmick View

Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Martial Arts of Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow
"a Martial Arts History Chronicle"


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

 


 

 

 

Comments