Interview with Guitarist and Vocalist Chuck Lazaras


By Mick Michaels





COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Chuck! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.
Chuck Lazaras: Thanks for having me! I’m happy to be here.

CV: What do you feel sets the band apart from other bands, especially those of similar sound and style? What specific allure does your sound and style have that has people taking notice?
CL: In many ways this album is a departure from my regular sound and style – so I began by setting myself apart from me. I really wanted to capture a period in time. So the band, Jon (drums), Brad (bass), and myself (guitar and vocals), took a step back and really focused on capturing an early seventies vibe. We wanted to pay tribute to one of our favorite bands, Black Sabbath, but we also wanted to be true to ourselves. We ended up with a fun, unique album.

CV: For any band, dynamics is key to grabbing an audience's attention. What do you feel is the main ingredient to having such a captivating dynamic and being able to bring something more to the music?
CL: You have to mean it. You have to believe in the music and in yourself. You want to bring the audience into your world while they are listening to your songs…and, of course, playing really loud helps.

CV: How would you describe the ultimate musical experience for your fans? And how does the band go about creating that musical vision, while generating the impact the band wants to have on its audience?
CL: Sit back, spark it up, and ride along with our musical time machine. We try to embrace the seventies vibe and incorporate that into the show. But it’s more than just wearing cool bellbottom jeans and leather jackets with fringe. We try to capture the sound from the era. I’m playing SG guitars (including a couple of Iommi SGs) and Laney amps. The band has embraced the experience – and we bring that to the audience.

CV: The music business has always been one that regardless of who you are, where you came from or where you've been, you can either sink or swim.  Does this type of realism have any effect on how the band drives itself to succeed? 
CL: I’ve been doing this for a long time – I must be a pretty good swimmer. The important thing is to love what you do. I make music that I want to make. I enjoy every aspect of it, and I think it shows.

CV: In your opinion, is there any middle ground for a band or is it a do or die climate in today's music industry?
CL: I suppose there’s always some middle ground. I think a lot of bands exist there and are comfortable. That’s not for me. I have to love what I do. I put 100% percent into my music. I don’t know if that makes it do-or-die. But it definitely keeps it from being boring.

CV: How would you describe the band's internal energy? Does the band’s outward appearance align with its true inward nature from your perspective?
CL: The energy is great. I’ve known Jon for closer to twenty years than either of us would care to admit. Brad has been playing with us for over a year and has a long history of making music. It feels like this team has been together forever. Each of us brings something special to the mix.

CV: What's at the core of the band's songwriting approach? Are there certain elements that are considered when a song begins to take form and evolves? 
CL: We were all over the place with this album. Some songs were born nearly fully written; others formed from loose jams. In many ways, the music creates itself.

CV: Do you allow things to just happen when writing; seeing where a song goes, or is there a certain course of action and structure you keep a song on, thus, essentially making it destined to achieve its overall potential?
CL: Sure, sometimes things just happen. Songs grow and expand over time. Every song is different. Some songs come together very quickly; others must age for a bit. When it comes to songwriting, I’m not sure there’s a perfect formula. But there always seems to be a moment when the band looks at each other and says, “Yeah! That’s it!”

CV: Do you feel how the fans and critics describe the band’s music accurately reflects how you would describe the band’s music?
CL: Yeah, I think so. I don’t think there’s any mystery about what we’re doing. We’re pretty straight forward. With that said, I don’t think there’s a wrong way to interpret the music. We all hear and interpret songs in our own way.

CV: Walk us through a typical show for the band...what can fans who have never seen you perform expect?
CL: The sound is big – we’re a three-piece band, but don’t let that mislead you. We generate a lot of noise. The three of us are great musicians and we play well together. We know our space and each of us takes full advantage of what our instrument offers. We just played a great show on Friday the 13th. This was the fist show since the album was released and we incorporated the entire album into the set. We played a couple of our older tracks that flowed well with the new songs and created a live experience that fully embraced the heavy doom elements while throwing in just a bit of punk sensibility.

CV: What more can fans look forward to seeing coming from the band?
CL: This was originally meant as a one-off project. It was something I wanted to do for years. The reaction has been tremendous. I am honored and humbled by the love that this album has received. Maybe there’s a Volume 2 at some point in the future….

CV: Thank you again Chuck for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
CL: Thanks so much! I’ve enjoyed our conversation.

Check out Chuck at:
www.chucklazaras.hearnow.com

https://www.facebook.com/chucklazarasofficial

https://twitter.com/lazaras

https://www.instagram.com/chucklazaras/

https://chucklazaras.bandcamp.com/

www.lazaras.com

www.chucklazaras.com


 

 Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 
 

Comments