Interview with Guitarist Gus G (Firewind, former Ozzy)




By Mick Michaels
 
  


Cosmick View: Hello, Gus! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for
taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated. Gus G: Thanks, my pleasure

CV: Does doing an all instrumental album, like your latest effort, "Quantum Leap," offer you a more expressive outlet for your craft as compared to a release centered around lyrics and vocals?
Gus G: It’s definitely 100% me this time, cause the guitar had to take up that space that usually vocals occupy. I love doing instrumentals and always had them in my albums, even on Firewind albums sometimes, but doing a whole album without vocals was a challenge. I really had to dig deeper and come up with melodies, layers…try to push the envelope even further as a guitarist. So it’s my most expressive record to date for sure.

CV: Do you look at guitar playing as a second language of sorts? Do you find it easier to communicate through the notes on the fretboard as opposed to verbally speaking?
Gus G: I definitely see it as another form of language. And Music IS the universal language…it’s mind blowing how it can unite millions of people, no matter their religious or political beliefs. The emotions it brings out of people, it’s remarkable. Anyways, back to guitar – yeah I can certainly express myself bit better with it, rather than verbally.

CV: Has playing guitar all these years given you a different perspective or even a second sight on life that you otherwise you feel you would not have developed if you did not pick up the instrument, in your opinion?  If so, in what ways do you feel your perspectives were altered?
Gus G: Well first of all, music gave me a purpose in my life from a very young age. Playing guitar was the only thing that made me happy, so I focused on that. Later, when I started doing this professionally, music allowed me to travel and see the world, experience different cultures and appreciate so much more. My mind opened up because of music in so many ways. So, without getting too philosophical about it, yes, guitar and music in general gave me a total different perspective on life.

CV: Was the writing and recording of "Quantum Leap" a direct by-product of the "stay in place" restrictions brought on by the pandemic?  If so, do you feel the album, in some form or another would have seen the light of day if such restrictions were not mandated?
Gus G: You’re very right about this – Quantum Leap was the by-product of the pandemic. Had we not gone into that, I would have spent the past 2 years on the road; touring with Firewind and possibly going straight back in the studio with the band. So maybe my next solo album would have been delayed or who knows if it would even be instrumental? The whole “stay at home” situation made me think that this was the perfect timing to try out such a project. I’m glad I did it and I think I found a new path through this.

CV: Besides yourself, drummer Vincent Velasco and producer Dennis Ward, was there anyone else involved in making the record? Does having such a small compliment involved in making an album avoid having "too many cooks spoil the soup?" Or was it moreso because of the inability to get together with others because of the pandemic?
Gus G: It’s a bit of both. My biggest fear was how the hell would we track drums if we can’t get in a studio. Luckily, Vincent has his own studio and can engineer his own playing, so he got us great sounding drums. The rest was done in our own home studios respectively. I also did a bit of work at Valve Studio here in Thessaloniki with Strutter who has also played in my band in the past. So, the whole situation of not being able to see anyone, led me to decide to make an album all on my own, all-instrumental and once I finished all the demos and arrangements / compositions, then I thought who could help me out and play on this.

CV: Many things have been put into different perspectives and have taken on new meaning for a lot of people since the pandemic. Did the events of the last two years provide any changes in how you plan to continue moving forward being an artist and making music?
Gus G: Yeah for sure. I mean I realized quickly that I had to shift my business model very quickly and focus online 100%. We did a lot of work through our socials before the pandemic anyways, but now it’s even stronger. The visuals play a big role, so videos on Youtube, livestreams and dropping videos at a quicker pace, was key factor to all my projects. It’s fun and I like the whole DIY approach, you can do so much from home these days. But I do miss playing live and I don’t wanna give that up, cause I come from the touring background.

CV: Creatively, as a guitar player, is there a big difference between working with a live drummer and programming a drum machine? Does one offer more flexibility than the other? Besides a level of convenience, in your opinion, what do you feel works best for you?
Gus G: Funny you mentioned this, cause my plan was to use a drum machine on this album originally. I usually write and program all drum parts on my demos. Then I show it to the band and we re-create them but each player adds their own twist to it. I’m glad that Vincent came along and I didn’t end up going with programmed drums, cause he definitely added that human factor that is valuable and of course he changed a few parts here and there that made more sense. I want my music to sound organic always, even though we worked from a distance.

CV: In addition to the new video for "Night Driver" and continued album promotion for "Quantum Leap," what more can fans expect to see coming from you in 2022?
Gus G: Well, I’m planning to film a full band performance of the album at a very nice studio with cool production and we hope to release this as an on-demand video download later this year. Other than that, it looks like Firewind is getting back on the road with tours in the US and parts of Europe underway as well as playing some festival shows this summer.

CV: Thanks again Gus for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.
Gus G: Thanks guys!



 Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 
 

Comments