Interview with Electro-Pop Artist Evie Calabasas




By Mick Michaels



The Cosmick View: Hello, Evie and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us! 

CV: Describe your definition of your sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe the music?
Evie Calabasas: My style has changed a lot over the course of the year…you can clearly tell that just by listening to my past releases and my newest ones. I’d say that now the genre that would best describe my style is “electro-pop”, “bedroom-pop” or “post-teen pop.” I mainly focus on expressing feelings in a way that anyone can relate to. I tend to make the kind of music that I like listening to and I think it suits the lyrics and the topics I usually talk about.

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?
EC: I definitely think it’s achievable. The least an artist could do is interact with their fans as much as they can, at the end of the day artists owe it all to fans. I try to keep in touch with my fans as much as possible, but I don’t usually refer to them as fans, we always call each other “besties” and I really think that’s what our relationship has come to be honest, we talk a lot and interact a lot.

CV: Is fan interaction an important part of the band’s inner culture?
EC: It’s definitely one of the most important things for me. I love hearing their opinions about my music and I honestly just like talking to them. They motivate me every day and are a big part of my music journey.

CV: Can a band truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
EC: Yes, we do it everyday with our friends too. We don’t necessarily have to give up our privacy, being in touch and interacting everyday, or just sharing small parts of our day doesn’t mean losing our privacy, especially if the people we’re interacting with are respective of it.

CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?
EC: I believe music has pretty much the same relevance all over the world. No one could ever imagine a world without it and I’ve never met anybody who doesn’t listen to music or doesn’t have a favorite artist or a favorite song. I’m sure everyone has a different vision of that and there are values and meanings to music that change for every country but generally speaking, I think it’s a way of coming together and overcoming what people usually perceive as differences.

CV: Do you feel that a band that has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?
EC: I’m not really sure how to answer this since I mostly believe that it depends on the music you make and the language you sing in. People tend to prefer listening to songs in languages they can understand, so that they immediately know what they are about but that doesn’t mean there aren’t those who also enjoy music in foreign languages, I am definitely one of those people. I don’t think the country you come from makes that big of a difference when it comes to music, if anything, it can help draw attention to you for a little while but then people mainly care about your music. There are artists I listen to whose origins I don’t even know, simply because all I care about is their songs and what they have to say. I mean, just look at K-pop or the Eurovision competition, these two examples really make me feel that music transcends language.

CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
EC: I don’t think so…it has definitely helped artists and changed their perspectives for the better. Social media has enabled anyone, even those with fewer possibilities, to have their voices heard and to make an impact. Plus, it really depends on talent, digital technology can be of help, but that’s not what it’s all about. Everyone has a story to tell and I’m sure everyone can be an artist in their own way. Speaking for myself, I had the chance of being contacted by a London-based record label, despite not living in London. That’s something that wouldn’t have been possible but for the help of social media.

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
EC: It’s very hard setting trends when you’re a small artist who’s just entering the music scene. Setting trends is not easy, you have to be very creative and you need to have your own, unique style that stands out just enough to make everyone want to follow it. That’s definitely one of my biggest dreams, but you have to be lucky to start off your career by setting a trend. Following trends doesn’t make you any less of an artist, everyone does at some point. The real achievement is to inspire people being who they are, not dressing like you or taking selfies like you.


CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
EC: I don’t think so…over the past decades, music has developed a lot, there are so many genres that I find it hard to keep track, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. In fact, if anything, I think it makes music even better. It enables artists to express themselves and it’s also easier for fans to know what to expect from an artist.

CV: What can fans except to see coming next from you?
EC: There’s a lot of new music coming very soon that I’m very excited to put out into the world. I’ve been working a lot on it, it’s a whole different genre for me and a new direction I’m taking, but I’m happy I was finally able to do it and can’t wait for people to see more of what I’ve been working on. For the moment. I can only say go on and listen to my latest single “OMG”, because a new single is on the way and there are going to be many surprises along with it!

CV: Thanks again Evie for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.
EC: Thank you! And hope to speak soon.

 
Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





Vinyl Closet Records
www.vinylclosetrecords.com




The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

Comments