Interview with Canadian Rocker Nikki Wozzo




By Mick Michaels




COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Nikki! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you
for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, its greatly
appreciated.
Nikki Wozzo: Thank you for having me.

CV: Frank Sinatra seemed to embody the cool and calm of an entertainer
who commanded his audience without fail. Why do you think that was?
NW: In my opinion, the thing about Frank Sinatra was he was one of a kind...he was so cool, nobody could do what Frank could do and for that people loved who he was. What makes a good performer is that they know how to drive the crowd and Frank knew how to do that like the back of his hand. It is indeed a talent not everybody can have, but that does not mean that they can’t learn how to do it either.

CV: Are you a fan of the Rat Pack?
NW: I’m a big fan of the rat pack...the best trio of all time.

CV: Do you think music today is missing that level of a cool “crooner” artist? Is it more than an attitude or stage persona on the art of the artist...is it something more, something genetic?
NW: Somebody like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin or even Sammy Davis Junior...yes I believe that music today is missing that level of cool crooner. I believe the attitude in stage presence has a lot to do with how a fan sees the artist, but as well, it’s one of a kind and has to come from somewhere, I don’t know where, but it came from somewhere and maybe it is genetic, who knows.

CV: What the Canadian Music Scene like compared to your experience in
the American Music scene…or more pointedly, the LA Music Scene?
NW: Where I come from in Canada there isn’t really much of a scene...unfortunately Canada has a very small population compared to the United States, which makes it a lot harder for people who are musicians and want to make this a living going out and playing. Lots of musicians from Canada, like myself, have made the choice to move to other countries like the United States, UK and other parts of Europe, so we can have a chance at the dream. To make a long story short, the music scene in Canada is very small and although there are great bands in Canada, it is very hard for them to find success in Canada compared to the United States.

CV: Nikki, do you feel being from Canada gives you a slightly different
perspective on how to navigate the music scene here in the States?
NW: Maybe, I think my perspective on the music scene of the United States is very broad. Being a Blues Country Rock artist and as well as a British Heavy-Metal artist, I tend to see a bunch of different things in the music industry as its expanding in Europe and North America. I think my advantage is that I’m not just focusing on the United States and have collected and experienced it all.

CV: How do you avoid the stereo-typical trappings often associated with
being in the music industry? Is it possible to steer clear of them or are there
some things, almost a necessary evil that must be indulged as an artist
makes their way through the trenches?
NW: I, like any other musician, do what we need to do to share our music, play around and enjoy it. There are always going to be labels that people are going to try to place on musicians and artists, which is not only inevitable being in this industry, but also necessary. I’m sure that there are things that we can avoid having, but this business is very set in its ways and everything happens for a reason.


CV: What’s the feeling you get right before going on stage? Is it something
you can describe or even relate to some other life experience? Is it
comparable?
NW: The way I feel before I go on stage, takes me back to the same feeling I had when I first saw Alice Cooper play in Kitchener Ontario, Canada when I was 16 years old. I can describe it as, I was front row and the curtain stood right in front of me, the track playing was Vincent Price narrating about the black widow from Alice Cooper’s 1975 Welcome to my Nightmare album. The moment the screen dropped, and the band came out and started playing, there was a giant podium right in front of me and at the top of the podium was Alice Cooper with sparks flying out of his hands. The attitude and look created such an excitement within me, which made me want to become a stage performer. I now feel that moment every time before I step on stage, whether it’s five people in the crowd or 5000 people, it doesn’t make a difference...that’s how I feel.

CV: Nikki, when people think of the LA Music Scene, most often, their first
thoughts are Rock n Roll, the Sunset Strip and lots of excess.  How does
being a Blues/Country artist translate in a scene with so much preconceived
notions and ideas?
NW: A lot of people don’t realize that if you’re not from Los Angeles or haven’t even lived in Los Angeles, that there is more than just Rock ‘n’ Roll...there is everything from hip-Hop, EDM, Folk music, Country...everything. I cannot describe to you how many different styles of music and genres I’ve experienced personally just being in Los Angeles alone. I have not had any trouble setting up my style in the music scene in Los Angeles. The world of musicians, no matter where it is, will always be accepting of every style of music.

CV: Are doing cover songs a way for artists to break through the barriers of
building an audience with something already proven and more familiar?
NW: I do cover songs in a segment on my YouTube channel as a form of providing material for people to hear what I can do and link their already established favorites with me. As well as a music fan, I like to play more than just my own music and this is a great therapy for me.

CV: What can we expect to see in 2020?
NW: You can expect to hear a new single being released this month on February 25 titled Rowdy coming from my solo project. As well, announcements will be coming shortly about a whole album from Nikki Wozzo and the Bad Whiskey, as well as an album from Serpents Kiss the British Heavy Metal band I sing for over in Northern England.

CV: Thank you again Nikki for spending some time talking and sharing with
our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued
success.
NW:
Thank you very much.

Check out Nikki Wozzo at:
Official:
https://www.nikkiwozzoandthebadwhiskey.com/








Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.








Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.











Comments