Interview with 450s' Dynamic Drummer Carl Canedy (The Rods, Canedy)







By Mick Michaels





COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Carl! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
Carl Canedy: Mick, we appreciate your support!

CV: Given so many major changes over the last decade, do you believe the music industry is a practicable and stable enough environment for new artists to even consider making it a valid career choice? Can a level of sustainable success really be achieved in your opinion?
CC: When I was deciding to do music as my profession the sage advice was to have a “back-up” plan. I advise my friends whose children are thinking of making music their career, I always suggest a teaching degree or some other degree…the proverbial “fall-back” plan. Today to survive you need all the ancillary income streams. It’s not easy to gain a footing that generates enough revenue.


CV: What do you see as the biggest change in the music industry since you first started out?
CC: Obviously YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok, Facebook, Itunes, Spotify etc., etc…. You can have your music everywhere in the world with a few clicks. Artists no longer need to seek out record labels. It’s now a DIY world. The caveat being that it’s tough to rise about the noise. There are so many artists in the market place competing for attention. Video games etc. have also eaten into the music equation. The average listener is not going to sit through an entire CD or Album to hear it the way the artist sequenced it. When I first started it was a “singles” world. It’s now back to just that. I actually prefer to listen to an album the way an artist intended it to be heard. There are so many great albums (Dark Side of the Moon) that might not have quite the same impact if you only heard a couple of songs and moved on. Also, when I started people were into “high fidelity. People wanted the best sound possible. The world has changed and people are moving faster than ever. We hear music differently now…earbuds and background music much of the time. What people listen to music on is sonically inferior for the most part. It is changing now for those who care about quality. There are sites where you can listen to high quality wav files. I’m actually good with all of the changes. It’s part of life and you roll with and find ways to get your music heard. I prefer that people listen to my music where I will have some compensation, however, I’m fine with free if they’re listening.

CV: How do you see your music separating itself from your peers and avoiding just being another cog in the wheel? 
CC: That’s a great question. I don’t! I’m all about doing what we believe in, being true to ourselves and letting the fans decide if they like it and wish to share it with others. Word of mouth is still the best way to get the word out. Isn’t there a disease word for that???? Oh, right! “VIRAL”! J

CV: Has the industry’s many changes affected how you write music? Has it influenced your songwriting style in any drastic form?
CC: NO! It’s actually the opposite with regard to writing. Labels used to expect a “single” and would suggest songs etc. Now there is no time constraint, or label pushing for a “hit single”. As for other artists having an impact on songwriting…yes. It’s not that you copy other artists but if you like a style or approach, it winds up consciously or subconsciously, in your music.

CV: Has digital technology led the way for almost anyone to be a musical artist in your opinion?
CC: Yes it certainly has!! Most musicians are also engineers. There is so much software out that you almost don’t need to be a musician, you just need to follow the program and insert chords, beats, lead lines etc.

CV: Has music in general been broken into too many sub-genres? Why do think there are so many classifications of music types? Can this be confusing for an artist who is looking to build a brand? As well, can it be confusing for the fans?
CC: Another great question!! Yes and no! LOL The traditional music business has always been looking for the next “BIG THING”. It’s no different classifying music to help create something new. It serves a purpose, yet at the same time creates a problem for some artists. It’s tough to be noticed as it is and then to try to fit into a sub-genre is tough. Once you’re established in that sub-genre it’s now tough to “cross-over” to a wider audience. It can be a “Catch-22”.

CV: How would you define “iconic” when it comes to being an artist or musician? What do you think makes an artist iconic?
CC: There are so many ways I consider who is iconic. An immediately identifiable persona or look, massive success over an extended period of time etc. It’s an identity created visually or through their music and sustainability.

CV: Who would you consider to be a modern day “rock star?” And is being a “rock star” something to aspire to?
CC: Mick, you are asking some excellent questions. First, let me say that most of the music industry is claiming “Rock is Dead”. The Grammy’s etc. basically show that to be fact. I believe there are so many sub-genres that fall under “Rock” heading, however, no one will call it that. I may have things thrown at me but isn’t Metal and sub-genres Rock. Of course I know it’s not in the typical fashion sense, however, that aggression, attitude and approach is certainly the same are the original Rock artists had. So however you see my argument on this, Radio, Grammy’s etc. have basically declared Rock music dead. I’m not buying.

As for a “Rock Star”, there are so many ways to be a “Rock Star”. Being a stand-out in your field qualifies you as a “Rock Star”…a little late to make this brief. You don’t see the typical Rock Stars of 70’s, 80’s etc. There aren’t the David Bowies, Mick Jaggers coming up today. Aspiring to be a star is most likely a trip to disappointing end. I’ve seen this approach and it usually comes with a huge ego (prior to success) and if success doesn’t happen the mess that’s left is pretty ugly.

CV: Does music need to have a message to convey to the world for it to be worth listening to in your opinion?
CC: Elton John said that “music is disposable”. I’m not sure he believes that now. I do believe that music has such a wide range effects and messages. A simple lyric that motivates you or makes you happy is just as powerful as a heavy message song. For me they both have equal value if they connect with listeners.

CV: What's next for you? What can fans expect to see coming?
CC: Tonight a few minutes before doing your interview I finished the drum track for a cover song. I’ve been working on an album called “Under the Influences” (working title). I currently have the new 450s in the market place www.the450s.com. CANEDY has three songs recorded for their new album. We hope to have a single release in the spring. The Rods have 9 tracks in the works for our new “SHOCKWAVE” album. High Roller Records has released the entire Rods catalog on color vinyl and we’re helping promote that. My band from the ‘70’s is close to finishing a new album. Our second album in 41 years. I’m also in the process of writing a book. So I’m trying to keep busy. J

CV: Thank you again Carl for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success.
CC: Mick, thank you again for these great questions. It’s nice to do an interview that doesn’t have the same old questions. This was fun and refreshing.

I have suffered many (“so you’re in a band? Tell me about yourself”.) This was last year! Lol Thanks again!

Check out 450s at:
Official: www.the450s.com



Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                      



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments