Interview with Singer/Songwriter Jessica Vines




By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Jessica! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: Every artist experiences highs and lows. Many struggle just to move from one level to the next, and some, unfortunately, never do. What would you consider to be a pivotal point in an artist's career which would take them from one level to the next that a struggling artist should be aware of? Is it an individual mindset or does it equate more to opportunity?  Or is it something all together different in your opinion?
Jessica Vines: I think I'm still figuring out how to navigate "leveling up" myself, but I am also a firm believer that everyone gets a shot or two in their lives. It is up to the artist to be seeking out those "shots" and to be ready when they do come. You hear a lot that success is about being in the right spot at the right time, but I think you also have to constantly prepare so when it happens, you're ready to confidently take it on. 

CV: What do you feel an artist can do right now to stay relevant, especially in an environment, such as the present, where performing in front of a live audience is not an option?
JV: I think this time where live performance opportunities can't happen is where you will really see which artists are dedicated to the music itself. A lot of my music friends are playing just as much as before, but they are taking it to the practice room and really refining their art, so when live performances start up again, they will be ready. Again, it's all about being ready for whatever could happen. I've had a lot of friends start doing live streams or just more interactive, virtual performances, which have helped their fan base feel more connected to them than ever before.

CV: What have you found to be the balancing point between relevance and over saturation when it comes to being an artist? Is there a fine line between the two or can it be looked at to some degree as the two essentially being one in the same?
JV: I'm still trying to figure out that balance! It's tough because you want people to remember that you're here, but you also don't want to annoy them with mediocre content. I've tried to focus my musical energies on more collaborative works while I'm stuck at home because that is something I normally wouldn't have time for and it is refreshing for my listeners. I guess only time will tell if I did a good job at balancing that, but everything I put out during this time is something that I couldn't do with a normal gig schedule…so I hope fans enjoy that aspect of it.

CV: Is there any level of consideration, or even concern, to deliver on expectations, whether it being your own or that of the fans, when working on new material?
JV: Yeah, I put a lot of pressure on myself to deliver music that feels cohesive with what I've already put out…but still shows growth. With that, I can sometimes feel trapped to styles I've already written in and it becomes overwhelming to write something that is similar, but not the same. That's a big reason I've so enjoyed my collaborative projects this year. With those, there is no pressure to "stay true" to myself, because it's something completely different and new.

CV: Do you find music, particularly your own music, as a means of relaxation? Does it have a calming effect on you?  If not, where  are you able to find peace when you need it?
JV: That depends! If I'm feeling super inspired and creative, writing can be really therapeutic for me. I try to write a little bit every day, so if I'm forcing myself to write, I can feel really frustrated and discouraged. The most peace I find is after the show or practice/recording session, when the band and I get to decompress and just hang out together. There are few better feelings than getting done with a great show and sitting down for the night!

CV: For you, is songwriting a matter of lyrics first or melody first? Or is it more organic than that where the moment dictates the process and outcome?
JV: I typically start with melody first and with that comes a lyrical idea. I try to stay true to whatever comes out organically because it is obviously something that is on my mind in that moment and that makes the rest of the song feel more personal.

CV: What do you believe makes songwriting more honest and impactful...something that both the artist and listener can share?
JV: As a listener, I'm a big fan of songs that feel like they are literally about your life and I have found that a lot of those songs for me are lyrically very vague. I realized early on that no matter what the song means to the songwriter, listeners will put their own meaning to it, which is great…but I aim to provide material that is easily relatable, so it can become personal for everyone in their own way. It also provides the option for me to change the meaning to my own songs for myself as I grow and experience new things. That keeps the songs feeling fresh and personal when I perform them years later.



CV: With venues closed, artists and bands ordered to stay put and live shows and tours canceled world-wide due to COVID-19, do you feel the music industry as a whole will rebound? Does it have what it takes to rebuild itself and will that rebuilding process rely heavily on the fans championing its comeback?
JV: That is a great question and I'm really not sure! I have no idea what music will look like after this year, but I'm very hopeful that once live music is an option again, people will be excited and supportive. During this time, we have seen people spending more time consuming the arts and I can only hope that will continue in person, once we can do it safely. 

CV: What do you feel has been the greatest contribution to your success as an artist?
JV: I wouldn't have accomplished anything I have done if I didn't surround myself with stellar people who truly believe in my music and me. My bandmates…Conor Lee, Evan Geiger, Alex Van Eeckhout, and Jack Anderson, are all incredible humans who support my vision and help me be the best musician/leader I can be and my family and friends are always there to cheer me on when life gets tough.

CV: What's next for you? What can fans expect to see coming up?
JV: Right now, I am trying to promote the EP I just released with Joey called Stay Home Summer Lovers! We released it at the end of July and it’s a project that is very different from my normal sound, but was so fun to be a part of. Outside of that, I am writing for my own band and we are looking forward to starting our next project when we can get in the studio!

CV: Thank you again Jessica for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
JV: Thank you so much for having me for this interview!

Check out Jessica Vines at:
Official: www.JessicaVinesMusic.com
Facebook: 
https://www.facebook.com/jessicavinesmusic/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jessicavinesmusic/?hl=en
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfxGxWdHvp8VC069lqHaAXw






Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   




My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.








March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                       



The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice






Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.



Comments