Interview with Veteran Vocalist Mitch Malloy



By Mick Michaels






Cosmick View: Hello, Mitch! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated.

CV: With being back on your own, does it feel like a breath of fresh air?
Mitch Malloy: Absolutely! Feels great! Never better! 

CV: Your professional resume reads like a who's who in the music world. How do you think your working with so many notable artists over the years has influenced your own playing and songwriting?
MM: Immeasurably. If you're not smart enough to be a sponge and learn and collect knowledge from the masters then you are a fool. And I might be a lot of things but a fool isn’t one of them. To be fortunate enough to be able to work with the amazingly talented people I have worked with is a blessing for sure. 

CV: Your time with Great White was an energetic, rejuvenation for such an iconic 80s band as well as a welcome member addition for the fans. Was the decision to part ways in 2022 an easy one for you? 
MM: The hardest aspect was knowing I’d be leaving some of the fans. I was and will always be mostly in it for them. 


CV: Tell us a little about the new album, “The Last Song.” The entire album was written, produced, recorded and performed by you solely. What’s it like in such an environment of putting together an album completely by yourself? Who do you knock around ideas with…? 

MM: No one. :>) Nobody else contributes anything. I will occasionally send a snippet of a video of some audio to a friend just so they can see what I’m doing but that’s it. Ed used to call me and play for me over the phone all the time. It’s sorta like that.  

CV: What do you see as “The Last Song’s” signature representation track? Does one track stand out from all the others in your opinion that collectively tells the whole story? And if so what makes that track so inclusive?

MM: I don't think I can say. I mean I like “One of a Kind” the best that’s why I chose it for the first video but it’s not everyone's favorite. It’s already been called a very mature record. With being honest and real there is simply no way I can come off any other way.  

CV: There has been so much talk over the last handful of years that Rock is dead. Many now say it is a matter perception or definition. From your point of view, and with the list of successes under your belt, is there any truth to such a sentiment in your opinion?
MM: Not to keep bringing up Ed but Ed told me rock was dead while I was recording my Shine CD…which he said he loved. LOL…that was a VERY long time ago. So with that said we have to say it is NOT dead ‘cause here we are. :>) But yes rock is now a thing instead of the thing. So it’s not what it was. 

CV: With your brief but legendary stint with Van Halen back in the mid 90s, and your decision not to pursue, has there ever been a time since where you looked back and said “Well…, maybe it could’ve work?”

MM: When Ed fired Gary he called as the door closed behind Gary and was very emotional and said he was sorry we never pursued it and that he was sure it would have worked. I’m also sure musically it would have worked and I think I proved that with “It’s the Right Time” the song I wrote and recorded with Van Halen. But I stand by what I said when I passed on the gig and that was “Elvis could now come back from the dead and be your front man and people would still want Dave.” Even I wanted Dave. :>) And in fact Ed and I were speaking then a few times a day some days and when he asked me what I thought he should do I said GET DAVE! It was immediately obvious that was NOT what he wanted to hear from me. :>( Let’s just say the conversation was not very good from that moment on. LOL      

CV: What do you consider to be the most unexpected turn of events in your career and what came about from it?
MM: The call to be in Van Halen for sure. And nothing came of it till I decided to reveal it…which I’m still questioning to be honest. When I saw him on the tour he said “you know Mitch you’re a soulful mother fucker, anyone else would have been yelling how they were in the band and you just disappeared.” To which I replied, “Well Ed, I guess I’m not like everyone else.” He said “fuckin A you’re not,” and hugged me again.  :>) One of my best of many great moments with the king.

CV: What would you say now to your younger, 1980s version if given the chance? Would it be some sage advice, or a possible warning of sorts?

MM: Humm, you know I have a few people I mentor still. I enjoy helping the ones I see that have it and need to hear that. I help them. So I guess that’s me helping the young me. That’s how you could look at it. I tell them to be real, be honest, be vulnerable and mostly be IN THE MOMENT! Cause when you are in the moment on stage everyone comes with you. And that’s your job live…to bring the crowd with you. Of course it takes a certain level of power and enlightenment to be able to do that but the people I help usually get it. 

CV: What's next for you? In addition to the new album, what more can fans expect to see coming?
MM: I’ve had some amazing offers lately to be able to do some things that will help my music reach more people and that’s my goal always. I can’t really say yet but soon. It’s a very exciting time for me.

CV: Thanks again, Mitch, for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.

Check out Mitch at:
https://www.youtube.com/@mitchmalloy3468
https://www.facebook.com/MitchMalloyMusic
https://www.mitchmalloy.com
h
ttps://twitter.com/mitchmalloy
https://www.instagram.com/malloymitch/
www.singmarket.com

 

 The Cosmick View


Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Blackbelt Ammunition - the ultimate in self defense ammo
Family owned & operated - Made in the USA
www.blackbeltammunition.com


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

Comments