Interview with Dean Mason of Bleeding Raven (Canada)


By Mick Michaels


The Cosmick View: Hello, Dean and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us!
Dean Mason: My pleasure mate. Hope you’re well.

CV: Describe your definition of Bleeding Raven’s sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe the music?

DM: BLEEDING RAVEN is more or less an aggrotech pursuit, though I refer to it often as ‘dungeon trash’. Hahahahaha It’s heavy, dark, abrasive and will give you a nervous breakdown. In fact when you buy my music, you have to sign a disclaimer saying you won’t sue me if you go insane after listening to the music. Hahahahahha. Ok, that last part isn’t true. If you go nuts…you’re in good company. Hahahahaha. Some of my more recent releases however have been sort of like “Black Metal Ambient”
https://bleedingraven.bandcamp.com/album/final-rite and my very last release is actually…well I don’t know. It’s even got a slight hip hop feel to it. https://bleedingraven.bandcamp.com/album/verrtrandt-suture-mix-ep

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?

DM: Not sure how to answer that. I’m assuming that you’re referring to a “connection”…meaning the dynamics at gigs? I’m not a live act so that connection isn’t there. As for connecting in other ways, which even the big names have to do today during this pandemic, I have some connection but I tend to scare the shit out of people, so there’s that. Hahahahaha

No but, social media is a necessary evil. Emphasis on ‘evil’. It’s needed to get your stuff out there, which is a sort of connection obviously, but also it can be very toxic. I have to say that for me, I put stuff out as…hopefully, an artistic expression of ideas and inner struggles etc. I’m not looking to be ‘adored’ and ‘glorified’ and I have to say, so many bands/singers are in it because they need to satisfy some sort of narcissistic fantasy and need the adulation and applause and the “oooh…you’re my hero” bullshit. I’m not interested in that. That’s not ‘art’. That’s needing to get your groin licked by sycophants. But hey, I guess that’s the industry in many ways right…hero worship? 


CV: Is fan interaction an important part of the band’s inner culture?
DM: Well, this is sort of related to the above question. I will add though that, what I have enjoyed is meeting people who also believe in the concept of art and also have more intelligent interchanges as opposed to “oh…what color socks are you wearing today”? I mean, look, nothing wrong with that whole stuff. I’m being a bit of a bitch here, but I’m just not impressed with anything that seems shallow.

Oh, by the way, speaking of socks…WTF is up with males wearing them wild “Pippie Longstockings” socks these days or with sports logos or Batman, etc? I would have gotten beat up in school for wearing those kind of socks in my day. And don’t get me started on the panties. Hahahahaha…that’s our secret ok…hahahahaha!


CV: Can a band truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
DM: Yeah, so carrying on with this theme. I don’t have a ton of fans. So there’s that. I’m not big. But that said, there’s always a danger for unhealthy attachments to develop or obsessions and fantasy. Most of it is harmless. But some people get obsessed and think they need to know everything about an artist or a celebrity or what have you. And that’s the culture we live in. Actually, there’s a whole industry that exists because “sycophantism” exists and many of the bigger names get their knickers in a twist when people “want more” and yet they would implode without the attention. I don’t think I will ever have that problem. I just don’t do that kind of music. It’s very underground.


CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?

DM: Yes. It is a fact that in various cultures, music is viewed differently. In more oppressive regimes, you can’t be free to just say what you think without suffering repercussions. In many cultures, the music is more or less about “love and hanky panky.” I mean, even in our Western world…the US…UK…Canada…Western Europe…most of the musical offerings are about “romance”…at least when it comes to “Pop.” Heavy Metal and Hip Hop deal with broader subjects in general but even there…it’s often about romance or a “poke in the weeds.” It’s interesting to see what’s coming out of Korea lately. Not my thing but good for them…nothing against it at all. In Russia, it can be dangerous to get too political and the same is true in many countries in the Middle East. I have to admit that personally, I always look towards the UK and Germany and even Belgium and Finland and Norway to see what they’re coming out with. Some of the most “bold” music has come from these areas. In the US and Canada, there are good alternative bands but what gets you to the “top” is more or less being a “Pop” band and I include some styles of “Hip Hop” in that because what used to be a very aggressive type of music…speaking truth to power even, has become something else these days.

Anyway… I have to add here though that young people don’t appreciate music the way their parents did. I mean, they like music obviously, but they don’t view it as art. I even dare say they don’t “respect” the notion of art…not out of malice, but this is where we are. Music today is only discovered it seems if it’s in video games or the big companies like Sony and Virgin and WB put their big bucks behind an act and if they do fork out gazillions to promote an act… then you can be certain that these people are not just promoting music…in fact sometimes it’s like an afterthought…they’re promoting a product…an image…something to be adored or lusted over.


