Interview with Racer X, Blasted to Static Vocalist and Former Badlands Drummer Jeff Martin



by Mick Michaels

COSMICK VIEW: Hello Jeff! Welcome to the Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: What drives you to continue to create?
Jeff Martin: All through my youth and schooling the only thing I was ever good at was art and writing... that side of my brain the creative side has ALWAYS been the more dominant. Coming up with direction and writing a song is like a drug that puts me in a vacuum of relaxation and excitement it can be like virtual speed ball of calm and exhilaration.

CV: Was music your first love? 
JM: I'm pretty sure it was either Milk or my Mother that was my first love but as far as I can remember anything on two wheels I have ALWAYS loved, which of course started at bicycles and move to motorcycles. But music is definitely a close second starting with even before the Beatles and my brothers and sisters musical tastes as a child.


CV: Would you say music has made you the person you are today? 
JM: I would have to say that music has definitely stamped who I am but of course not all of who I am. If my career as a musician had moved in a more positive direction I would have been more of who I wanted to be. As it has turned out I have had to do a lot of things to survive and keep a roof over my head that have had nothing to do with music. Along with all the positive things, the many bands and great musician I have had the pride and pleasure of working with and albums I have done, the negative side of the music Biz has also made a dark a callous side of me. I have had some of the best friend made in the biz but it seems those friends fade as deals not made copy's not sold or the down side of try to launch a band and or an album to be successful. Of course some of these Bands like Racer X and Bandlands have become legend and have grown through cult status and not so much at copies sold. Now fans new and old want the stories of how and where why we were at during those days of making those albums.

CV: Could you see yourself doing something completely different other than music? If so, what would that be?
JM: I see it every day... there is no job I can't do mostly with my hands, but at the same time I have been doing songs, written and remakes, for movies and TV. I have been a care taker for multi million property's in Lake Tahoe California. Mostly because my musical career has not kept the promise, it never really made to me, which is a living and a constant paying gig and royalty checks galore. If I had the money to start a shop that builds vintage motorcycles ... that's something I could jump out of bed for. But in all honesty I would have to be near a studio, a drum kit, a mic, pen and paper to be complete ... money or no. I have just been asked to produce a band at the center of my universe prairie sun studios where we did all the racer X albums and I have done many blues albums with Mike Onesko and the blindside blues, Pat Travers, Mato Najee and indigenous, Craig Erickson and a host of others

CV: Which artist has inspired you the most?
JM: I have had so many both Drumming and singing...... Mitch Mitchell from Jimi Hendrix,  Ringo Starr, Ian Pace of Deep Purple, Ginger Baker of Cream, Don Brewer of Grand Funk Railroad, Bobby Caldwell, Captain Beyond and of course John Bonham as far as Drummers. Singers… David Byron of Uriah Heap, Robert Halford of Priest, Ronnie James Dio, Tom Jones, Ian Gillan as far as singers. But the most influential artist for me has been Jimi Hendrix, just pure magic and the ability to shape time art space in music.

CV: Non artist…who has been your biggest influence?
JM: Any one of my brothers and sisters ......Joel, Joyce, Bill, Tom, Judy, Janice and Mom and Dad. When I wonder what to do I think what would they do and I make the right Choice.


CV: Was/Is your family supportive with your musical pursuits?
JM: My Drum set consisted of a splash cymbal nailed to a broom handle and a metal TV tray with penny's and a chain on it covered with a rag at age 9. That was the year my Grandma from Sylvania had passed away. As you can see from the previous question I am the seventh in a Catholic family and money was tight, more than I even knew then for a Dad who walked miles two work at Allies Chalmers in West Allies Wisconsin superb of Milwaukee. When I think about it I grew up in a place not unlike Birmingham England where metal started with the likes of Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, here in the forges in the factories pounding and the smell of steel being cast. That year under the Christmas tree in the smallest box was a picture of a drum set that my Mother had gotten for me, with money from my Grandma, to down into a guys basement and pick out of ,what seemed hundreds stacked up. I chose the Red Sparkle Whitehall kit. She ALWAYS would say I wish you would get over this and find a real path to something. Little did she know how many paths I would find ... little did I know, she knew the amount of danger and heart ache I would find in my quest to be real in the art… a parent’s love revealed.

CV: What do you find inspires your music the most as a songwriter?
JM: To connect with a fan or listener to the extent that they find connection or solace from my song and lyric. I do a number of songs dealing with depression and have had some come to me and say how knowing they are not alone is all they needed to get thru and passed a bad time. This with a tearful hug is all I need.

