Interview with Artist/Producer DiipSilence


By Mick Michaels





The Cosmick View: Hello, and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us! 
DiipSilence: Hey The Cosmick View, thanks very much for having me here!

CV: Being a one-person band, Describe your definition of your sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe the music?
DiipSilence: Most of my tracks are alternative electronic music; the sounds are coming from field recordings. I tend to bring a hand recorder with me while traveling, or just go out to record some noise. After de-noising and editing the field recordings, I’ll use modular synth, granular synth, wavetable synth, or samplers to manipulate the sounds and make my instruments. I hope, by using sound on location will keep the organicity and uniqueness of my music. My goal is to bring out the images of the scenery into the music, or in a word, to let people “see what I can see”. Also, music is a timeless way to keep the memories alive, to me writing music is the most expressive way to share my memories and emotions with other human beings.

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?
DiipSilence: I don’t think the connection is a must, and such a level of connection will be achievable by listening to the artists’ music, not on social networks. Unfortunately, I feel I’m not putting enough effort to get connected with my audience on a personal level. I still want to keep my life as my life, and my music as my music. Hopefully, by writing down these words, I can find the people who have the same opinion, or they can find me.

CV: Is fan interaction an important part of your inner culture?
DiipSilence: Yes and No. Everything is interactive with each other, even if we don’t notice. Just like everything can be made into a piece of music, a rock-dropping foley sound can be designed to a kick drum or mallet. So technically interaction is always there, whether is among human being other species. To be honest, I don’t know if fan interaction is an important part.

CV: Can an artist truly interact with their fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
DiipSilence: Yes, the true interaction will be on an aspect of music, not “personal”. As a fan myself, I can buy records, or other merchandise to support the artists I like, and I think the most interactive experience is trying to connect with the artists’ music, not the actual artists.

CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?
DiipSilence: Indeed, same as a piece of any kind of art, different parts of the world view them differently. To me, individualism and collectivism seem the most visible difference. For example, western films are good at making superheroes, while eastern films are good at praising the artisan spirit which can be found in every profession.

CV: Do you feel that an artist who has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?
DiipSilence: Yes, a band titled “Hanggai” is more famous in the US and Europe than in China, their music is unique and new to the foreigners. Most of us will be intrigued by something we are not familiar with…I love Sopor Aeternus because of the mysterious vibe, at that time I was really young and I didn’t know the lyrics’ meaning. Same here, the audience will be more enticed because of the foreign flavor.

CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
DiipSilence: Everyone is an artist no matter how modern the world is. “Art” is not unattainable, everyone can be an artist. We regard old frescoes as art, but some of them are just kid’s scribbling. Nobody’s calling a kid’s scribbling a masterpiece of art nowadays, how interesting is that? I guess we just think something untouchable and unfamiliar is so-called “art”. The lines of artists have been blurred for sure because everyone can be an artist, we may have carried art too high, but art is just surrounding us, everywhere.

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
DiipSilence: To follow or not follow, that is the question, LOL! Can I answer whatever, I don’t care? They probably have their own opinions, but I’ll never know what they are thinking. The artists who follow the trends may want to be more successful because they already followed the trends. But maybe the artist who sets the trends would also want to be more successful because they can talk about the new trends and they set the new trends. I don’t have an opinion on their choices, what I can say is, I respect what they want.

CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
DiipSilence: There are so many sub-genres that I need to learn them and try to fit myself in, this is sad; it’s the same as we are tagging people. More and more tags, more and more music styles, the only good thing is to give them definitions so people can “talk” about it, not listening and feeling the music. It’s also very convenient for apps to push a certain type of music to a specific group of audience, so-called the “made for you” playlist. I agree that there are too many sub-genres.

But I don’t think music’s impact can be weakened just because we are tagging too much. Music is a “thing”, we can make more sub-genres if we like, but our ability to listen and feel to music will not be decided by the genre of music. Music is universal, such as art. There are many genres in painting as well, but people loved Salvador Dalí’s paintings, not because his painting is tagged “Surrealism”, but because his paintings, are weird and moving, lol, right? Even if there are a million sub-genres, I’ll still love music anyway, because music’s impact, is already in the music itself, isn’t it?

CV: What can fans expect to see coming next from you?
DiipSilence: My next album is going to release on March 10, 2022, phew! Finally, it’s out! The new album is titled “The Ten,” each track’s instruments were designed from field recordings of different places. Most of them are from national parks that I traveled to. I collected those field recordings around 5 years…during the pandemic I finally had time to edit the samples and made them into actual music! For example, “The Boulder” is actually coming from a “knock on boulder,” foley from Joshua National Park in California. "The Beast" is coming from the animal sounds recorded from Yellowstone National Park. Other tracks are from different locations…feel free to guess where the tracks are coming from, I hope you’ll like it.

CV: Thanks again for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.
DiipSilence: Thank you so much for having me here. I really appreciate your effort to coming up with some interesting questions!

Check out DiipSilence at:

Music Link: https://smarturl.it/the-ten-diipsilence

Social Media Links: https://smarturl.it/diipsilence_music

Welcome to find me on every platform @diipsilence


 Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments