Interview with Guitarist and Singer Hector Anchondo




By Mick Michaels



COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Hector! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: Every artist experiences highs and lows. Many struggle just to move from one level to the next, and some, unfortunately, never do. What would you consider to be a pivotal point in an artist's career which would take them from one level to the next that a struggling artist should be aware of? Is it an individual mindset or does it equate more to opportunity?  Or is it something all together different in your opinion?
Hector Anchondo: Advancing to the next level is very hard to do and is hard to know when it happens or what it even is.  I would consider one big step forward is getting enough shows put together to start out doing small tours. Even two or three days at a time in clover shapes around your area. Part of advancing is knowing what advancing is first. I'd say it's both a mindset and more opportunity, I'd be focused on the opportunity first and try your best to keep your mind/ego in check. Remind yourself often that you're not doing this for any other reason other than your love of music. Something else to consider in advancing is your audience's perception of you. If you can get the audience to believe, therefore you are. 
 

CV: What do you feel an artist can do right now to stay relevant, especially in an environment, such as the present, where performing in front of a live audience is not an option?
HA: The best thing an artist can do is to find anything interesting to post about on your social media page that will remind folks you're still out there. It's also a great way to connect to your audience by letting them relate to you. Posting stuff about what you're doing to keep yourself busy during the pandemic is a fantastic way to relate to your audience and also helps remind them they're not alone. We all need those reminders during this time. Also do livestreams!  Think about how the TV world does their shows, it's the same time every week, folks get used to that time and will make it part of their weekly schedule. Come up with a catchy name for your weekly livestream. That will really help you stay relevant.



CV: What have you found to be the balancing point between relevance and over saturation when it comes to being an artist? Is there a fine line between the two or can it be looked at to some degree as the two essentially being one in the same?
HA: Finding that balance is not an easy thing to do. On one hand you want to stay present and on the other you don't want to drive anyone crazy with overwhelming amounts of updates. I'd say one or two a day would be great. Or even a few a week. Once you get into a rhythm of posting folks won't notice when you start to add more updates in there. There is a fine line between the two making them one in the same, but if you go too far one way or the other it becomes a very different experience for your audience.  

CV: Is there any level of consideration, or even concern, to deliver on expectations, whether it being your own or that of the fans, when working on new material?
HA: I think it is always important to consider your audience when writing, after all we're in the business to entertain, make folks feel, make them forget, and take them away to someplace special. In addition, it's also important to write from a truly authentic place in your soul, so when considering your audience it does have to mean it's not "you" it means you're being mindful. That is good. There's a way to write for the fans and also write from the soul and be genuine. I think the fans will choose something genuine over something you think they'd obviously like. I think we should give the listeners more credit for the music connoisseurs that they are. If it's good and genuine, they will love it.
 

CV: Do you find music, particularly your own music, as a means of relaxation? Does it have a calming effect on you?  If not, where  are you able to find peace when you need it?
HA: Writing and playing my music is definitely a form of therapy for me. It centers me and always makes me forget and gives my mind, body, and soul a break from the natural stresses of life; bills, logistics, always being on time, not forgetting things even when they're written down and put in your phone. I still meditate to also help me get centered. I think a healthy mind, makes for a healthy musician. When you have a healthy mind, body, and soul off stage, the music sounds better when you're on stage.


CV: For you, is songwriting a matter of lyrics first or melody first? Or is it more organic than that where the moment dictates the process and outcome?
HA: I'm definitely a “wait for the song to come to me” person, it's hard for me to sit down and write something without something striking me. I'm like a pressure cooker when it comes to writing, it builds up and comes rushing out when it's released. The lyrics can hit me while I'm driving, or a strong melody. Sometimes a good song title comes to mind and the rest of the song happens. I feel that it's more organic that way…I don't ever like to force a song. I want it to be real and genuine to the listener. 
 


CV: What do you believe makes songwriting more honest and impactful...something that both the artist and listener can share?
HA: I think writing from a place that's real and from your soul is the best way to write something impactful and able to connect to an audience. Not being afraid to write out feelings you might otherwise be hesitant to share with anyone, oftentimes so many others are having those same feelings and same feeling of not wanting others to know about it, let them know they're not alone. Don't be afraid to sing about your weaknesses…that's what people connect to, the real stuff. Put it all out there and be fearless when writing. 
 

CV: With venues closed, artists and bands ordered to stay put and live shows and tours canceled world-wide due to COVID-19, do you feel the music industry as a whole will rebound? Does it have what it takes to rebuild itself and will that rebuilding process rely heavily on the fans championing its comeback?
HA: It will definitely bounce back. Right now there are many doors closing but there are also doors opening. I think it's going to take the music scene the longest to recover; the unfortunate thing is all shows are attended with expendable income and aside from all the venue closings many will pass on shows, especially the smaller club shows. It's going to hurt for a while but to all the artists out there who are struggling, just remember the ones who hang in there until they get to the other side, will be the ones who see the biggest rewards. I do think the fans will play a big role in revitalizing the club scene…we all love our music.




CV: What do you feel has been the greatest contribution to your success as an artist?
HA: I really feel that my greatest contribution to my success is never giving up. Never giving up when I was dead broke, never giving up when some family members resented me, never giving up when door after door was slammed in my face, never giving up when it felt like it wasn't going anywhere…never giving up. I owe everything to my love of music, for better or worse, I can't ever let it go. It's who I am and it's who I will be when I pass.
 

CV: What's next for you? What can fans expect to see coming up?
HA: The next thing for me is to try to make enough money to stay afloat and keep my eye on next year's tour schedule.  I'm also about to start recording my next album…I can't wait to get the new music out there to everyone. 
 

CV: Thank you again Hector for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
HA: Thank you so much for having me…stay safe and well and see you on the other side of all of this.


Check out Hector Anchondo at:
Official: www.HectorAnchondo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thehectoranchondo
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hectoranchondo
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/anchondotv






Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.








March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                           



The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice






Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.


Comments