Interview with Niviane Vocalist Norman L. Skinner III




by Mick Michaels

COSMICK VIEW: Hello Norman! Welcome to the Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV:  What drives you to continue to create?

Norman Skinner: I love the creating process in general. When I hear a great piece of music I have so many melodies and ideas that start flowing and I can’t wait to put my voice and a story to it. Then after the music is released and performed live seeing the fans and media loving what we have created just pushes me to want to create more.

CV: Was music your first love?

NS: Absolutely! From a very young age I was drawn to music… Rock and Metal to be specific. I was one of those kids playing guitar on a broom while watching MTV videos. I never dreamed I would ever really be in a band or perform in front of live audiences. I definitely have always been a dreamer but more of a realist as well. So very glad I have had the chance to make those early daydreams a reality.

CV: Would you say music has made you the person you are today?
NS: It definitely has had a hand in shaping the person I am today. Aside from friends and family music has been a main factor in many life changing decisions I have made and the paths I choose to walk down. We are all defined by the company we keep and the situations life presents us. If not for music I believe my life would be very different.

CV: Could you see yourself doing something completely different other than music? If so, what would that be?
NS: I’m a very driven person in general and definitely strive to succeed in anything I try. With that being said I really am not a fan of corporate office life as far business is concerned. I could not see myself wearing a suit everyday and sitting in an office. I would most likely still find myself in the arts in one way or another. Perhaps acting or voice over work… theater… graphic design. Who really knows.

CV: Which artist has inspired you the most?
NS: If I had to pick just 1 band I would have to choose “Iced Earth”.; particularly their previous vocalist Matt Barlow. We have very similar vocal range and tone so I think my ear was naturally drawn to their sound. There have been other vocalists and band as well over the years. Sebastian Bach, Chuck Billy, Russell Allen, Layne Staley, Zachary Stevens, Rob Halford etc.

CV: Non artist…who has been your biggest influence?
NS: I really don’t know. All the people that I can think of that have influenced me in line way or another are musicians. Most of my friends are in other bands and even the musicians I have had the pleasure of creating music with over the years have had influence on me. I supposed I would have to say that leaves my family as the only real influence that are not artists.

CV: Was/Is your family supportive with your musical pursuits?
NS: Yes, very much so. I have been lucky enough to have had the full support of my family from the 1st day I went to rehearse with a band for my 1st show in High School. To this day they still share my social media posts and try to make it to live shows.


CV: What do you find inspires your music the most as a songwriter?
NS: Passion. I really need to feel the music and story I am conveying. I love my music to be dynamic and never want to release an album that sounds the same from song to song.

CV: What's your go to album for motivation? Why that album?
NS: I have never really thought about any particular album being a motivational factor. There are many fantastic albums I love to listen to over and over… Evergrey - Recreation Day, Iced Earth - Horror Show,  Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance, James Labrie’s solo albums are all excellent as well.

CV: Some of your favorite artists... past and present, who are they?
NS: Some of my all-time favorites include Brainstorm, Primal Fear, Mystic Prophecy, Testament, Alice In Chains, In Flames, Iced Earth, Kamelot, Killswitch Engage, & Savatage. I could keep going!

CV: The one album you feel every Metalhead should own and why? 
NS: Some may find this an odd choice but I would say Judas Priest - Jugulator. Even though the great Rob Halford isn’t singing on it, Tim Owens delivers a spectacular performance and the album is straight up metal and in my opinion the heaviest Judas Priest album released to date. When I heard that album I just think… “METAL!”

CV: What do you consider is a defining moment in Heavy Metal history and why is it significant… how did it impact the genre?
NS: A defining moment would be when Van Halen hit the scene. Eddie Van Halen playing Eruption and delivering his own unique style of playing. I know so many great guitarists who were influenced by him and he really opened a door for many metal guitarists on new style, techniques and thinking outside the box.

CV: Who would you like to work with if given the opportunity?
NS: There are many musicians I would love to work with. At the top of my list is The mountain king himself Mr. Jon Oliva. He’s a legend and musical genius in my mind.

CV: What do you feel are the top three things it takes to make it in the music business as an artist?
NS: I would hope they would have talent of some kind first and foremost. Having someone in the band with some business sense is key. Lastly a strong outgoing personality always helps. You want to be able to connect with the fans and network with other musicians and industry persons.

CV: There has been a lot of remarks among established rockers these days regarding young, up and coming bands, that they don't stand a chance at making a career with music into today's industry... what do you think?
NS: I believe the music industry has drastically changed in the last 20 years and will continue to evolve. Unfortunately it is much harder to sustain music as a single career. It’s not impossible but definitely much harder than in the past. Only the top 1% of bands will make it to the level of not needing a part-time job when not on tour etc.

CV: As an artist, what do you feel are your strengths?
NS: I have a very open mind. I take in influence and ideas from all around me daily. I am willing to try new things musically and not afraid to take risks. I am extremely driven and a hard worker so those are all positives I believe I have going for me. I also have a decent singing voice as well Ha Ha!

CV: What do you think separates bands of today from bands of the past?
NS: I don’t believe there is much of a difference between bands from yesteryear and current bands. The techniques, media format, and technology may have changed but musicians I meet today have the same ideas and drive as musicians I knew long ago. Sounds change over time but over all people are the same and bands will be bands.

CV: With so many iconic women eligible for induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of fame, such as Cher, Stevie Nicks and Carly Simon many among others, why do you think they are being overlooked?
NS: I don’t know. My only educated guess would be that for so very long the music industry had been male dominated so there are more male artists and bands that are also eligible for induction. Women make up a smaller percentage overall. I personally hope that is the case and not that they are deliberately being passed on because of gender.


CV: We hear so much negative commentary regarding today's overall music industry. What's your take on it? Is Rock really dead?
NS: Rock is absolutely not dead. Unfortunately the industry as we knew it is what is dead. Nowadays the big labels are looking for the quick money maker only. Investing in a band and helping them grow their potential is completely out of the question these days. Signing a person that is a singer only and having them sing songs over beats written and programmed by someone is much easier and cost efficient overall and thus what is being popularized and pushed to the masses. Hard Rockers & Metalhead I believe have a much deeper connection with music and demand more

CV: What’s next for you?
NS: I am lining up some US tour dates as well as European festival appearances with my band Niviane. We are also gearing up to start recording our 2nd album. My 2nd Hellscream album is being mastered for release this spring. My solo band Skinner is writing album #3 and I have a new project called Elemantis. I also have a few guest vocal appearances I am doing for some other artists… so as always I am staying extremely busy.

CV: Thank you again Norman for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and much success with all your projects.






Comments