Interview with Eternal Voyager Guitarist Brian Blake




By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello Brian! Welcome to the Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: What drives you to continue to create?
Brian Blake: My love for music has always been big and started for me as a child, but I didn’t write my own music until I was in my late teens. Over the years It's been ever evolving and has grown. I keep getting re-inspired as I've continued on my musical journey.

CV: Was music your first love?
BB: Yes, but it was not my only one either. I studied martial arts for years alongside cultures and languages which have been so intriguing for me too. I think that these tie in pretty well with one another. It wasn't till I was a teenager that music took complete priority and continues to do so today.

CV: Would you say music has made you the person you are today? 
BB: Yes definitely, and all the experiences and memories that have come along with it. Like how many people I've gotten to meet and places I've gone and things I've done.

CV: Could you see yourself doing something completely different other than music? If so, what would that be?
BB: It would be hard to say at this point, but if that were the case I suppose I would travel the world, try different things and take it from there. 

CV: Which artist has inspired you the most?
BB: Ronnie James Dio, he was my first introduction to Rock and Metal and continues to inspire me to this day both lyrically and musically.

CV: Non artist…who has been your biggest influence?    
BB: If you mean non music wise I would say my family and different historical figures throughout history. But that’s a broad topic and too many people to name.


CV: Was/Is your family supportive with your musical pursuits?
BB: Yes, my mother especially. She has been supportive mentally, and spiritually. She bought my first Electric guitar.


CV: What do you find inspires your music the most as a songwriter?
BB: Life, current world events, history, the battle of good vs. evil etc.

CV: What's your go to album for motivation? Why that album?
BB: I listen to so much and a variety of metal as I'm a huge collector. I'm always looking and finding new and upcoming bands. I guess I would have to say Iced Earths Dark Saga. It was the first album that made me really realize that this was the sound and direction I wanted to go in.

CV: Some of your favorite artists... past and present, who are they?
Brian: Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Majesty, Blind Guardian, Paragon, Wizard, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Lost Horizon, Amon Amarth…etc to name a couple.

CV: The one album you feel every Metalhead should own and why?
BB: Dio; Holy Diver, Hammerfall; Glory to the Brave, Iced Earth; Dark Saga. I cannot pick just one because no one is the only best one but these are albums that every metal head should own in my view.

CV: What do you consider is a defining moment in Heavy Metal history and why is it significant… how did it impact the genre?
BB: There are many moments worth mentioning past and present. Its another long list to try and gather them all.  The new wave of british heavy metal in the early 80's and also the  modern power metal movement when Hammerfall’s; Glory to the Brave, it really set a tone for the Genre of Power Metal and revamped its popularity and brought it back to the lime light.

CV: Who would you like to work with if given the opportunity?
BB: A lot of people really. Again being so into all this music it’s hard to pick anyone person there are a lot of inspiring and interesting people I would like to work with. It would be awesome to collaborate with someone like Iced Earths: Jon Shaffer or a great label like Nuclear Blast, or Napalm Records etc.


CV: What do you feel are the top three things it takes to make it in the music business as an artist?
BB: Perseverance, Integrity, a lot of sacrifice, and mentally and physically being able to hold yourself together you have to be strong. Having good songs and working with the right members and right people.

CV: There has been a lot of remarks among established rockers these days regarding young, up and coming bands, that they don't stand a chance at making a career with music into today's industry... what do you think?
BB: It is definitely harder compared to what it was years ago. Whether its economically or labels not picking up on bands like they used too. There is a lot more bands out there more than ever. There is so much more competition out there. But it’s not impossible. After all someone’s gotta make it. You just can’t give up the dream.

CV: As an artist, what do you feel are your strengths?
BB: we have been going for almost 20yrs strong and no matter the odds or lineup changes, I have a vision that I feel very strongly about and I just have come too far so I can’t give up now.

CV: What do you think separates bands of today from bands of the past?
BB: Label support, general support for heavy metal and rock music in the United States. It seems Europe has a lot more support compared to here. There was less competition and more Pioneering bands. Now in a way everything has been done and it’s getting harder to create something completely original. There are more genres in metal nowadays.

CV: With so many iconic women eligible for induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of fame, such as Cher, Stevie Nicks and Carly Simon many among others, why do you think they are being overlooked?
BB: I can’t speak for the rest of the world but especially here in the united states, pop artists take more priority over heavy metal artists where I feel like the talent really lays in, where these people actually have to write their own music, they don’t have support from major labels much of the time. The aforementioned female artist you have mentioned before, well I don’t listen to them. I have my own personal Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.


CV: We hear so much negative commentary regarding today's overall music industry. What's your take on it? Is Rock really dead?
BB: Absolutely not, it is just suppressed by mainstream ideals as I have mentioned before. I think it’s well alive, not only in the underground but all over the world and true heavy metal never dies. It’s not a popularity contest but it’s what the fans really love, rock and metal has always fluctuated in the times.

CV: What’s next for you?
BB: We have our new album "Darkened Times" coming out soon as well as we have a entire new lineup including an amazing new vocalist that we feel is going to be one hell of a live act, we have been working very hard the last few months…not only getting our album done but getting our new members up to date with the previous materials. We plan on doing a release party soon for this album. And we are opening for Hammerfall again this summer as of right now we are focusing on being a great band, to re-emerge stronger than ever. As soon as the album is released we will have new merchandise and plan a music video as well.

CV: Thank you again Brian for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success with all your projects.
BB: Thank you for your time and this interview.



Comments

Post a Comment