Interview with Original Judas Priest Singer Allan Atkins


By Mick Michaels
COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Allan! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated. 
CV: Tell us a little about the upcoming new album "Final Cut." What can fans expect?
Allan Atkins: “Final Cut” follows very much in the same veins as our last three AMP albums, very British classic rock but as heavy as hell in places…and the cover artwork is done again by the brilliant Rodney Matthews…really looking forward to its release and the reviews...

CV: The album is nearing completion and according to a recent Facebook post, you made mention that "Final Cut” could be the best album yet released with the band. Why do you feel that is the case? Has there been a different energy with the writing and production of this record?
AA: We have taken more time with this one…our last record company was like ''we need it now,'' ''we need it out for Xmas etc.'' And although they all sounded really good, we rushed them out…but now we have changed our record company and there's no more rush, and it's sounding much better…the songs are again all well written but with a more polished production...

CV: Allan, is songwriting like a fine wine...it gets better with age?
AA: Not sure about that because some of my early works, especially in my Judas Priest period, I wrote some classic songs like “Never Satisfied” and “Victim of Changes” which I would like to write something similar again...but it seems like it was just time and place...late 60's early 70's was a time of creation and not scared to open new avenues with your music....from Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath to Led Zeppelin, they were all writing timeless classic original material...I think as you get older (well in my case anyway) you think too much about what the listeners and buyers’ market want… that's why I give kudos to my old band when they wrote “Nostradamus.”

CV: Essentially, with you being the original voice of Judas Priest, your vocals paved the way for generations of Rock and Metal singers worldwide that basically defined a genre with the birth of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal in the late 70's, and would dominate during the 80's.  How does it feel to have made such an impact on music industry?
AA: Right from the off in Judas Priest I wanted us to write our own material and work our socks off on the road, and it was hard work!! In those early days we opened up for many top bands of the time like Slade, Status Quo, Budgie and Thin Lizzy to name a few…playing over 150 gigs up and down the country in 1972. I like to think that I planted the acorn and watched the mighty oak grow…and yes it still feels good that I made some contribution to the music industry.

CV: Unfortunately, situation had forced your hand in 1973 to step down as the singer to Judas Priest.  In the immediate years that followed your departure from the band, Judas Priest began to build steam.  Did you think the band would ever get as big as it did, based on the groundwork you had laid out?

AA: To be honest you can never tell, but after I left they continued the hard work which we always set out to do before, and with a bit of luck anything could happen...which eventually it did for them and they deserved it.

CV: In those initial years after your departure, did you consider jumping back into the game as Judas Priest began to gain popularity?
AA: Sometime after leaving JP I formed another band called 'LION' who were an amazing heavy rock band and featured Bruno Stapenhill, who was the original Judas Priest bass guitarist, Harry Tonks (guitar), (ex Budgie) drummer Pete Boot and myself . We were together from '73 to '78 and again with the same mindset as JP, we toured extensively up and down the motorways of England… but we had no luck with gaining a record deal and soldiered on through the punk movement and only recorded the one single… I think if we had carried on we would have made it big time…only not long after we split up the NWOBHM came along. Our sound engineer, Big Mick Hughes, carried on working with various bands eventually teaming up with a young band from the USA called Metallica who he is still with to this day...

CV: What are your thoughts on artists and bands using backing tracks, especially when it pertains to the singer?  Are fans being short changed or mislead? Should artists come clean?
AA: I've never used one but if you have to I would pack it in...

CV: However, it has become common knowledge in the music industry that many artists use backing tracks of one kind or another. If this is the case then are fans really being deceived or could it be looked at as bands are just looking for ways to please an already critical audience in an effort to put on a good show?
AA: I know an American Heavy Metal band who use them and their fans don't seem to mind, so if it's just entertainment they are after then that's up to them...at least they are an original band and not a tribute one!!!

CV: Do you feel that today’s bands are not only competing with other artists but also with other avenues of readily available entertainment such as movie streaming, video games, news media…with the internet being able to provide it 24/7 and at almost no cost? Is music and the artist at a disadvantage?
AA: It's a sign of the times and it has its disadvantages and gains...you just have to go with the flow...it seems to be the future of music and it's a good way of discovering new bands and artists...


CV: Has social media platforms, like Facebook, offered you wider fan base? Do you see it as a positive outlet amidst the often negative connotations it receives?
AA: For me Facebook has given me a bigger fan base and I'm now on my 5,000 fan limit and I can also sell lots of albums on there too, so it is very beneficial. I have also made some really good friends and met them in the flesh when I visit different countries where they all live. I have had people knock on my door from USA, Poland and even Japan over the years just to say hello and take a few photo's with them....it's cool.
CV: Your old Priest band mate, K.K. Downing, released an autobiography last year, in which he wrote about you very admirably.  Did you read the book and did you have any concerns about what he would say or write about?

AA: Yes I have read his book and feel quite good about what he said about me...I had no idea what he was going to write about as far as the Glenn Tipton issue, but found it to be an honest read....he seemed to get a lot off his chest…which maybe he has been holding back for years…

CV: In your opinion, do you feel the Judas Priest camp should have approached K.K. to discuss coming back and stepping in for Glenn Tipton given the unfortunate circumstances that has prevented him from touring?
AA: Some of the things K.K. said in his book about the band didn't help his situation of returning with them but I think it would have been a good move to get him back in. After all Rob walked out on them once and they welcomed him back with open arms…but a lot of people will disagree with me...
CV: Any chance you and K.K. would team up and do an album?
AA: I would love to work with K.K. again and we could write a cracking album I bet, but that would be up to him...

CV: Do you think there comes a time when a band needs to say goodbye to their fans...or just like the music, it can go on forever?
AA: It has to stop sometime, you either stop playing, (too old) or die...the fans must appreciate the older bands that they follow because they are not as immortal has they think they are...look at Lemmy and Ronnie, I still can't believe they are gone.
CV: Looking back, is there something you would have done differently? Or is the real adventure going in with all guns blazing and taking it as it comes and not to bother looking back?
AA: If I could see my time back I would be a millionaire, but no I have loved every minute being a musician over the past 50 years… starting out as a young drummer and just enjoying myself and gradually turning into a pro singer and turning my hand to song writing…it's been a long journey which is still going, but you have to love what you do...

CV: In addition to the new album, what's next for you Allan?
AA: I'm doing a fair bit of guest work at the moment and one song that I have just written and sang on is called ''This Endless Fall'' with a young exiting Heavy Metal band from Ireland called “Xero”… and who knows what the future holds…and I will keep going until I drop.

CV: Thank you again Allan for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was an honor. I wish you all the best and continued success.
AA: Thank you Mick.


Check out Allan at:
Official:
http://www.atkinsmayproject.com/





Like The Cosmic View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   


My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.










Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.

Comments

Post a Comment