Interview with Songwriter and Guitarist Myke Gray (Shades of Gray, formerly of UFO and Skin)




By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Myke! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: Besides the coming of the digital age of music, what do you consider to be the greatest revolution in the last 20 years within the music industry?
Myke Gray: Hello Mick
I would say the ownership of music by musicians rather than just handing it over to a record company and losing control of your music.

CV: Who do you feel is more responsible for the success of the music scene as a whole and its ability to continue to thrive: the artists or the fans?
MG: It’s a symbiotic relationship. One can’t exist without the other. Ultimately music is an exchange of energy!
CV: What do you remember most of your time way back when from your days in the local music scene? Was it a time you look back at fondly?
MG: For me, music is a lifetime journey…you learn many lessons along the way. I am fortunate that I have managed to be part of it for over 30 years now and the memories from past and present are equally valid. Hopefully the future has many more to come.

CV: Myke, what was your greatest lesson learned while in the local scene that still resonates with you today?
MG: To have Plan A, Plan B & Plan C. Musicians are temperamental and you have to be ready and prepared for change at any moment.

CV: Local artists today are essentially the music stars of tomorrow. However, there seems to be a huge disconnect along the way…from the local to the national levels and beyond, especially when it comes to bands and how they are looked at, considered and how the music scene overall treats them. Do you see this as a concern, and if so, why do you think there is such a dividing line?
MG: The industry has always been tough. Talent is not enough…you have to mentally be strong in equal measure. Only the strong will survive. The music business is exactly that but a lot of musicians are not businessmen and so they get swallowed up and spat out. Ignorance has never been a building block of success. Learn the business of music if you want to make a living out of it.

CV: Should major artists and bands carry the charge to pay it forward more often in an effort to help those bands that are still working the trenches and looking for a break? Or is it a matter of keeping the list of future competition at a minimum for personal and professional longevity...is it a matter of survival for the established artists on some level?
MG: Any band that is at the top has paid its due, no one gets there on an easy ride. I think everyone within the industry knows that only the strong and smart will survive. Generally I think most are only looking after themselves but I have encountered good and bad along the way.
CV: Shades of Gray's new track, "I Get Up," is out and serves up a heavy throwback dose of Sunset Strip 80's Glam, reminiscent of Motley Crue and Poison. It's definitely a rockin' tune... Was this the goal when writing the song...to create a track that felt familiar in some respects,capturing that old school allure while making it stand out as an original piece?
MG: That was very much the intention…I love that era but also the 70s with bands like The Sweet & Slade. I wanted to make something fun. The song was the first one I wrote knowing that I was going to sing it. I am used to writing for a particular singer…this time it was me.

CV: Myke, recently, drummer Rich Smith stepped down and was replaced with Neil Ogden, just one month before your tour is set to begin. Was there any concern that a new member would be found in time?
MG: Like I said, always have plan A, B & C ready at all times. Change is inevitable.

CV: What's the process like finding a new member? Do you have a go-to list of potentials or is it a matter endless auditions?
MG: You always have to keep your eye out for potential musicians to work with as in this day and age people are normally working on multiple projects, so availability is always an issue.

CV: How much do band dynamics change when new member is brought on board? What do you see Neil bringing to the table?
MG: Neil is a fantastic drummer…old school, and understands the style of music and influences that I generally write. Probably the best I have ever played with. Can’t wait to go on tour with him and share energy.

CV: Does songwriting come easy for you or is it looked at as a task to find something that works?
MG: Songwriting is my life. A blessing and a curse…it consumes my every waking moment.

CV: What more can fans except to see from you in 2020?
MG: The goal is and always has been to write and record timeless music. It’s what I live for. So I will do my best in 2020 to write something that people will enjoy listening to.

CV: Thank you again Myke for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success.
MG: My pleasure!

Check out Myke at:
Official:  
https://www.mykegray.rocks/




Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




                                                            http://vagabondentgroup.com/


https://vinylclosetrecords.com/








       

Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.

Comments