CV: What's your go to album for motivation? Why that album?
JM: Grand Funk live... it reminds me of what I wanted to be and who I wanted it to be with, with pure emotion exhilaration and energy to push us past the boundaries of just Art it's the culmination of everything that brought us out of caves and put us on the moon that kind of drive force of life.

CV: Some of your favorite artists... past and present, who are they?
JM: I covered a lot of my older ones who are still out kicking ass on question 5#. Along with Tull, ELP, MSG,early Kansas , Mott the Hoople, Sabbath of course, Humble Pie, Ziggy Stardust! Early Rod Stewart… My new love is Rival Sons .It’s great to see a door open and reveal how great the past was.


CV: The one album you feel every Metalhead should own and why? 
JM: Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid”… the real beginnings of it all.

CV: What do you consider is a defining moment in Heavy Metal history and why is it significant… how did it impact the genre?
JM: Judas Priest’s British Steel album the defining moment that gave metal its face and direction how to dress, how to be, how to rock and let the world know that metal can have a hit number one.

CV: Who would you like to work with if given the opportunity?
JM: Tony Iommi the god father of it all. His riffs are so contagious, playing drums and or writing melody lines and lyrics would be a dream.

CV: What do you feel are the top three things it takes to make it in the music business as an artist?
JM: If you are talking about now I have no clue. Someone will come and be a savior are my hopes but now it's beyond all most impossible. But as a whole talent, looks and tenacity come to mind.

CV: There has been a lot of remarks among established rockers these days regarding young, up and coming bands, that they don't stand a chance at making a career with music into today's industry... what do you think?  
JM: I fully agree but in the same breath I would hate to burn some ones dreams and who knows that Savior I was talking about could be you. All I can say is find something to sell why you’re doing your art.

CV: As an artist, what do you feel are your strengths?
JM: As an Artist I think it could be my creativity not only sonically but visually in trying to create something one could BELIEVE in and follow or connect with.

CV: What do you think separates bands of today from bands of the past? 
JM: I think bands of the past painted from a bigger pallet then most do now... more dynamics, more different emotions then mostly angry ones, once you’re on 10 you’re on 10... that 11 thing is just a Spinal Tap joke. I haven't heard many in the vein of Queen, Sabbath or Priest that can caress and kiss you on one track and kick your teeth out on the next. 


CV: With so many iconic women eligible for induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of fame, such as Cher, Stevie Nicks and Carly Simon many among others, why do you think they are being overlooked?
JM: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a fucking Fashion Show. So many artist male or female have fuck all to do with rock and roll… last time I rolled through was many years ago, The Hendrix wing had me in tears so amazing . But the special room set up for the Supremes had me scratching my head wondering what kind of Rock and Roll is Baby Love and Stop in the Name of Love. Don't get me wrong I do love the Supremes... Racer X was working on Stop in the Name as a remake .The ass tarts who run and vote in that place have their head Supremely up their asses. Let alone Heart being in there and Pat Benatar… Bon Jovi over 
Priest??? "Suck my dick". They can suck Ann Wilson's or Pat’s Dick as well… they have more Balls then that institution and day.


CV: We hear so much negative commentary regarding today's overall music industry. What's your take on it? Is Rock really dead?
JM: It’s dead when we say it's dead ... it's not about $$$$$ any more it's about the hearts of Men and Women who still want to throw their fists in the air and say fuck it I'm mad as hell and I'm going to Rock hard I'm going to Rock loud and long. We can all keep it alive until that last tree falls and when it fall ... fashion another les , some sticks And Drums and lets burn the fucker down again... That's Metal!!!!!

CV: What’s next for you?
JM: Fashioning a Les Paul and some Drums ... No really, I have been doing a number of remakes for TV and movie stuff in Europe. Drums and vocal of mostly Zep songs, doing another Blasted to Static album, producing a band at Prairie Sun Recordings where we did the first Racer x albums, Doing another Blind Side Blues band album and writing and singing on a compilation album by Glenn Drover from King Diamond and Megadeth. Tour in Europe with Blindside. If I have some extra time, remixing Darkside of the Moon for shits and giggles.

CV: Thank you again Jeff for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success with all your projects.


Check out Jeff and Blasted to Static at:http://www.blastedtostatic.com/
https://www.facebook.com/blastedtostatic/



Join us at The Cosmick View Facebook page at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView


Comments

Post a Comment