Interview with singer Colin M. Potter of Blindness & Light

 



By Mick Michaels




 

Cosmick View: Hello, Colin! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated.
Colin M. Potter: No problem, thanks for inviting me in!

CV: What do you feel is the allure your music has over competing artists and bands in your genre? What has them taking notice in your opinion?
CMP: Firstly, maybe the allure is that I’ve never seen it as a competition with other artists, I don’t write to order or with the intention of having a particular sound.The Blindness & Light sound is the one and only way these songs could emerge. I grew up with post-punk in the North-West of England and it shaped me into what I am.People who I consider to be the founders of post-punk, such as Henry Priestman (Yachts and It’s Immaterial) and Paul Simpson (The Teardrop Explodes and The Wild Swans), are enthusiastic about Blindness & Light because they are aware of the reference points and know that my post-punk credentialsaregenuine. Their support has certainly put fuel in my creative tank, which helps to drive me forward to the second album.

CV: Do you think internet radio is a valuable resource as a modern mainstream outlet for both upcoming and established artists? If so, why and if not, why not?
CMP: Yes, for sure. I couldn’t survive with FM radio alone. I live in a fairly remote area and the signal is often poor. Internet radio is a savior for me giving access to a wide range of genre specific programs. The vast majority of Blindness & Light radio plays have been via the support of smaller internet radio stations worldwide. The supernal support of Chris Currie from Mersey Radio is an example of this as is Sarah Wynn Griffiths from MônFM…their new music programs are the lifeblood of emerging indie artists.

CV: In your opinion, can an artist truly be independent given an industry that relies heavily on big budgets and massive fan appreciation?
CMP: Is anything truly independent? We all interact in some way with the environment we exist in, whether it be music or some other aspect of the life we lead. I suppose what I’m saying is that everything is connected. Even when you live on an island, as I do, you realize quickly that you are still intrinsically connected with the world. In terms of the music industry, I believe the best you can wish for is a level of independence. As soon as I write anything, I must feel I have something to say. This applies to all writers. I haven’t kept my songs secret; therefore I must be after some kind of connection with like-minded people. That is happening more and more each day.

CV: Tell us a little about your current project?  What can listeners expect to hear? What makes it stand out in your opinion?
CMP: Blindness & Light is an informal collective of people that I like to work with. It makes a lot more sense to me than the formality of a rigid band especially as I live far away from most of the musicians I know anyway. This ebb and flow does help the creative process by maintaining the vitality of what we do from track to track. This relative independence allows me to write at my own pace with no pressure to simply bang out tunes to fulfil the obligations of a contract. After 6 singles since September the debut album is due to be released on 1st July. I’m proud of this, I never thought it would happen. I couldn’t have done it without producer, Tony Denmade, whose tenacity has managed to extract out the best of my musical self. My music collaborators, Elise P, Henry P, Helena D, Helen R, Mike Jand Andy G all have helped immensely too and are keen to continue on this dive in to the realms of post-punk.

CV: Music has a way of expressing things that words sometimes seem to fail to. How has music helped you better express yourself?
CMP: There is music embedded in every thought I have. I can have music without words but never words without music. Words and music are inextricably intertwined in my head like DNA strands. Words always float on a sea of music …for me at least. It’s always been that way. The music at the beginning of The First Light Of Day has been with me since birth. It’s quite odd for me to finally have a representation of that on record.

CV: What do you feel your music is saying to the world? And do you feel that message is being heard?
CMP: As humans, we all need to improve or else we will destroy ourselves. Humanity needs to grow up soon and stop repeating the same mistakes again and again leaving any lessons learned to distant memories. Will a few tunes written on Anglesey expedite this collective maturity? I have my doubts but there is hope for the future, I genuinely believe that.

CV: What do you believe your greatest asset is as an artist? How have you seen that asset benefit yourself and others?
CMP: The cost of being fairly independent is having to do almost everything yourself. Writing music and lyrics, learning vocals and instrument parts, recording, self-promoting on social media, getting radio play, making videos, sorting out art work, merch etc. etc.  This can be quite an intimidating load. I’m quite relaxed about getting through all of this and it seems to have a knock on effect with those around me. I see the best coming out of those who choose to work with me. I love that!

CV: What more can fans expect to see coming from you in the near future?
CMP: Our debut album will be released across all streaming platforms on 1st July 2023 with the CD being available on Bandcamp (pre-orders available now!). A limited run of 100 vinyl will also be available but production issues mean that will be a couple of weeks late, unfortunately. This will be available on Bandcamp too, as well as 81 Renshaw St., Liverpool, The Vinyl Exchange, Manchester and MudShark Records, Bangor. The second album has already been written, so recording will start in September at Tony’s studio in Warrington. This should be available in late 2024. I also have a side project called Radio Psychosis. This is a combination of myself and Mike Juvenile, who is the singer/song writer of Liverpool indie band, KEEF and previously of The Juveniles. Our debut single, Television, will be released in August this year.

CV: Thanks again for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.
CMP: Many thanks…diolchynfawr. Look after y’self!

 

Check out Blindness & Light at:

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/blindness-light

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/19pK0lMcSxbAVWrVw55NPl

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@blindnessandlight

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100084764070852

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BlindnessLight

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/blindness_and_light/

Tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/@blindness_and_light?lang=en 

Website: www.blindnessandlight.com

Bandcamp: https://blindnesslight.bandcamp.com/follow_me

LinkTree: https://linktr.ee/blindness_and_light

 


The Cosmick View

Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Blackbelt Ammunition - the ultimate in self defense ammo
Family owned & operated - Made in the USA
www.blackbeltammunition.com


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

Comments