CV: Do you feel that a band that has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?
DM: In the US? I don’t know. But being Canadian, I assume that the market is more or less the same. I think the short answer to that is, no. I mean these Korean boys (BTS) have been doing well, but in general, “international” awareness doesn’t seem to be our “thang.” Things like the “British Invasion” doesn’t really count. I mean, I think in Canada and probably more so in the US, we don’t like to wander far away from our “comfort zone” and most people tend to go for the “same old, same old” or anything that sounds similar to the “same old, same old”. We don’t really like “noveau”. That fact makes it difficult for artists who are more “avant garde” and don’t buy into the status quo to get any real attention. And that’s ok. It’s where people are at. Look, most people just want “burgers and taters” and don’t like to venture far away from the farm. Again, that’s why I like to look at what comes out of Germany and the UK and Belgium, etc. because there is more of a possibility that less conventional music will come out of these countries. There are more artists willing to take risks. Here in Canada and the US, like I said…“burgers and taters”. You know, when KISS first came on the scene it was like… WOW! I mean, you can’t take that away from them. They broke new ground and so much of what we call “Metal” today, even image, is somehow borrowed from KISS. That said, today KISS is really a “Pop” band. Artists that continue to be “daring” in my opinion are people like David Sylvian and Billy Corgan and Beck. To some extent the same can be said about Marilyn Manson. I mean, many will disagree but he even allowed himself to venture out of his “own box” and look at different ways of pursing art. I view these people as artists in the real sense. Another artist who also fits that category in my opinion is Gary Numan. That man is the epitome of “taking risks” and pursuing different modes of artistic expression. Actually, Rob Halford in some ways has also tried to venture into different territory and even if he doesn’t like those “ventures”…he did it. And…feck…I’m rambling.

CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
DM: That’s actually a very good question and very important. Yeah, I think technology has made it such that a person can record music, and even do videos and promo and even package merchandise in a way that wasn’t possible years ago. So, this is both a blessing but also a curse. Everyone and their pet weasel can put stuff out today because of the technology that is available…even videos… and play “rock star”. What happens then is that it becomes too common. It’s like, as I have often said, I feel like a “snowflake in a blizzard”. I’m one of these people, even though I have a few releases on Cleopatra Records. I often joke around that I’m just a dark gothic hippie sitting around the virtual reality camp fire doing the ‘kumb bye ya’ thing.

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
DM: Damn you’re good! I LOVE your questions mate. Yeah so, first of all, I’d add to that question, “what’s the difference between being an “artist” and being a “rock star wannabe”. It’s difficult, however, today to “set trends” because it’s all been done. I mean, seriously. Unless you’re pretty as hell like a Barbie or Ken doll…and that’s what they’re actually selling, or you create a sort of attention whore controversy…it’s very difficult to get any sort of reaction. People don’t go looking for “new”. That said, a true “artist” in my mind is someone who just pursues an authentic expression of ideas and goes with it not tailoring what they do with the idea that they need to make it big.

No. Be true to yourself. And the future groundbreakers will be the ones who were authentic…true to themselves and not venturing into a sort of music industry prostitution. 


CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
DM: I hate that we have to label ourselves. Yes, there are a LOT of sub genres and I honestly couldn’t even name them all, even within the Metal world. And, yes, your point in the question about “appeasement” is not far off. I remember when Type O Negative put out a new album one year, and some of the fans were like, “no…no…no…that’s not Type O…” I’m like “What the feck is wrong with people?! It IS Type O and THAT’S what they put out now and BRAVO…times a gazillion to Peter Steele and the guys for doing what THEY want!”

True artists don’t just try and redo a previous album. True artists go with what comes from within…honestly. Period. And yeah, people divide and hate others over stuff like this. But that’s human nature isn’t it? We think we have evolved but I have my doubts. People are tribal…very tribal. And that’s why some day we will obliterate each other. Ooops…ranting again…


CV: What can fans except to see coming next from you?

DM: Well I would like to promote this new track but also I will just keep promoting what I have as it’s pretty much it for me because of my extreme hearing loss. There is also a new “Gnostic Gorilla” release…my other project, which will be released by Cleopatra Records in the Fall I think.   https://bleedingraven.bandcamp.com/album/verrtrandt-suture-mix-ep


CV: Thanks again Dean for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.
DM: Actually, thank you mate. Your questions were amazing…really enjoyed this. Cheers!

Check out Bleeding Raven at:
Bandcamp: https://bleedingraven.bandcamp.com/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xw0-rEOoeM
DizzyJam: https://www.dizzyjam.com/products/167862/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bleedingravenofficial/
Official: http://www.bleedingraven.com/





Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   




My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.



March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                         



The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice






Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.






















Comments