Interview with Legendary Guitarist Steve Hackett (former Genesis member)



By Mick Michaels



COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Steve! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
Steve Hackett: Good to talk to you too!

CV: For you personally, has guitar become, in some regards, your main means to truly communicate and express yourself to others, moreso than words alone?
SH: I feel that both guitar and words are equally important, which is why I was keen to write my autobiography, which has just come out! But for sure, guitar is a powerful way for me to express emotions and a wide range of atmospheres. I always enjoy pushing the musical envelope and discovering new sounds. The guitar is for sure a vital voice for me.

CV: Steve, would you consider music to be more of a universal language, even a better form of communication, for most individuals to embrace and find equal ground?
SH: Again, I believe that communication comes in many equally important forms. But music is a particularly potent language, crossing cultural and language boundaries and reaching people with direct emotion and expression.

CV: Music has been said to possess an abundance of healing abilities for many who make a connection..."soothing the savage beast" so to say.  With the world's current state, can music find a way to heal what is troubling it in your opinion? Does music have that level of power?
SH: Yes, I once recorded an album, Metamorpheus, about the legendary figure of Orpheus, whose lyre tamed the most savage of beasts and brought all animals together with its beauty. I believe that music can join different factions of people together, uniting them with joy. I also think it can have the power to put across the message that we are all brothers and sisters across the world, because of the way it can touch the emotions.

CV: Hypothetically speaking and just for fun, if you were given a list to complete, naming 20 of the all time top guitarist from the last 50 years, would Steve Hackett be on that list and if so, where would he come in at?
SH: I can’t answer that myself. That’s for others to decide, according to their taste
.

CV: "Deja Vu" is the new single. What's a time you experienced deja vu where you were absolutely sure you had been there, done that before?
SH: We all have those feelings at times, but the song is more about the recognition of the repeated patterns we go through in life. When I’ve been in that place of depression more than once, I’ve then asked myself, why am I back here and what is wrong with my life? In these days I no longer have that problem. I’m very happily married, my career is doing fine and I have a great network of friends around the world.

CV: Steve, what kind of thoughts and memories does releasing this double CD and DVD set conjure up for you? Has that itself been a déjà vu moment for you?
SH: For sure, both “Selling England By The Pound” and “Spectral Mornings” hold many memories for me, and they’re both favorite albums. When I play music on stage from those albums today, memories are re-awakened, but in a new way, because with the current band, we have our own take on the songs, whilst staying true to the original spirit.

CV: The analog recording method, had proven itself in years past by delivering countless classic albums and recordings. But as a current industry standard, digital has all but erased analog down to the very last detail, becoming the choice of a new generation of rockers. What was it like for you making the transition? Have you embraced the modern technology and do you feel digital is far more superior to analog?
SH: I was happy working with analog, but digital has enabled many more sounds and subtleties and technologically music has made some huge forwards leaps. I can do a lot more today than before.

CV: Has the COVID-19 pandemic changed the music industry forever in your opinion? Can things ever go back to the way they were...or can this be a blessing in disguise with regards to how the music business will conduct itself in what's now called the "new norm?" Is there a major change coming?
SH: I don’t have a crystal ball, so I can’t say how the music industry is likely to change. None of us know how long this problem will continue. I just hope it will resolve soon with a good vaccine that we can all have, and then we can get back out on the road again without the problem! But speaking for myself, I decided to use this time productively for recording, and I’m working on more music in this way whilst not able to tour. So, this means that I am at least able to explore more musical ideas.


Photo © Sylvie Daigneault

CV: COVID-19 has brought together countless artists and performance collaborations.  Any chance the fans can see a pairing with you and any of your past Genesis band mates?
SH: That is up to the other members of Genesis. I have always said I would be willing to join, but they have not approached me. Also, they might be playing at the same time as shows that I have already planned to do. In the meantime, I enjoy celebrating the classic Genesis music that I was involved with, whilst they tend to prioritize the 1980s version of Genesis. That does mean that fans get to enjoy a wide range of the music, which is good!

CV: What's next? What can fans expect to see coming in the remainder of 2020 and beyond?
SH: So, there’s the live DVD coming out in September. The music I’m recording will come out in 2021, so watch this space for that! Then there will also be a whole host of shows, some already announced on my website. I so much look forward to being back out on the road!

CV: Thank you again Steve for spending some time talking and sharing with
our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
SH: Thank you too! I’ve enjoyed answering your questions. All the very best.

Check out Steve at:
Official: www.hackettsongs.comFacebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Hackett/123101228589
Twitter:  www.twitter.com/HackettOfficial




Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   


My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice








March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.





Comments