Interview with Viking Metal Solo Artist Ren Marabou


By Mick Michaels




The Cosmick View: Hello, and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us!


CV: Describe your definition of your sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe the music?
Ren Marabou: I am a Viking Metal/Rock solo artist. My sound is based on Viking Metal, but I draw inspiration from a lot of other rock and metal sub-genres. Lyrically I write about all things Norse Mythology, Norse lore and Norse Paganism as well as historical tales from the Viking age.

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?
RM: I believe it to be very important to connect and engage with fans. Thankfully with all the social media platforms at our disposal these days connecting with fans is more possible than ever. I am very lucky to have amazing supporters who I am able to engage with on my socials daily.    

CV: Is fan interaction an important part of your inner culture?
RM: It is an extremely important and a very rewarding aspect of my inner culture. Interaction with fans and the people I work with always brings out inspiration. I feel very fortunate to have a constant flow of inspiration from the amazing people I know.

CV: Can a band truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
RM: I guess lines are crossed for mega big rockstars but I guess it is doable if you interact through official band channels and not through private ones such as private socials, etc.  

CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?
RM: Music is universally valued in my opinion. Some countries place a higher value on specific musical styles but music of all genres is an intrinsic part of every culture today. I have been lucky to meet Metalheads and Rockers from all over the globe who listen to my music from Ireland to America, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, Australia, India, Norway, Germany, Greece, Argentina, Spain, Bolivia, Poland, Columbia, Finland and the UK to name a few. Like I always say, Metal and Rock fans are the same people no matter what country they are from. It's a culture and a way of life and the music is at the center of it all.     

CV: Do you feel that a band that has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?

RM: In my experience it can go either way. I'm currently enjoying amazing support from the good folks of America who seem to be very much enjoying my Norse Gael spin on Viking Metal/Rock. 

CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
RM: Anyone who creates art is an artist. Some are fortunate enough to be recognized by the public for their art and some are not. The level of an artist can change constantly as the more you put in the more you get out of it. There are so many ways for people to share their art and passions today, which is fantastic. Without creativity and people enjoying creating where would we be as a society? So create your art and enjoy it no matter what level you are at.

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
RM: I guess not everyone can be a trend setter, but every now and then someone comes along and sparks off inspiration and paves the way for others. Both are important. One starts a movement and the others help to keep it going.

CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
RM: Music has evolved and since the genre cross overs kicked in, the sub-genre phenomenon was inevitable. It may divide audiences somewhat but I don't believe it has had a negative impact on today’s music scenes. I for one would go see Slayer one week, Deftones the next, Amon Amarth the next week and Winery Dogs the following one. Having a preferred sub-genre doesn't mean you don't enjoy others. As an artist I find sub-genres and cross over styles have opened up the gates on creativity and has eliminate the boundaries of genre. 

CV: What can fans except to see coming next from you?
RM: On May 1st 2021 we released my new album “Valhalla Waits” through Misanthropik Records which is available on all streaming and download platforms. At the minute we are working hard promoting the release. Work on my next album has also begun. It's looking likely that a late summer release could be in the pipeline. Updates can be found on my Facebook, Instagram and the Misanthropik Facebook and website.    

CV: Thanks again for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.

 

Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





Vinyl Closet Records
www.vinylclosetrecords.com




The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

Comments