Interview with Artist Mote




By Mick Michaels





The Cosmick View: Hello, Mote and welcome to The Cosmick View! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us!

Mote: Thanks, my pleasure!

CV: Describe your characterization of your particular sound and style and how does that description distinctively define the music for your audience?
Mote: I would call it a rock n roll style. I like to blend things in. I have no problem taking inspiration from anywhere, but these days’ industrial music and post punk resonate very deeply.

CV: Today, everyone talks about the artist and audience connection and how important it is to their career. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist in your opinion, and if so, how have you made that type of connection with your fans?
Mote: I think it is essential. Of course it is achievable, but it requires being authentic and being yourself. If my work has ever connected with anyone, that’s why.

CV: Is listener contact an important part of your inner culture as an artist?
Mote: Yes, but you have to draw a line when you need to. I love the love, but sometimes to take care of yourself, you gotta do what you need or you’re of no use to anyone.

CV: Can an artist truly interact with their fans and still maintain a level of intimate privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
Mote: Yeah. I think so. Like I say, you just have to have boundaries. Sharing stories or getting involved on a personal level is the beauty of creating for an audience. So personally, I want to interact as much as possible with people. As long as I can protect my energy when I need to, I’m good.

CV: From your point of view, is music, and its value, looked at differently around the world? What would you say is the biggest difference with such a multiple and diverse views among the various cultures?
Mote: Most definitely. Music is di
fferent in all cultures. I think a culture’s music reflects their ways of living and thinking. I guess the biggest difference is how much it means to people. I think pretty much any human likes the connection you can find in music, but for some it’s only religious. For some it’s just for celebrating, for ceremonial moments, for background, for some, like me, it’s a way of life.

CV: Do you feel that an artist who has an international appeal, will tend to connect more to American audiences or foreign audiences in general? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see that artist over indigenous acts because of that “foreign flavor?”
Mote: I don’t know. It seems more to me like American audiences like American shit. I think there is something of a multicultural appeal in the US because of the diversity of music from the country. Those styles come from other places originally, but I think there is a homogenized thing that they like most. I think other countries are more open to world music and indigenous styles. I’m generalizing for sure, but I just mean in what’s popular. I think when artists use American styles, say the blues for instance, in what they make, when Americans hear it coming back di
fferently than it went out, that intrigues them, because then it feels like a dialogue. I don’t know if I quite see what you’re asking, but to me Americans have a harder time seeing themselves in cultures outside of the US. I think they like being addressed more directly if that makes sense.

CV: Has modern-day digital technology given way to making an artist out of everyone with a keyboard on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what defines an artist been blurred now?
Mote: Well everyone is an artist on some level anyway. Everyone is creative. So technology is just a medium to use, it doesn’t change people’s nature on its own I think those lines are always blurry and subjective, and always have been.

CV: What’s the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
Mote: The one who sets them isn’t trying to set them. They are just being themselves, doing what they like. Trendsetting comes from a natural place, a more earnest one. Then people pick up on it.

CV: Has all music been broken into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? Is it fan or corporate appeasement? And if so, has such appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
Mote: Haha, yeah I guess. I mean, they’re just trying to categorize things because people like tidy organization. None of it means anything, just the music means something. It doesn’t weaken the music.

CV: What can fans expect to see coming next from you?
Mote: We have our single “Industrial Love” out now. There is another one coming out November 4th, and then next year I see a lot of festivals and new music going down.

CV: Thanks again Mote for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.
Mote: Thank you, I enjoyed the questions. Cheers.

Check out Mote at:
Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/artist/3fnFaQr5shMn4CFA0wpm7i?si=jDfFalZ1QMKrNfSbtKslbg   
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/motemusic/  
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/motenashville  
TikTok:
https://www.tiktok.com/@_mote

 

Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments