Interview with Artist Kyle Chatham



By Mick Michaels





Cosmick View: Hello, Kyle! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated.

CV: Describe your definition of your sound and style and how does
that definition uniquely describe the music?

Kyle Chatham: I think my sound is a mixture of many different things both musically and otherwise. It has elements of indie folk, ambient textures, dark indie, electronic among other more subtle things that slip in. It's the result of life experience and everything I encounter whether artistically or in everyday life. Everything I listen to is filtering through my brain in some way and translated into this new universe that I slowly chip away at and add to. To make a world of music and style that is layered and detailed has always been my intention and is what I continue to try and do every time I create new things.

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a
level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you
made the connection to your fans?

KC: I think it is achievable for sure, but I think the degree of which it's achievable depends on what kind of artist you are. Some artists are fairly off the grid and hard to read and that's can be intriguing while some artists you seemingly can't escape their omnipresence. I don't have a problem developing a connection and I'm fairly active on things like Instagram and so on, but I think having it as a necessity is overrated and just a product of this specific time. As far as developing a connection myself, I haven't ventured into too much yet but it's really a process of trial and error and always just doing things you're comfortable with. Ultimately the music is the most important thing. It seems strange to have to remind people of that but there are artists I see who seem to have more of a social media presence than a musical one. That's just my view though I suppose. 


CV: Is fan interaction an important part of your own inner culture as an artist?

KC: At this stage I don't have much of a fanbase, and I'm not sure how I'd necessarily respond to each level of it, but I'm always keen to show appreciation for people who support what I do and I'm sure it would be an important part for me to interact in a suitable way for me when the time comes. 


CV: Can an artist truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of
personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal
space” in your opinion?

KC: Sure. It just depends how you do it really. Stopping to speak to people after shows for 10 minutes won't massively impact your personal privacy or anything, but it's important to set a boundary for yourself early on and learn when to say no. The right people will understand you aren't rude; you just have to protect yourself. 

CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your
opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple
views among various cultures?

KC: I'm not sure I can speak on that too heavily. I will say you notice country to country audience engagement at live shows differs entirely. Places like San Paulo and Rio de Janeiro have some of the loudest and most passionate live audiences I've ever seen. Places like Japan often have the audience so incredibly silent when the music is playing and only applauding when the song is completely finished when you could hear a pin drop. I think both come from a place of extreme appreciation and gratitude for the artist making the effort to come and perform in that country as it doesn't happen as often. I think it totally depends on genre too in respect to what people buy music or stream it, what people listen to albums or just singles in playlists, what people go to live shows or just stream for pleasure and nothing more. Generally music is taken for granted in the west and is not valued financially whatsoever by government or business. The last two years politically and the antics of companies like Spotify are evidence of that devaluing.

CV: Do you feel that an artist or band that has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?

KC: Not really. It's a case by case basis. I have no idea what the general appeal is in America as I'm not American but with regards to things connecting just because they're foreign I don't think is true really. Obviously these days BTS are massive in the west, maybe there is something to do with the difference in culture that makes it more exciting but I'm not sure. When you look at a band like Oasis, who were the biggest thing in the UK for a while, could barely break America to nearly the same degree - I think it depends on the act itself and if the sentiment connects. I'm not sure it matters either. It's so hard for artists to break through and connect generally that if they connect anywhere in a big way - they'll be sure to go there as a priority. 

CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some
level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been
blurred?

KC: Not really. I think it democratizes it slightly more, but it comes with its own hurdles. It works better for you if you are a certain age and willing to engage with the machine. That's all it really is, a new machine. It makes it easier for everyone to get started and skilled at things better which is great, but making you an artist is debatable. The idea that you can put together a Tik Tok or a reel quite well makes you a video editor is ridiculous and probably insulting - even though to a degree that is what you're doing. The way creative moves and operates is constantly changing but I don't think it's anything we have to worry about too heavily.  

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows
trends and one who sets them?

KC: One is an artist and the other isn't.

CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort
to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in
actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?

KC: I think genres generally are designed to stop music from happening properly. It's perhaps most clear when artists of color make music that is obviously experimental or folk or art pop or whatever it is and it ends up being labeled things like 'urban', 'R'n'B', 'experimental hip hop' or whatever. Genres are there to maintain the status quo of the way the larger music business works  and it is an issue. Having said that, I think it is a natural human instinct to need categorization and labeling for almost everything they engage with in life. It's part of making something consumable by trying to explain it on a tin and selling it. An unfortunate bi product, but one I don't think we will ever truly get rid of. I think we are starting to see small changes in the way it operates though and listeners are generally smarter in this post streaming age.

CV: What can fans except to see coming next from you?KC: I have just released my new single “Valentine,” and have another new single coming at the end of March, plus hopefully a bunch of live shows in London. 

CV: Thanks again Kyle for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.

Check out Kyle Chatham at:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/6UZ9D0skbVF6Zn5gn691En
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/kylechatham__/
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/KyleChatham10


 Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

 

 

Comments