Interview with Artist Marysa Eve



By Mick Michaels






COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Marysa! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: How would you characterize your particular sound and style and how does that description distinctively define the music for your audience?
ME: My sound is female-led, acoustic, with a focus on the lyrics of each track. The style is based around a singer-songwriter skeleton but dressed up a bit with layers of choral background vocals and soft percussion to give the piece a bit more dynamic. Overall, I feel this gives my music a uniqueness as I hope it fits narrowly into the ‘folk-rock’ genre- songs you could dance to, perhaps in the forest. There is a beat, but each instrument remains easily identifiable to the untrained ear, and the lyrics are heavily poetic as my background is in poetry and choral singing.

CV: Nowadays, with the popularity of social media, everyone talks about the artist and audience connection and how important it is to their career. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist in your opinion, and if so, how have you made that type of connection with your fans?
ME: It’s very early in my career as a solo artist; I am fortunate that my audience is scattered across continents as I train horses internationally for work. This is always a very unusual hybrid lifestyle, being an active artist and equestrian. Nearly half of my audience I have met while living abroad, such as in New Zealand, Ecuador, St. Vincent, Ireland, and most recently Germany. The rest are mainly dear friends in various US cities.

CV: Is audience communication an important part of your inner culture as an artist
ME:  I can never quite find the words to explain to express my gratitude for my listeners when people approach me. It is a marvelous thing to have people in my life who actually care to listen to the songs I’ve written; this is still a wonder to me. I would answer yes— it is absolutely a part of my ‘culture’ as an artist and moreso as a human to recognize what a privilege it is to be listened to at any capacity. I try to keep in touch and be responsive to those who consistently are there supporting me.

CV: Can an artist truly interact with their fans and still maintain a level of intimate privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
ME: I am certainly not at a point in my career where I can be concerned about the balance of a relationship with fans and personal privacy. Esoterically speaking, yes I believe an artist can maintain a private life and still share deeply with their fans. A song is an incredible gift to give someone else to carry with them and potentially find solace in. It is brave to share a window into one’s own experience, and a song is a great way to do so while retaining some level of control on what lyrics the artist chooses to publish.

CV: From where you are in your career, is music, and its value, looked at di
fferently around the world? What would you say is the biggest difference with such a multiple and diverse views among the various cultures?
ME: I am lucky to have lived in the US, Argentina, Ecuador, South Africa, Costa Rica, New Zealand, St. Vincent, Ireland, and now Germany. I have visited several other countries but not resided in them, so I would safely say yes, different cultures around the world certainly value music differently based on how they consume it. For example, in South Africa, music is very popular alongside religion. Due to the tumultuous history of the country especially during the Apartheid, music is still used as a way to bring people peace and expressivity, especially in church. On the streets, groups of people often sing hymns and begin to dance together, and this is normal and beautiful. In contrast, in St. Vincent, Soca music is a genre of hip hop that is so embedded in the culture; the entire island country listens to it almost exclusively. It is the background noise in every bar, every vehicle, every party, every restaurant. In this lens, Vincentians use it as an unspoken part of their identity- they are proud to only listen to their own music. In New Zealand and Ireland, music is more of a trend, and less a part of the culture. These waves of the hottest pop songs to learn the words to mostly originate in the US and make their way overseas. This is a very different value, to use music simply as a way to conform to society.

CV: Do you feel that an artist who has an international appeal, will tend to connect more to American audiences or foreign audiences in general? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see that artist over indigenous acts because of that “foreign flavor?”
ME: I don’t think a band with international appeal necessarily has more appeal towards American audiences solely because they are foreign. If anything, this might actually turn away the more close-minded, unfriendly midsections of the country who exist in a somewhat uneducated, American-supremacist bubble. It is already a diverse country, and accustomed to people coming from different backgrounds. Unless their nationality is a huge part of their identity as an artist, I don’t think most Americans would be very partial to this as a factor.

CV: Has modern-day digital technology given way to making an artist out of everyone with a keyboard on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what defines an artist been blurred now?
ME: I think anyone who produces art with the passion to improve on their craft is an artist. But in this era of technology where anyone with GarageBand can throw a project together and get it published on streaming platforms, I would agree that the process of making music has become in many ways, artless. And this is unfortunate because it slightly discredits the work of artists and labels who do put the effort into writing, recording, producing, and releasing a great track. In general, I do appreciate how technology has inspired new platforms that give independent artists more avenues to develop an audience.

CV: What’s the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
ME: An artist who follows others might be still searching for answers to their own identity, or simply showing appreciation for a trend they admire from another. I think those who set trends do so without intention, but certainly with shameless confidence in what they believe is exciting to hear and see.

CV: Has all music been fractured into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? Is it fan or corporate appeasement? And if so, has such appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
ME: I don’t think music has been separated into too many sub-genres. Humans simply love to categorize things, and technology with its hashtags and SEO options and whatnot have made this easy to do with music. Luckily, this only makes it easier for listeners to find what makes them happy, and it makes it easier for artists to define themselves, seek inspiration, and develop a specific audience.

CV: What's next for you? What can fans expect to see coming up?
ME: I am super excited to announce I will be releasing two singles by the end of 2022. Both are really catchy tunes that mean a lot to me, and I cannot wait to share them with everyone.

CV: Thank you again Marysa for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
ME: Thank you so much for listening.

Check out Marysa at:
Official:
www.marysaeve.com
Instagram:
www.instagram.com/marysa.eve
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/marysaevemusic
Vsco: @marysaeve

 

Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments