Interview with Singer/Songwriter Suzi Kory


Photo by Igor Vidyashev



By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Suzi! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: By your own admission, much of your music is autobiographical. Let's start by talking about the new single and video "Pretty Little Things." How much of that is the real you?
Suzi Kory: The song is essentially my life story. I grew up in a strict Middle Eastern household where music, as a career was not an option. Although I always knew that writing and performing was what I wanted to do, I ended up on a completely different path. It was only a couple of years ago that I was honest with myself and came to the realization that my passion for music had never left me. In life, we are influenced by many things...family, friends, society etc. We end up becoming a reflection of those things rather than ourselves. I had to go deep inside myself and rediscover the person that I am at my very core. Since then, I have been able to place myself back on my intended path and as a result have had some pretty incredible experiences. Although I first wrote this as my personal story, I came to realize that it’s a universal one. Everyone has a dream, but often it gets lost or put aside as we grow older. I wanted to put the message out there that it doesn’t matter what you haven’t done, but that you always have the chance to rewrite your story starting right now.

CV: Being a big KISS fan myself, I really dig that you are wearing a KISS shirt in the video. How did that clothing choice come about and are you a KISS fan at heart?
SK: Who isn’t a KISS fan??? Haaaaa....I am truly a rocker at heart and I wanted to represent that in the video somehow. As for choosing the KISS shirt, well there is a line in the song that says “Shout it out loud” so I thought it would be a fantastic ode to KISS.

CV: KISS t-shirt aside, Rock is without a doubt in your roots. But your upcoming new album, "The Secret Garden," is slated to be more of a Country sound. Yet the album's title track says something else... it has a much darker, alluring vibe to it that goes beyond what I would consider just a Country sound. Is there more there for fans to discover...intended as the song's title might suggest?
SK: As an artist, you have to be willing to go where the music takes you. Luckily, my producer Brent Woods has encouraged me to do just that. I originally set out to write a rock album, but the music organically took on a country sound and Brent and I went with that because it felt right. Each song is taking on its own unique character, which will undoubtedly result in an interesting sound that cannot easily be defined. There will definitely be an element of excitement in that for the listener.

CV: The new single will be in rotation on SiriusXM's CBC Country 171. That’s pretty exciting and opens up the playing field to a mega audience of fans. Does that change the perspective of your future songwriting?
SK: Without a doubt this is very exciting because of the reach it represents in having the song heard by fans across North America. As far as changing the songwriting, I honestly believe that writing is affected by the internal, not the external. When you write from a deeper level, then you can touch people on a deeper level.

CV: Fans have described you as powerful and melodic; having an inspiring, magical voice and stage presence. Do you see yourself that way?
SK: It is certainly humbling to be described in that way. I am a firm believer in giving 100% in anything you do, on or off the stage and that’s what I aim for in my music and performance.

CV: What artists have inspired you?
SK: The person who started it all for me was Axl Rose and Guns N Roses. There was a fire and rawness to the music and his performances that ignited something in me that has remained to this day. Another huge influence is Stevie Nicks. She embodies everything I admire in an artist. She is an incredible songwriter, posses an alluring stage presence and unique voice. She has also always maintained a level of class and sophistication.

Photo by Sergio Garcia

CV: What is it like working with producer Brent Woods? How did you come to connect with him to co-write your new album?
SK: Working with Brent continues to be an incredible experience for so many reasons. Not only is Brent producing the album, but we are co-writing the songs. Although I initially come to him with a song I’d written, it’s a collaboration when it comes to bringing the song to life. He also plays on the tunes and has been able to bring in some other incredible players like Dave Moreno (drummer, Puddle of Mudd) and Gary Morse (pedal steel guitar, Carrie Underwood, Luke Combs, Brook & Dunn etc.). The musicianship and production has really taken the songs to another level.

I was introduced to Brent by photographer and my close friend, Igor Vidyashev. In 2017, I was going with him to LA for a photo shoot at Neil Zlowzower’s studio in Hollywood. Igor was planning to shoot Brent on that trip as well and mentioned that we should connect. Over the next few months we became really good friends and when the time came to record new material; it was a clear choice to work with Brent.

CV: Did Brent's previous work with such charismatic singers as Sebastian Bach and John Waite offer any direction, lend some guidance or have a vital impact on what you wanted to achieve with your music and voice sonically?
SK: Ironically, one of the reasons I wanted to work with Brent was because of his background with these artists, as well as his own band, Wildside. I went in with the intention of writing and recording a rock album, but was surprised to learn that Brent enjoyed many other genres of music. If anything, he has been more influential in helping my find a softer, heartfelt sound.
Photo by Gary Munroe
When he first heard me sing he mentioned a similarity to an artist he had previously worked with, Kristin Chenowith. I found it funny because I’ve always loved musical theater and was definitely influenced by it.

CV: You were born in the Middle East but raised in Canada...definitely two worlds apart. Does such a diverse culture setting provide you with a greater insight with your songwriting?
SK: I’ve definitely had some pretty incredible life experiences and have drawn from all of them when writing songs. Besides having grown up in a Middle Eastern household, I’ve been able to travel the world and see different cultures first hand. I remember a couple years ago, when I first decided to start my musical career I flew to Brazil because I felt there was something I needed to discover musically. Ironically, I would end up working with several Brazilian Musicians in Toronto and would play a festival in Brasilia, Brazil in 2017.

CV: Your musical story has sort of taken on a life of its own by morphing into an inspirational cornerstone for many of your fans. Was this something intentional or more of a natural extension of who you are?
SK: It’s funny how you start off doing something because it’s your own dream that you are trying to manifest, but at some point it no longer becomes about you. I can sense it in the comments I get from fans, that my dream has become their dream. They are now on this ride with me and it inspires them with every success that it is possible to create the type of life you have always wanted.
As a mom raising two children, it has also shown other mothers that it’s possible to take care of your kids while taking care of yourself as well. It is an equally important lesson I am teaching my children in following your passion.

Photo by Sergio Garcia
CV: Often we find indie artists and musicians to be more introverted and sometimes just gloomy. But you tend to be the opposite. Are you generally an upbeat and positive person as your public persona portrays?
SK: It would be pretty difficult to keep the smile plastered on my face all the time like I do, if it wasn’t genuine. I do believe happiness is a choice you make. I keep things in perspective and realize that we need to be thankful for the things we have and not worry about the things we don’t. There is so much going on in the world that seems to be affecting people in a negative way. As an artist, I would like to use any platform I have to bring back simplicity in life and appreciating the beauty we have all around us. I love interacting with fans on social media because it allows me to discover the beauty and uniqueness in people all over the world, in real-time!

CV: What would you tell others who have a story to share but hesitate doing so?
SK: As humans it is essential we share our stories…our successes and our failures. They are all lessons in life and if there is a chance that you can help another human being, then it’s your responsibility to do so. We are all in this life together and no one is given instructions on how to succeed and be happy. It is our own experiences and lessons learned that create the book of life we need to navigate it.

CV: How do you measure success for yourself? Is it a system of checks and balances or more how you are feeling at the moment sort of thing?
SK: Success for me is measured by the positive effect I am able to have on others and the value I can bring into their lives. My particular tool happens to be music and anytime someone shares with me how a song or performance brightened their outlook on life, then I have succeeded.

CV: With the new album just a couple of months away from release, any chance will we see some US dates scheduled?
SK: There is a possibility of a couple showcases in Nashville and Los Angeles for the time being, unless of course Carrie Underwood invites me out on tour!

Photo by Igor Vidyashev

CV: What can fans expect next from Suzi Kory?
SK: Expect the unexpected! Everyone has different sides to their personalities and one of the most exciting things is to discover and use all of them when creating your art. I am a huge fan of musical theatre, so perhaps one day you’ll even find me on Broadway!

CV: Thank you again Suzi for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.

Check out Suzi at:
Official: www.suzikory.com

What to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for advertising rates.

Comments