Interview with the Band Fatal Switch



By Mick Michaels



The Cosmick View: Hello, and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us!

CV: Describe your definition of the band’s sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe the music?
Fatal Switch: We are a Rap Metal Rock band that has heavy groovy based songs mixed with thought-provoking hip-hop storytelling. The mix of styles is quite unique in the respect that we have kept the traditional structures of metal and rock songs to which I inject some in depth rap lyrics. Each song plays out as a story in this cinematic, one of a kind hybrid style.

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?
FS: Well first and foremost what you create, no matter what line of business you are in should be the thing that connects you to your supporters. In our case we are privileged to connect with our audiences on a deep level because music is not only emotional but, in our case, very concept driven. With stories that range from domestic abuse, child soldiers, war, robots, demons and more we give our fans some tangible ideas to connect with. Apart from that, connecting with them at live shows has also been an amazing experience. Getting to meet someone in real life is so much more rewarding than virtually.

CV: Is fan interaction an important part of the band’s inner culture?
FS: Sure, when it comes to social media. Letting your fans know where you are at and what you are doing is always important. Can we be better at it? Yeah…definitely. But we try and put out content that the majority of them will engage with so it does make us think twice sometimes before initiating the engagement.  

CV: Can a band truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
FS: I think it is up to each individual to create the space they desire. I have interacted with many fans who took the time to message me and tell me how much they love my music and it’s always brings a smile to my face. Can I interact with them for hours on end, no. But if ever I have free time I will always reply to DM’s or messages sent my way.

CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?
FS: Music is tribal. It is something that exists and has existed for as far back as history goes. How it is viewed whether or not we want to admit it is uniform in its mental and spiritual impact it has on us all. It is simply a tool that all cultures use to communicate or convey a message. What that message is, however, can vary greatly between cultures and therein would lie the biggest different between certain cultures.

CV: Do you feel that a band that has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?
FS: I think that it would be a shame to value someone’s music or for a musician to value its fans simply due to their geographical location. I make music to reach people, to enlighten and share my artistry whether its in Brazil, Mexico, Canada, US or UK…I value and cherish the connections I make with people all around the world. I typically don’t even look up where my favorites artists come from, I’m more focused on whether or not the music speaks to me. Whether local or foreign, I would hope that all bands have an equal chance to make an impression.   

CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
FS: Being an artist and making music are two very different things. A lot of people know how to throw a song together but not many know how to be an artist. It hasn’t blurred the lines for me to know what an artist is but it has saturated the industry with so much noise that it’s hard to see the true stars waiting to be born.

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
FS: Well the one who follows the trends will never get very far. If you are not trying to create outside of the box and be different then you will just be another number. Setting trends is an artist’s only hope in hell of getting noticed and even that has no guarantees.

CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
FS: A bit…way too many metal genres in my opinion. The thing with subgenres is that everyone wants to be on a team, to pick a side and say that this is what they like and what they like is better than what you like. I am not a fan of the appeasements and I find it to be a silly way of viewing things. It’s one of them main reasons why I no longer watch…I should say follow, any sports. I think genres should seriously be simplified and then taken with a grain of salt because there is no right or wrong genre for good music.

CV: What can fans except to see coming next from you?
FS: We’ve just launched our debut album “Doctors & Demons” so we will be finding ways to get this in as many ears as possible. We’ve got some cool music videos up airing on TV and on YouTube. We plan to have so more cool chats like this one. More videos and social media engagement is all we can do to replace live touring for now. We are also working on our next studio album that we plan to record in early 2021…so that will be something to look out for as well in the near-ish future.

CV: Thanks again for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.
FS: Likewise! Thank you very much for taking the time to get to know a bit about us. And thanks to your readers as well!

Check out Fatal Switch at:

Official: https://fatalswitch.fanlink.to/doctors-and-demons




Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   


My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice





March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.








Comments