Interview with Lit Soul Vocalist and Founder Rob Chevelle



By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Rob! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it’s greatly appreciated.
Rob Chevelle: Thank you for taking interest. 

CV: With Lit Soul hailing from LA, the competition among bands is legendary. How do you as a songwriter keep the band moving forward with fresh musical perspectives while not falling into the norm of the local scene's style and sound?
Rob: Simple…we just write from the heart with not much concern who else is doing what. We like hard rock, but keep it melodic, epic, and intense. I have always been the songwriter until Steve Sampson joined the band about three years ago. Steve and I write together now and bring it to the other two guys and refine it to a product.


CV: Rob, being Lit Soul's primary songwriter, do you have a particular vision for how the band is portrayed and represented both musically and lyrically?
Rob: My vision is always trying to create interesting emotional heavy, yet melodic music. I'm inspired by truth, history, dark, yet positive roots…style, class, and awesomeness…at least we try. (LAUGHS)

CV: What are some common themes you like to address with your songwriting? Lyrically, what inspires you?
Rob: Some lyrics are about intense love and some are about secret societies…the shadow government we have and how they pull the strings of most puppet politicians. Honor and perseverance…I'm not writing about panties or drinking and driving…not that there is anything wrong with that. (LAUGHS)

CV: Do you feel your personal expression through your lyrics, on particular subjects, creates more of an intimate connection with your fans?
Rob: I would like to think so. I try to not push it in your face but the goal is to write a lyric line that is worded with craftsmanship to leave you with something that is very memorable. Something that really grabs you profoundly… 

CV: "Liberty in the modern age"...how do you see that as it relates to being an artist?

Rob: I think artists are the true dreamers and the true creators of civilization and are a lot more sane than the bureaucrats or politicians who mainly have control power trips and they are not working in the interest of the common person. 

CV: Rob, as more and more avenues are being explored to limit artist rights and expressive outlets, their works are often being exploited; going uncompensated and even unappreciated. Do you feel that freedom for the artist overall is in jeopardy?
Rob: Oh yeah. Metallica puts out an album and then it is free online the next day…like on YouTube and other platforms. But bands that big already made their money…and also make money from live shows and merchandise. But bands just trying to write music and perform wherever they can now have to do all the work. I think it is criminal that music is not actually copyrighted and protected. It's a product like anything else. To not be rewarded for it by simple ethical exchange of payment… like it was when I was a kid…at least from the first sale of a record, cassette, or CD, is not only infuriating, it's heartbreaking. I think it is done on purpose by the powers that be. They allow it. They don't want real art or real expression. They want to smash it and eradicate it. 

CV: Does digital piracy and music sharing affect the way you make and distribute your music? Is it a concern of yours or do you see it as another means of getting the music out there?
Rob: I try to be on top of the mediums as much as we can. I mean we still want to make albums and we are writing and recording as we speak. But like I said, after it's released someone is putting it up on YouTube for free. I tried to contact some of these sites and got no answer. 

CV: At one point, Lit Soul worked with famed W.A.S.P. guitarist, Chris Holmes. How did you connect with Chris and what was it like working with
him in the studio?
Rob: I met Chris a few times out at clubs when he was partying pretty big in the 90s. One time he came backstage at The Roxy when I played drums in a band at the time. He was looking for free beers, believe it or not, and of course we gave him some.

Then, through the years, I saw him around, and one particular night we saw each other again at the old Knitting Factory on Hollywood Blvd. He was playing on a jam night. I went backstage and we saw each other. After the show I saw he had all of his gear and nobody was helping him. So I asked if he needed some help putting his gear into his car. He had this 19 like 87 Iroc Camaro. He is so tall he took out the front seats and put in these low racing seats. He took out all of the back seats so he could put his gear in it. So we loaded the car and he puts his hair under a baseball cap as he said he didn't want the police giving him a hard time. The car was white and it had these sticker bullet holes on the side doors.

