Interview with Singer/Songwriter Christopher Taylor







By Mick Michaels




The Cosmick View: Hello, Christopher and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us! 

CV: Describe your definition of the band’s sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe the music?
Christopher Taylor: I’m a singer songwriter but my style doesn’t easily fit neatly into one genre. There’s a mix of rock, indie, pop and jazz in my tunes and melodies. So yes, I guess my music is unique.
;-)

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?
CT: I think there is a connection. Obviously the connection you get in a stadium is a little different to that of a 100 seater gig but I believe it’s still there. In the last year I’ve tried to get that connection across through social media because we’ve not been able to gig. I've done a lot of promoting songs and I’ve had a little success but can’t wait till we play live again and get it again in a gig situation where I think it’s a lot easier.

CV: Is fan interaction an important part of the band’s inner culture?
CT: Yes. Whilst I write in a style that reflects me, I also write to interact with others. Sharing my music gives such a buzz and excitement.

CV: Can a band truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
CT: I think it can, but needs to be managed. Make time to ensure you get the balance between personal space and fan space right. I guess this can become much more difficult the more famous you become so I'd quite like to test that out.

CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?
CT: I’m not so sure…there are definitely areas where values may be different but if you look at the success of many acts across the globe with the access to digital platforms it looks to me like countries everywhere are engaged with artists. Maybe the issue of values is more of a personal level wherever you live. Personal access, rather than just radio and TV, has made a massive difference.

CV: Do you feel that a band that has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?
CT: Not always. History shows many acts with international appeal struggling to connect with American audiences. But now that individual direct access to acts is possible for fans wherever they live and not just through media and press, I think that connection is very, very different.  I think when I look at the followers on some of the platforms I'm on I have more American and South American fans than UK fans so maybe your first question is true! There are still many bands though that enjoy more European than American success.

CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
CT: Yes and yes. Whilst this has opened up opportunities to some real stars there is, in my opinion, also a lot of noise out there which then stifles good artists and holds them back because of the volume of mediocrity.

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
CT: The one who sets them has, in the majority of cases, the upper hand. I often look at some artists and think, “Damn I wish I’d done that first!!” Again the digital age has made it a little easier for trial-blazers to rise to the top.

CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
CT: My immediate reaction to this is yes, but then as I reflect and think about bands I follow and have listened to over the years, all of them dabble in other styles and genres even if it’s just a move to a laid back ballad. We do often pigeon hole artists to quickly into specific genres and then they go and surprise us!

CV: What can fans except to see coming next from you?
CT: I have a new single coming out June 4th called “By My Side.” In line with your last question, let’s put it in the alternative-indie bag. ;-)

Also lots of new songs to record this year and get back into gigging again…and I can’t wait!

CV: Thanks again Christopher for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.

  
 

Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com




Vinyl Closet Records
www.vinylclosetrecords.com




The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

Comments