Interview with Augmented Chaos Singer Augie Madrigal





Photo by Rob Chevelle

By Mick Michaels

COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Augie! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
Augie Madrigal: I appreciate the opportunity to share part of my musical journey with you and your readers.
CV: Do you find that with the multiple classifications within the Metal genre, it is often difficult for a band to accurately define or describe their style... especially considering the diverse range of individual interpretation of music?
AM: In some cases, yes I do. Like when I’m asked what kind of music do I play, and I say Heavy Metal…I find myself having to give examples of similar artist to help define our sound.

CV: Does Augmented Chaos feel that having more of an old school sound and style places the band's music outside of the scope of what fans consider Modern-day or mainstream Metal in any way?
AM: Not at all, in some cases we’ve been blessed by fans who feel that we are a breath of fresh air…in what has in some cases become a stagnant and oversaturated Metal scene with so many artists trying to sound like someone else and really not having any true identity of their own.

CV: Augie, comparably speaking, how different is West Coast Heavy Metal to East Coast Heavy Metal in your opinion?
AM: I personally don’t really hear or see a real big difference…in fact I hear similarities to our style, a modern take on the old school, if that makes any sense.

CV: "World of Pain" is about to release.  What you can tell us about it?
AM: ‘World of Pain’ was recorded live at Morris sound in San Pedro, CA in a day…for the most part. Good friend of the band, Randy Ulrich, planted the idea of capturing Augmented Chaos live, so that’s the approach we had going into the studio. The same energy and attitude we have at a show recorded.

CV: How different is the "World of Pain" EP compared to 2014's "End of Days" album?
AM: Well personally I felt that ‘End of Days’ was great, but lacked a bit of luster and chemistry. We didn’t really get a chance to push it much, due to a deteriorating relationship with our then lead guitarist, Brent Stevens.

‘World of Pain’ is strong, powerful and a great example of what great chemistry is. On E.O.D. I was playing bass and singing, with W.O.P. we have J Patrick McCosar on lead guitar, stepping in on bass duties my great friend of over 13 yrs Chris Chapman, and Dave Manker on drums. Being only focused on vocals has made a considerable difference in the overall power of the music.

CV: Are EPs the practical way for bands to go these days as opposed to full length albums? Besides being more economical, are they more digestible for the fans' need for instantaneous gratification given the today's digital music download climate?
AM: In a way I would say so, leave them wanting more. We are including some great artwork, along with liner notes and lyrics with the physical EP. I think for us though, it was right for where we are at this time.


CV: Augie, could bands today survive without social media, like Facebook and Twitter? Are they really necessary...are they really that vital to success?
AM: In this time and age very much so. Long since gone are the days of tape trading via snail mail. Social media is a necessary evil. Being able to keep up with it is a job in itself. For us, global has always been the goal and social media is a great vehicle to get there.

CV: Does using vocal and backing tracks diminish a band's credibility as some critics have stated? Are the fans being mistreated with such practices in your opinion?
AM: In my own personal opinion, and mine alone, I would never do it. I’m from the school of do it live or don’t do it at all. But that’s not to say it wouldn’t for another artist. If you can pull it off, go for it.

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them? Can the follower outshine the setter on some level?
AM: Artist who follow trends in my opinion are in it for all the wrong reasons and lack the confidence to be trendsetters and will always be looking for the next ‘new thing’. Those who set trends are not trying to…. There will always be stars that shine brighter than others in any universe.


CV: What can Augmented Chaos fans expect to see in 2020?
AM: An Augmented Chaos show. High energy, great musicianship, showmanship, we are bringing the full on show with extra lights, big screens and a show they will never forget!

CV: Thank you again Augie for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success.
AM: Thank you for your support and exposure! Cheers!

Check out Augmented Chaos at:
Facebkko: https://www.facebook.com/augmentedchaos/







Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.













Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.

Comments