Interview with LA Filmmaker and Musician Paul Gervasi




By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Paul! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me about your career and new movie “Cherri Future,” it’s greatly appreciated.

CV: "For those who had a dream and chased after it..." What was the dream...what did you chase after?
Paul Gervasi: To move to Los Angeles and make a living as a musician/songwriter and now filmmaker… To have a movie in over 70 countries was beyond my wildest dreams.

CV: How someone goes about chasing after a dream and how that dream is reached can be a subjective point of discussion...everyone sees success differently.  However, the destination is all about the journey made. At this point in your career, how would you define success?
PG: I’ve made quite a few mistakes and they’re the best way to learn, so it’s ok to fail. A big part of success is trying and not being afraid to fail. My process is set…writing goals out, pin them up on cue cards on a board, and look at them every morning (but don’t try and do too many). Knock them out one by one, sometimes it takes maybe three years to achieve them, but you can surprise yourself on what you can do if you stay laser focused. My definition of success is making a living from being creative and living a freelance lifestyle…making dreams come true. Fulfilling the goal is happiness.



CV: Paul, now that "Cherri Future" has been released, do you see the story…your story, in a different light? Can you view it more like the audience sees it or is the connection too strong?
PG: I only see it differently when I’ll get a message from someone saying that they were inspired by the film. I think we captured the best of what it’s like to be in a struggling band, and yes I still see it as a small look into my world.

CV: Why did you feel the story needed to be told? Is there a message you want heard?
PG: Because I didn’t want to just put out a new CD without any support. I wanted to try something different. I had that ‘ah ha’ moment! Let’s make a movie around the songs and real life. My feelings were that there’s not very many band type films (Purple Rain), etc.  Without being preachy, the only message I was trying to get across was “don’t give up.” …Partly telling myself that as well.

CV: What do you want people to come away with after seeing the film?
PG: That they just saw a new band with great songs, like after you see an amazing concert, the soul fulfilling experience. Maybe get to know us as people and that we are not your typical asshole loser musicians.   
CV: The movie is now available on Amazon Prime and carries a five star rating. Congratulations! Has the overall sentiment from the film been of a similar response?
PG: Most messages I get are positive, however you’re going to get haters because you did something they couldn’t do, or gave up, or whatever. I take it as my job to win these people over and turn it around.

CV: Paul, in your opinion, does living the LA scene offer musicians and filmmakers a unique perspective that others who do not are void of? If so, what would that be?

PG: Great question! Yes, because when you live in LA you have a much better chance to network and learn from the very best in the center of the entertainment world. More important…to know just how things work in Hollywood. This part of the journey is fun when you know how to unlock doors that were shut in your face for so many years. That’s if you can survive the waiting.

CV: A lot of artists make their way to LA, looking to take their shot at glory, fame and, if they're really lucky, fortune. What do you think separates those who make it and those who don't? Is it who you know, like so many say, or is it something else, something deeper...like a mindset or belief?
PG: Everybody is different for me. It was working hard, learning how things work, how to take a meeting and know before you walk in the outcome. When I look back, the things I achieved were things I did mostly on my own…not knowing anybody. Most people will not help you unless they have something in it for them. Here’s what separates people from making it: It is “they give up.” They pack it in, go crawling back home, etc. The mindset is be laser focused…don’t fuck around getting drunk and being stupid.


CV: "Cherri Future" is about believing in tomorrow regardless of how today looks…"The pursuit of happiness..." How did you personally come to the "nothing is impossible" mindset?
PG: I guess the way my parents brought me up, watching them get shit done, not blaming others, making excuses, or going backwards. I learned the more I failed it wasn’t so bad and I would regroup much faster and find solutions quicker. I read a lot of books Napoleon Hill, etc. What motivates people, etc. I look at Prince (Purple Rain) Sly Stalone (Rocky). Well they made movies, why can’t I? We have unmanned flights going to mars, come on! This is child’s play what I’m doing.

CV: Paul, does success come with a cost? What has been your experience?
PG: Yes, most successful people spend most of their time working, which makes it difficult for relationships. My experience is that all the white knuckle rides, running out of funds, not having much security, etc. can be a tough thing to stomach at times.

CV: In the movie you say the line "I know what I'm worth..." Is knowing that worth a key ingredient to creating a personal success story regardless of your chosen career path?
PG: Definitely one must have confidence (Freddie Mercury) (David Lee Roth) Yes, you should know what your worth is, how much to charge etc, have a personal goal of how much money you want to make, because you’ll have to work on a target. It doesn’t happen without one.



CV: What's next for you?
PG: I have a movie finished ready for release about the “Charvel” custom guitar factory… documentary film, and Trouble In Heaven is working on our next CD. Other films/ projects I don’t want to give away yet.
CV: Thank you again Paul for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
PG: THANK YOU!

Check out Paul and ”Cherri Future“ at:
https://www.amazon.com/Cherri-Future-Paul-Gervasi/dp/B07KNPMHVW

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cherrifuture.movie


Additional edits by Alison “MetalBabe” Cohen



Like The Cosmic View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.










Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.

Comments