Interview with Philadelphia Author Dave Claw





By Mick Michaels




Cosmick View: Hello, Dave! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated.

CV: What was the defining moment that made you realize you wanted to document the Philadelphia Metal scene in this format?
Dave Claw: It was a series of moments, really. It started when I had to step away from playing bass with the NJ death metal band Spectral Descent due to carpal tunnel syndrome…it’s mostly cleared up now, thankfully. Being unable to play in a band made me realize that I’d like to keep supporting local underground metal bands however I could. This resulted in me running a webzine where I wrote reviews, took live photos, conducted interviews and edited together some videos. The hope was to get into making mini-documentaries, maybe longer ones eventually, when COVID hit.

Eventually the book idea was born after reading USBM: A Revolution of Identity in American Black Metal by Daniel Lake. I’d had ideas for books on music before, but that book was especially inspirational. My book was temporarily shelved to make a podcast focused on local underground metal bands, but it came back when I realized a podcast felt like it lent itself to more “surface level” interviews. I wanted to dig deeper and a book seemed like the more appropriate medium. The podcast or documentary idea may have worked in an alternate timeline, but my extensive background in writing lent itself to a book, so that’s where I landed.

CV: How would you define "underground" as it pertains to the content of your new book, "Philly Metal: Profiles from the Underground?" Is there a distinction when talking styles or genres?
DC: Any local heavy band who’s slogging away at it counts as underground in my view. Generally the more extreme stuff - which is what I consider my roots - is more underground because it’s less accepted. But it’s easy to lose context as a fan of heavier music. On the whole, this music is far less accepted than other genres. If you need proof, ask the bands what they get paid when they play shows.

Beyond the extreme styles like black metal, death metal, grindcore and thrash metal, there are less extreme styles such as traditional heavy metal (Corners of Sanctuary) and symphonic power metal (Anatomy of the Sacred and Empress) represented. There are also metal-adjacent styles such as stoner rock (Thunderbird Divine) and punk / hardcore (Half/Cross and Ides) represented in the book. I’d argue that all these bands and styles contribute to what we call the underground metal scene in Philly.

CV: "Philly Metal" profiles a number of area artists within the Philadelphia Metal scene...definitely an undertaking compiling such an array of stories and backgrounds. How did you come to choose those artists to include in the book? Was there a certain criteria you were looking for?

DC: I made a point to include a range of voices in the book…especially across age, genre and sex. The subjects in the book are half men and half women. That was on purpose. The demographics of the underground are changing and should be represented. I did my best to offer a broad overview, but I know it isn’t truly comprehensive. Hopefully others keep documenting the current scene.


CV: Being a musician yourself, did any of the stories from those interviewed resonate with you as being a similar personal account of your own journey as an artist?

DC: Yes., almost all of them, haha. It’s really amazing to see how so many musicians go through a similar journey. We’re bitten by the bug and we just can’t shake it off no matter how hard we try. In his chapter, Chevy McQuaide of the bands Skullovich and Bastard Cröss talked about a tough time in his life where he felt like he was just living for the next show to attend. It’s dark but beautiful too. To know he loved something so much and now he gets to be a part of it…and he’s in a much better place mentally, thankfully. Music is awesome. I live for it and somehow writing this book…despite all the work, anxiety and headaches that went into it, made me love it even more. Go figure.

CV: Does one artist’s profile stand out more to you as being the validation for the book's existence? Is there one story you feel encapsulates the theme of the book?
DC: Chevy’s aforementioned story fits the bill. But I’ll throw another one at you. In his chapter, Bob Stokes of the bands Oktas and Drones For Queens talked about losing a bandmate of his, Dave Sommer. Dave played guitar in Cloud Minder with Bob, who played bass in the band, and died at thirty-three due to brain cancer. I’ll let Bob take over:

“It was like: ‘Wow, this shit that we’re doing here is kind of important. It’s kind of our epitaph. It’s kind of the only attainable afterlife any of us can actually get that has actual evidence.’ Because I can go throw on a Cloud Minder record right now and I can hear Dave’s parts and it’s like he’s still alive. He’s still here. It literally lived longer than he did. It is his afterlife right here. And that’s definitely something that made me respect and appreciate other people’s music. It also realigned why I do a lot of the stuff that I do because this is my epitaph that potentially could live on longer than I am. This is the only thing left here.”

Bob makes a great point. I’ll add: if you’re a musician reading this and you don’t realize it: this is your life. This is it. Music is your life.

So all these underground bands do it because they love it. They need to do it. It’s their lives. I’m honored I could share their stories because their stories are passionate and real.

CV: Overall, what do you want readers to come away with after reading "Philly Metal?" Is there an underlying message you want conveyed that might not be so obvious upon first read?
DC: These bands are real. They need to play this stuff. They don’t do it for fashion or money or whatever. They like making loud, expressive music. Art without all the fancy crap around it is refreshing. Even if you hate the music, you’ll appreciate their stories because they’re passionate and real.

CV: Do you see "Philly Metal: Profiles from the Underground" becoming a series of books cataloging a larger cross section of the city's music scene?
DC: At times I do and then I realize how much work writing just one was, haha. I encourage anyone who thinks it looks fun, easy or interesting to continue cataloging the scene. I plan to keep writing about music, but I’d like to zero in on a specific subject for the next book. I may return to it one day though, you never know.

CV: On a personal level, what have you come away with, both as a musician and a person, after writing this book?
DC: I had a lot of fun despite hitting a bunch of walls along the way. It made me realize I want to continue writing about metal and that generally I’m much more interested in writing books than making albums or playing shows at this point in my life. But, like everyone in the book, I’m bitten by the bug. So I’m still playing in bands and making noise

CV: What's next for you? What can fans and readers expect to see coming up?
DC: I hope to have another book out in a year or two. Until then, I urge you to read this one. You can read sample chapters at phillymetalbook.com or screambloodybooks.com. You can purchase it from Amazon (you’ll find a purchase link at both sites). It’s cheap, I promise.

CV: Thanks again, Dave, for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.

Check out Dave and “Philly Metal” at:
www.phillymetalbook.com
www.screambloodybooks.com



The Cosmick View


Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Blackbelt Ammunition - the ultimate in self defense ammo
Family owned & operated - Made in the USA
www.blackbeltammunition.com


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

Comments