Interview with Artist Brett Schieber


 By Mick Michaels



The Cosmick View: Hello, Brett and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us! 
Brett Schieber:  Thanks.

CV: Describe your definition of your sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe your music?
Brett:  My new project is “rock & soul.”  The root of the idea, its premise, is like a contemporary Hall & Oates.  However, I’m not interested in doing throwback retro music, but rather use the classic blending of pop genres to make something progressive. 

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?
Brett:  Sure, all types of connections can be made around the world on the internet.  However, there are so many artists out there vying for your ears and time that it gets quite overwhelming.  Because of that, whenever a genuine message about my music is sent to me, of course I reply and am always very thankful.  It feels good to know that anyone is listening and secondly that something about my music and words connected to anyone.  I’m grateful when that happens. 

CV: Is fan interaction an important part of your inner culture?
Brett:  I think so.  We are all inundated with an abundance of sounds and images constantly, so I think it’s probably easy for most to forget about an artist who has been out of the spotlight for a bit.  However, personally, I’m not interested in tons of pictures or every single opinion of all the artists I enjoy.  I’m interested in their process, what their influences are, etc.  I don’t need to see every single picture of them on social media, or whatever, just to remember that they exist.  Because of this, I tend to not look at all the apps too much.  However, it’s the main way, I’m sure, for most artists to make a true connection with fans.  I just wonder how much is too much?  My guess is that if you’re too easily accessible, if you’re posting all the time, then people can lose interest too.  But, on the other hand, if you’re a small indie like me, it’s really the only way, besides playing lots of gigs all over the world, which is not economically possible for most.

CV: Can an artist truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion? 

Brett:  Sure.  There are so many other artists striving to get heard, along with bots spamming all the time, it’s just overwhelming, like I said before.  We live in a generation of excess and it just keeps getting worse and worse (or should I say “more and more”).  So, anyway, to answer your question, yes, I believe it is possible by simply treating everyone respectfully with kindness and empathy.  Of course, that’s a two way street, so if someone isn’t respectful it’s pretty simple – just don’t respond and move on, just like in any avenue of life.
 

CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?

Brett:  I’m not sure.  I think music, as a whole, is not valued in the same way that it once was.  There’s just too much and it’s too accessible.  Human nature dictates that if something is too easy, it’s usually not valued as much.  Monetarily, it’s definitely not valued.  People don’t really buy CDs anymore and streaming pays a minuscule amount.  I don’t know of any independent artists who can make a living on recordings alone.

CV: Do you feel that an artist who has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?
Brett:  Another good question that I don’t know if I have a good answer for!  I’m not intrigued by music just because of who makes it and what culture they’re from, or if the music or dialect of the singers sound foreign to my ear. I just like music that moves me in some way and by something that seems like it’s expressing a genuine emotion or an intriguing story.  How others feel about this though, I’m not sure.  I think I probably take my passion for music a bit too seriously sometimes!





CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
Brett:  Most definitely.  As we all know, you can write and record a great song now without even playing an instrument.  In a sense, a musician can sometimes be more of a computer programmer than what is usually considered a musician…someone who learns an instrument, plays, and records their take. I’m not saying this is a negative thing though, but it has definitely blurred the lines, as you said. 

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
Brett:  Styles change, but style doesn’t.  We all know that person in a crowd who tries too hard to be cool.  Don’t do that with your music by following trends. 

CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
Brett:  It’s all for marketing.  I think marketing has put everything into sub-genres and niches that are not only hurtful to music lovers, but also to all cultures.  Like you said, I agree that it has divided us instead of bringing us together, which is what music is meant to do.  To me, music is magic.  Music is medicine.  Music should bring everyone together.  That’s, in part, my dream for this “rock & soul” project.  My hope is that, overall, it blends styles in a way that it will cross genres and bring people together.

CV: What can fans expect to see coming next from you?
Brett: I’m continually involved in a few ongoing musical projects - my personal music (which I sing on), Arcanum (I’m the musical half of this artsy duo with my friend, Tree), Mark D. Pencil and Friends (educational music for kids), and this new “rock & soul” project that I’m having different featured singers on.  I expect releases from all of these projects this year. 

CV: Thanks again Brett for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.
Brett:  My pleasure, thank you!

 

 Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                        



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments