Interview with Veteran Vocalist & Frontman Bob Mitchell (Former Sleepy Hollow, Attacker)



By Mick Michaels







Cosmick View: Hello, Bob! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated.

Bob Mitchell: Well thank you for having me my friend! It's certainly great to be able to speak with you and everyone reading this. I thank you for the privilege.

CV: From your point of view, now looking back at a career spanning more than 40 plus years, what do you see as your greatest accomplishment? Did you ever consider reaching such a milestone? 

BM: Well, in all my years of doing this, I have performed in the most prestigious venues, have performed in some major festivals in Europe and America, engaged in tours across our great Country to which your band (Corners of Sanctuary) was part of. My voice has been featured on 28 commercial releases and if I were to include demo's, singles, and compilation albums and so on, that would bring the total up to 44 releases overall. For an underground personality, that is quite an accomplishment. I never thought I would ever get this far in our profession. But, with all that said, my greatest accomplishment would be, without question, the day I became a father to my children and even more recently, a grandfather!


CV: Earlier this year, you announced your official retirement. Was that an easy decision given the recent pandemic and the aftermath that followed for the music world or was there more involved?
BM: When I decided to retire, it was not a happy time by any means, but it was the smart decision to make. To elaborate, if I mayso yes, I am happy to say that I am officially retired from performance, recording and just show business overall. The reason for my decision is that back on March 8th of 2022, I suffered a stroke and although my recovery is going better than expected, I feel as though it was a sign for me to call it a day. After all, I did start in 1977. So its safe for me to say that Ive had a long and rewarding career that I can look back upon with pride. Further and in closing, whatever success I have had is because of the mutual love between myself and the fans. It is very important that everyone knows that I want to maintain the respect I have earned from my peers and the fans. In short, I want to be remembered as I once was. The important thing for me is to give back that respect to them by stepping down and this is, most certainly, a decision I am very pleased to have made.

                                        

CV: What does a veteran frontman like yourself think of the music industry today compared to how it was 40 plus years ago? You made the decision to pursue music. Do you feel it still offers itself as a viable path for bands and artists to be successful or even to make a living at?
BM: Our profession today does not offer the same opportunities as when I started out back in the 1970's. What the younger bands are lacking in today is the fact that the elder bands are not offering any guidance. Some bands, not all mind you, are not paying their proper dues like we did and in some cases they go on these TV programs and allow some jaded millionaire to pass judgment on someone who is trying to make it. A perfect example of what I am talking about is Lady Gaga, who has enormous talent, but when she got the guidance and teachings of Tony Bennett, she reached heights I don't believe she could have ever imagined. Speaking for myself, I got guidance and learned from the veteran bands that were around me and I was advised to "keep a job while pursuing your passion and you will be rewarded." Best advice I ever got. I pursued singing simply because I wanted to be in show business and I did exactly that and kept a job as well. Currently I am well off and my family is secured. So remember if you want to be in a band greatgo for it! But don't ever let it get in the way of your well being and a stable life.

CV: Do you feel you have accomplished everything you set out to do as an artist, or have there been some regrets along the way?
BM: I have done what most people only dream about doing. I have had the pleasure of fronting some of the greatest musicians and that goes for all of the bandsI have recorded albums, traveled the world, have been featured in numerous magazines and fanzines, radio programs, podcasts and made great friends like you. So needless to say, the career I have had is solid and I have zero regrets.

CV: Tell us a little about your upcoming final release on Dark ages Records, "Unearthed," which is a collection of rare recordings and includes among others, both the Sleepy Hollow demo and the Nightthunter demo, which the latter will also be released as a standalone CD. Do you feel this release embodies itself as sort of your swan song to a long career?
BM: These releases will most certainly close a chapter in my career. Being an entertainer is something that will always be associated with the man I have become to be. It has been my pleasure to serve. I have been blessed to have been able to sustain myself and stay somewhat relevant for this long as I have been privileged to do so as well as having the opportunity of co-writing songs that fans are still enjoying. Not only with Jim Mooney, but with Todd Lange (Sceptor), Steve Stegg (Sleepy Hollow), Bruce Gatewood (Blackstarr), Ken Randisi (Mind Assassin), Ken Orth (Wycked Synn), Marco Ruggerio and Craig Wells (Savior From Anger), Rob Oriani (Vyndykator) and Joe Hasselvander (Hounds of Hasselvander). Now about the "Unearthed" collection, I am not entirely sure what to expect really. I just hope my fans will enjoy it which I am sure they will because all that is on Unearthed was never released commercially with the exception of the Sleepy Hollow '89 demo. The music overall is really good and I always felt that they needed to be heard by so many. Dark Age Records has, thankfully, made that possible. Listening back to all this music, I have truly been blessed to have been surrounded by the greatest musicians I have ever known. I never talk about my music in fear of being a braggart, but this is really good stuff.

CV: As a singer, as an artist...as a songwriter, has music helped you better express yourself to those around you? What has music done for you?
BM: Music has made me the man I am today. It is my legacy for my children. At this point in my life, my family and I are secure and happy. That would truly be the summation of all that has occurred professionally and personally.

CV: What's been the greatest lesson you learned being a Heavy Metal singer?
BM: Never live the lifestyle of the road or allow the vermin that exists in our profession to get the best of you. I have seen many friends and constituents get eaten alive and left for nothing. Observing all of this I have learned to stand clear of it all and only engage in what I was meant to do. Lead by example and stay as straight edge as possible.

CV: In addition to Unearthed, what more can fans expect to see coming from you in the remainder of 2023 and beyond?
BM: Well not much really. I trust that everyone will enjoy "Unearthed" and Nighthunter "87". Beyond that, these releases will be everything I have done in music, thus, closing a very big chapter in my life. So enjoy the music, enjoy the memories and always play it loud!!

CV: Thanks again, Bob, for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.
BM: Thank you brother! It has been a pleasure for me. I appreciate the opportunity given!

 

Check out Bob at:

Dark Age Records:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100066824350338

Bob Mitchell:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100088223603762

 

The Cosmick View

Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Blackbelt Ammunition - the ultimate in self defense ammo
Family owned & operated - Made in the USA
www.blackbeltammunition.com


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

 

Comments