Anyway, he asked if I needed a ride home to Los Feliz and I said yes. It was about 3:30 in the morning by that time. I asked him to come inside and he agreed. We listened to music and he liked my guitars and played one of them. He ended up borrowing all of my UFO albums. He loves UFO and Michael Schenker. He copied all of the CDs and I got them back after a few weeks. I finally got the nerve to play him some of my music and then I asked if he could do a long solo over this outro section on a song called “Alliance.” He heard it and I gave him a copy to take home. We talked later and he invited me over to his studio. We hung out and talked in his studio for hours literally. He went on and on about WASP and Blackie Lawless too. I was pretty amazed. Anyway, he had all the recording equipment and he played the lead twice after he asked me what I wanted? I said I want to hear something like you did on the song “Sleep In The Fire,” I like that feel. He did it twice and we used the second take and it was perfect. 

CV: Was there ever a consideration to make Chris a permanent member of the band...on either party's part?
Rob: It never came up and I never said anything. I was just blown away he wanted to play on one of my songs. Shortly after that he moved to Europe.


CV: Lit Soul has been described as "Hard Rock on a crusade." What is the band's mission and message? Is there an end game?
Rob: One of our albums is called "Your Crusade." Again, I just love writing this kind of music the best I can and I can't help writing the lyrics that I write. If you like it, I am pleased. If you don't, it's okay. Our motto has been LIT SOUL is a melodic hard rock band that advocates Liberty in the modern age." 

CV: Rob, why do you think there are some critics who still subscribe to the idea that Rock is dead? Is there any truth in it from your perspective? Or could it just be a way for people to take notice?
Rob: Jim Morrison even said those exact words in the late 60s. I don't think it is dead. It's alive and well with many people and all over the world. I just think the mainstream controllers, like the world bankers on down to the corporations…they don't want any rebellious music out there. They want conformity…so they create music that deadens your senses and puts you in a bad hypnotic state…and with useless lyrics. Music goes through trends, but when the trends are controlled and it gets very degrading, it's just a sign of how bad off and degraded society is.

Miley Cyrus can strut around on a stage with a strap on and it's okay now. All the lyrics in pop, rap, and techno or whatever are usually mindless and don’t make you wake up, but instead they put you to sleep. That is the end game of the club owned by the Illuminati. You literally have to be in that club and sell your soul to have any fame for the most part these days. 

CV: Who are the artists who have inspired you?
Rob: Mick Jagger, Michael Schenker, Jim Morrision, Ian Astbury, Ville Valo, Cory Clarke of Warrior Soul, all of Black Sabbath and even Motown. Lots and lots, but those are some big ones. 

CV: Rob, who are some of the non-artists who have helped shape who you are as an artist?
Rob: Hmmmm? I read a lot and have studied lots of history and many religions. I wrote a song recently about Vikings and Odin. It's called “Straight Into the Sun.” 

CV: What's your biggest reward from being in a band?
Rob: Playing for people. The rush of a big show and about to go onstage…and always trying to perform better and communicate to the audience. Also, that final product when you are satisfied with a completed record or song. That moment when you come up with awesome lyrics or a song or a chorus or whatever. It's the journey of it all.


CV: What next for you and Lit Soul?
Rob: At this point all the boys in the band just love music and playing. We were doing a lot of small clubs and bars and now we are opening for some bigger bands at larger concert halls. I just keep going. I don't care if we ever "get signed" or "make it." I really don't even know what that means these days. There are no record companies. I really do feel if we were where we are now in the late 70s or 80s, we would have been signed back then. Although, it has been great working with MBM Music because Alison actually cares about musicians and loves music…and there’s no hidden agenda or greed. And what does any true musician always say when you ask what's up? "We are making an album, man." 

CV: Thank you again Rob for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
Rob: Thank you! Cool questions. 

Check out Rob and Lit Soul at:
Official: http://litsoul.com/

Additional edits by Alison “MetalBabe” Cohen





Like The Cosmic View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.










Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.


Comments