Interview with Former Steelheart Bassist Rev Jones





By Mick Michaels



COSMICK VIEW: Hello Rev! Welcome to The Cosmick View.
Thank you for taking some tine out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: What drives you to continue to create?
Rev Jones: It's in my DNA.

CV: Was music your first love?
RV: Well I was in love with music way before I started playing. I was a music fan from early childhood. My parents were both young so they had this great record collection which I pretty much listened to every day. There was everything from Buddy Holly, to the Who, to King Crimson, to Pink Floyd, to Kenny Rodgers, to Bee Gees, to Yes, to Led Zepplin. In our house we were not prejudice against any music. I also started going to concerts with family members when I was really young, and continued to attend concerts well into my teens. Me & my buddies would go to every concert, even if it was Dan Fogelberg we would go. So yes music was my first love.

CV:
Would you say music has made you the person you are today?
RV: Absolutely it has. I have been playing music for almost 3/4 of my life. To quote Nietzsche: "without music, life would be a mistake."

CV:
Could you see yourself doing something completely different other than music? If so, what would that be?
RV: Not really. Maybe acting… Definitely some form of entertaining.

CV:
Which artist has inspired you the most?
RV: Glenn Hughes.

CV:
Non artist…who has been your biggest influence?
RV: Seth McFarlane.

CV:
Was/Is your family supportive with your musical pursuits?
RV: YES!!! My first band actually used to practice in my bedroom when I was like 16. We would stand my bed up against the wall and my dad would be in the other room watching TV (he would just turn it up). They were and still are very supportive of my music. My dad plays guitar and sings, and he was in a band for a short time in his teens in the 60's, and he knew a lot about rock music. When I decided that music was gonna be my life and I told him that, he gave me the best advice that anyone could ever give, he said "look forward to a life of poverty". Because of him telling me that, I realized that I had to really work hard for everything, and I realized that fame & fortune in the music business is very, very, very rare. Well I have been making a living in the music business for over 20 years now, and I thank my dad for that advice. When I teach or just talk to young musicians, I always give my version of that same advice, hopefully one day one of those musicians will think back and realize my advice helped them.

CV:
What do you find inspires your music the most as a songwriter?
RV: Music inspires me. Every time I pick up a guitar or bass, I immediately come up with a new riff. I usually record it on my phone and put it in a folder with hundreds of other ideas. Eventually I'll set down and piece them together. Often times when I come up with a killer riff, I'll immediately recall some riff that I came up with several months prior that would go with my new riff, and next thing you know I have a new song.

CV: What's your go to album for motivation? Why that album?
RV: Queen "Night at the Opera". When I was young I used to listen to that album (on vinyl) over & over & over with headphones on. There are so many cool things happening in the background on every single song. But the best thing about the album is the songs, every type of music is offered. You can't beat that.

CV:
Some of your favorite artists... past and present, who are they?
RV: Buddy Holly, Stevie Wonder, Jim Croce, Tom Jones, Tony Levin, Rammstein, Lady Gaga, Sly Stone, Van Halen, Queen, Judas Priest, Pantera, King Crimson, Ronnie Dio, Prince, Glenn Hughes, Slayer, ZZ Top, Eagles, Who, Yes, Deep Purple, and Beatles.

CV:
The one album you feel every Metalhead should own and why?
RV: there are 3 albums I think every Metalhead should own.
1. Judas Priest "British Steel" - sets Heavy Metal standards
2. Metallica "Master of Puppets" - sets Thrash Metal standards
3. Pantera "Vulgar Display of Power" - sets All Metal standards
CV: What do you consider is a defining moment in Heavy Metal history and why is it significant… how did it impact the genre?
RV: The day that Spinal Tap "Smell the Glove" came out.

CV: Who would you like to work with if given the opportunity?
RV: I've been very fortunate that I have worked with so many of the people I grew up admiring. But if I had to pick someone to work with it would be Stevie Wonder & Jeff Beck.

CV: What do you feel are the top three things it takes to make it in the music business as an artist?
RV: Persistence, Dedication, and Luck.

CV:
There has been a lot of remarks among established rockers these days regarding young, up and coming bands, that they don't stand a chance at making a career with music into today's industry... what do you think?
RV: I somewhat agree. Today’s music industry has not much to offer, and neither does today’s Bands.

CV:
As an artist, what do you feel are your strengths?
RV: Well my bass playing of course, and my knowledge of music, it keeps me from being one dimensional.

CV: What do you think separates bands of today from bands of the past?
RV: Lack of creativity. Most bands today sound exactly like some band from the past. There aren't very many new bands that are original and creative.
CV:
This year Stevie Nicks is being inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. But with so many iconic women eligible for induction, such as Cher and Carly Simon, among many others, why do you think they are being overlooked?
RV: Leather Tuscadero…. Suzi Quatro.

CV:
We hear so much negative commentary regarding today's overall music industry. What's your take on it? Is Rock really dead?
RV: It’s not dead, it’s just lost. The biggest problem bands have today is that there are too many avenues for music so it’s almost impossible to properly promote your band to everyone that should hear it. Unless you have an account with all of the different Music Services, (which takes way too much time), chances are you are gonna miss out on a whole bunch of people that would be fans of your music just because there is too many music options and who knows where and to reach the right people anymore. Plus the internet is over saturated with real bad music and or music that has been put together on a computer and the supposed band that released it could never pull it off without backing tracks, modern day Milli Vanilli. Remember if you tune your vocals, program your drums, or use a computer to play your guitar parts - You Are Not A Real Musician… just a wanna be impostor! If people would stop following every stupid trend and start making their own decisions again, there wouldn't be these kinds of problems. But I don't see that happening ever again.


CV:
What’s next for you?
RV: I have a new album called "Bakwash" that was just released in November 2018. It is my first solo album. It features myself (Rev Jones) on Vocals & Bass, Jim Dofka (Dofka, Leather Leone) on guitar, and Jeff Martin (Badlands, MSG, Racer X) on drums. This album is full of heavy rock songs with catchy riffs, intense vocals, pounding drums, and lots of Insane over the top bass & guitar soloing. I'm very pleased with it, and I think everyone that is into music from Rock to Metal should give it a listen, there's a something for pretty much everyone on this album.

There is also a new Steelheart live DVD that just came out that features myself on Bass. It is called "Steelheart - Rock'n Milan" on Frontier Records. It was filmed in Italy in 2017 shortly before I left the band.

CV: Thank you again Rev for spending some time talking and sharing with
our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success with all your future projects.


Check out Rev Jones at:
Official:
http://www.revjones.com  

Available on CD (USA and CAN): http://revjones.bigcartel.com/


Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView


My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.

What to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for advertising rates.

Comments