Interview with Tantric Bassist Jaron Gulino



By: Mick Michaels


Cosmick View: Hello, Jaron, and welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.


CV: The past 14 months have been such an exciting time for you. Tell us a little of how you came to be the new bass player for Tantric?
Jaron Gulino: Thanks for taking the time to speak with me. It has been a whirlwind over the last year and as half. It all started when I was asked to fill in for an Australian rock band called Dellacoma. After that run, the drummer, Troy Patrick Farrell had asked if I would be interested in helping him with another band that he was playing with, which was Tantric. I immediately jumped on the opportunity and have been loving it ever since.

CV: Was it an easy decision for you? Were there any considerations you needed to take into account before taking the position?
JG: The decision was easy, but tedious. I had to leave my entire lifestyle behind to jump on board the touring machine. I left a well paying desk job and had to pretty much say goodbye to family and friends that I was accustomed to seeing so often. There is a lot of baggage and a high price that comes along with living on the road but it has been worth the ride for sure.

CV: The new album “Mercury Retrograde” just rocks. There is so much energy and excitement. What type of role did your joining play with the album's explosive final outcome?
JG: The majority of the material was already written prior to my involvement in the band. However, I had a role in choosing which songs to record as well as free reign on my playing and contributions. I think it is a very powerful release and I can’t wait to get back into the studio for the next one.

CV: You were already a seasoned road warrior prior to suiting up Tantric. Any special pre show rituals you would like to share with us?
JG: I’ve been touring for many years, and as much as I have tried to keep a consistent regiment, I never really can, haha. I would say the only thing I really do is try and stretch and chug a Mountain Dew about 30 minutes before showtime.

CV: Sebastian Labar's union with Tantric on guitar quickly followed your own. Were you instrumental in recruiting your Mach22 comrade for the position?
JG: Yes. Sebastian was the most logical choice. We both have had strong desires to tour for a living for a long time. We went through a couple of guitarist last year and when the spot because available again, I figured we should get someone that was hungry for the job. I don’t think we could have found a better fit. He is doing a phenomenal job.

CV: Does joining an already established band such as Tantric give you any opportunity to contribute lyrically/musically to the songwriting process?
JG: Yes. We have already been collaborating on new material. It is nice to work with guys that have a different musical background. Combining our tastes and styles has been a real treat.

CV: Has success made you appreciate certain things more than before?
JG: Time and friendship. As much as the “success” has been great, it is also very costly. It makes it harder to maintain relationships and harder to spend time with friends and loved ones. It demands you to work more and work harder. I have always been a fan of keeping busy and getting things done, so I am all for the workload.

CV: You once said to me that you prefer playing in small venues and making that connection with the fans; an up close and personal experience. Has that feeling changed?
JG: No, I still feel that way. The energy in the smaller rooms is something you can’t get on larger stages. It is more about the band’s connection and the magic that comes from it. Arena shows and larger venues provide the audience’s energy, which is a surreal, but completely different, feeling. I love to feel the connection with my bandmates and then personally hang with the fans after the show to share the excitement of being out and about and having a good time. We are blessed to be able to do this every day, and even more so to have fans that continue to support us.

CV: What have you found to be the biggest difference between your days in the local clubs to touring the country with a national act?
JG: It is more fun now. I used to think that it was about having something to prove, which is a matter of perspective I suppose. Now, I believe that it is only about having a good time and being there for the right reason. That reason being; to have fun. If you are having a good time and loving what you are doing, it will translate and people will be receptive.

CV: Any plans for your band, On Top, to release some new material in the coming year?

JG: I have quite a bit of material prepared. I would love to do another release. That band is my baby and something very special. I wish it could be more active but the time just isn’t available at the moment.

CV: How do you feel young artists can keep their dreams alive in the face of adversity? What would you tell them?
JG: I would tell them to say “yes”. Accept new opportunities and stay consistent. I heard George Lynch once say “Do something long enough to allow it to be successful”. I learned a lot from that quote. Keep doing what you love and find ways to continue to do so. Make moves and figure out the rest later. It is easy to say no, but you won’t ever get anywhere without trying.

CV: What's the one album you own that’s your “go to” choice?
JG: Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation

CV: What do you see as the biggest thing that keeps artists from not fulfilling their dreams?
JG: Hesitation and distraction. People are often afraid of “how” or “why” they should or shouldn’t do something. As I mentioned before, say “yes” now and figure out how you are gonna make it happen later. Put yourself out there and work harder than the others. I see most people are afraid of what others think, or aren’t willing to leave their normal everyday lives/relationships to pursue their dreams. The only thing holding you back is yourself… so get after it!

CV: What drives you to be the best artist you can be?
JG: I most look forward to plugging in and playing. In order to afford to be able to do that on a daily basis, and as a profession, you have to be the best you possibly can. You have to be disciplined and have to be willing to put the work in. I appreciate every single day that I get to wake up and do anything I desire. I get to wake up and meet new friends, in a new city, and see things that most people don’t get to see. It really is a dream come true, and that is the biggest inspiration of all.


CV: What’s next for you?

JG: Tantric will be on tour in support of “Mercury Retrograde” for the majority of the year. We will be performing on the Mudd Fest tour which includes our friends in Puddle of Mudd, Saliva, Trapt, and Saving Abel. Hopefully I will be able to find some time to get a couple of records done with some friends as well. Stay tuned…

CV: Thank you again, Jaron, for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success!
JG: Thanks for having me. It was a pleasure being able to chat. See you soon!

Check out Jaron and Tantric at:
Official: https://tantricofficial.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tantric/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jarongulino?lang=en



Join us at The Cosmick View Facebook page at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.


What to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for advertising rates.


Comments