Interview with Guiartist Ef Six of Execution Order




 

By Mick Michaels







Cosmick View: Hello, Ef Six! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated
.

CV: Do you think diversity for an artist is crucial for career survival? Is diversity the key or does staying within one's own wheel house have merit?
Ef Six: Thank you for having me.  It is always a pleasure rapping about music, especially with The Cosmick View.

I don't necessarily believe diversity is crucial as an artist, so much as tenacity and most importantly, staying true to who and what you are - whatever that may mean to you. 

Natural growth is key to longevity.   Allow your passion to take the art wherever it may be destined to go, and don't look back.  That's "career survival" for me.

Career survival means different things to different people. Mine specifically is about the music - creating music and putting it out there is the "career" for me.

CV: Given the current over-saturation due to streaming platforms and the accessibility for all artists at all levels, do you believe that music in general has hit its proverbial wall? Has everything been done in music, as many critics say or believe? Are artists just reinventing the wheel these days?
ES: I believe technology has not only allowed music to flourish, but at the same time, it is killing the meaning of "music".  Anyone can "create" professional sounding "music" now without having the drive, desire or talent to do so.  The desire to create music and the desire to be "famous"/"get noticed" are two entirely different things.  Technology has allowed anyone the medium to skip the "drive, desire, talent" aspect and go straight to the "get noticed" part.  That's the over-saturation, proverbial wall, that music, and any art form for that matter, is up against now.  Technology is a dual-edged sword.

Music is now that of a "convenience store".  Streaming platforms are part of that "dual-edged" role: they were essential to get the music to the wider masses, and at the same time are so over-saturated due to technology that your music actually "being heard" is perhaps back to square one.

Everything will never "been done" in music.  As long as there are musicians that care about making that music, music will always evolve. And there will also always be listeners out there that care about what they are listening to.  The wheel is always being reinvented, and has been from day one. 

Listening to music these days still means just as much to me as when I was first discovering my love for it as a child.  It still gives me those same weird, warm feelings.  Creating music is much the same.

CV: Do you feel critics play a big part in how songs are written and / or performed for an artist, in your opinion? Does it affect you?
ES: If by critics you mean whatever is popular to get people "noticed", yes…actual music critics, no.  In this day in age, critics are normally on the back end of the process (past tense); marketing and social media are the "present tense" that is more likely to determine how the masses write and perform music while chasing popularity.

Neither affects me.  I've written music over a couple decades that connects with certain people, and the capacity of the pool doesn't matter.  People still caring… myself included, is what matters.

CV: There is so much negativity these days surrounding the music business. Are you ever bothered by what critics, fans, and even other artists tend to say? Does anything they say actually have credibility to what's really going on?
ES: See all of my answers above!  Haha, just kidding!  I don't believe there's any more negativity these days than there was in times past… I just think it's easier to get overwhelmed… or over saturated with the negative.  Music and the music business is ebb and flow, and it always comes back around. Sidebar: live music coming back around full circle is another whole topic - technology i.e. high quality smartphones and people's need for convenience has forever changed that…. 

Neither critics, fans, nor other artists bother me - the fakeness of much of the so called "art" and all that surrounds it these days would be the only thing that bothers me.  But none of the aforementioned bothers me enough to think about when creating the music and bringing that music to life onstage.  To that end, it's business as usual for me. 

CV: Tell us a little about the upcoming Execution Order album. What do you feel is the defining aspect of the album that separates it and the band from everyone else in your opinion?
ES: The new Execution Order album is just a straight up, violent thrash album.  I set two song writing rules for myself when I initially approached Chris about enacting some revenge by putting this band together:   

1) The K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) and...

2) It has to be fun.  Fun thrash breakdowns, earworm thrash melodies, thrashtastic riffs, and it has to be fun being able to play these thrash songs live. Thrash, thrash, thrash...and thrash. 

I believe the above part of my answer is what sets it apart if anything.  There's somewhat of a lost art form in thrash, and extreme metal in general, just to keep it simple and fun.  I believe that allows for its thrashy luster to shine through.  I hope the listeners have as much fun listening to the album as we did creating it. 

CV: Do genres really matter when it comes to creative expression?
ES: Genres help when attempting to find new music, or any art, to explore.  I like genres, sub genres, and sub-sub genres!

Genres are only important if you are either afraid to get locked into a particular genre, or if you are afraid to venture outside of that particular genre. 

Writing for a specific genre doesn't matter for me personally - those that listen to the music will determine where it falls.  
I love listening to music all across the board, but my creative interest in writing music doesn't stray too far from thrash and extreme metal.  I always feel like "I'm just getting started" when it comes to writing music, and as long as I enjoy creating it this much & still have something to say, it's not going to stray that far.

CV: How do you feel about artists who genre hop or cross over in an effort to gain fans? Are they selling out?
ES: I don't believe genre hopping or crossover is necessarily selling out, if that's what the artist strives to do through its art.  If it's for the sole purpose of reaching a larger audience and gaining "fame", yeah, that's SELLING OUT in all caps.  But "selling out" doesn't necessarily have to be a dirty word - to each his own.

CV: What's been the greatest lesson you learned being an artist in a band?
ES: Compromise.  Once the song is written and in the creative phase with other band members, learn to detach from it.  Allow the creative process to take over to produce the best final outcome.

That is also easy for me to say at this point, because for the past 17 years between Descendency & Execution Order, I have been surrounded by incredible musicians for whom I trust.   

Compromise is an important approach to all aspects of being in a band.  This is all not to say that there's anything wrong with dictating how your vision plays out.

CV: What more can fans expect to see coming from you in 2024?
ES: In 2024 you'll see the release of the new Execution Order album, Execution Order getting back out in full force on the live circuit, and possibly the recording of the canned fourth Descendency album.  It's going to be a very busy & prosperous year!  I'm very excited to see where music takes me in 2024. 

CV: Thanks again, Ef Six, for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.
ES: Thank you…it was my pleasure!

And if you were wondering what I was listening to while crafting my side of the interview, as I'm an album guy tried and true, Slayer's “Seasons In The Abyss” and Run DMC's “King Of Rock” albums were devoured in their entirety…'til next time. 
 

Check out Execution Order at

Execution Order Facebook

Descendency Facebook


  The Cosmick View

Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         






Blackbelt Ammunition - the ultimate in self defense ammo
Family owned & operated - Made in the USA
www.blackbeltammunition.com


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

 

Comments