Interview with Tony West of Blacklist Union



By Mick Michaels






COSMICK VIEW: Hello! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: What do you feel sets the band apart from other bands, especially those of similar sound and style? What's specific allure your sound and style have that has people taking notice?
Tony West: One thing that sets Blacklist Union apart from other bands is that we don’t have to answer to anyone. Chris Johnson, our producer, allows us to do what we do. There are not too many bands out there right now that are playing real, supercharged rock n’ roll. At least that I know about. (If there are, I wanna find out about them, that’s for sure.) I think we are kinda carrying the flag for people in this genre.

CV: For any band, dynamics is key to grabbing an audience's attention. What do you feel is the main ingredient to having such a captivating dynamic and being able to bring something more to the music?
TW: I think that real rock star quality is a key dynamic. We bring that, and we bring realness. Nowadays having tattoos and dyed hair is kind of the norm. I got my ass kicked for shit like that growing up.

I consider myself a rock n’ roll soldier. I’m a lifer. I think when you’re authentic that kinda cuts through the bullshit and people feel that.

CV: How would you describe the ultimate musical experience for your fans? And how does the band go about creating that musical vision, while generating the impact the band wants to have on its audience?
TW: I think the ultimate musical experience for my fans is the ultimate musical experience for anyone. Listening to something or seeing a live show and being able to walk away saying “wow.” That’s my goal when I go see a band, and that’s my goal when I play live music for our fans.

We make music that we wanna hear. I’m not thinking about how that is going to impact people. Being authentic and being real and writing about real things in your life that have happened, new experiences, whatever… People relate to that.

CV: The music business has always been one that regardless of who you are, where you came from or where you've been, you can either sink or swim.  Does this type of realism have any effect on how the band drives itself to succeed? 
TW: That’s no different than any other field or any other part of life. Life is either sink or swim. You either gotta suit up and show up, or just fucking go home. Nothing in life is easy. If it was everybody would be doing it. We have to pay our dues. There is a certain element of paying dues in everything. If shit was easy, no one would appreciate anything. 

CV: In your opinion, is there any middle ground for a band or is it a do or die climate in today's music industry?
TW: I think it’s a do or die climate in the world. As far as middle ground, there are plenty of bands that didn’t break on a global level, but they have a good career and are paying their bills touring certain pockets of the world, or are just big in the U.S. or the U.K. There are all kinds of levels in every field…music, art. If you’re a painter, if you’re a writer or whatever…I think the key to success is being consistent and never fucking giving up.

CV: How would you describe the band's internal energy? Does the band’s outward appearance align with its true inward nature from your perspective?
TW: We are constantly trying to grow as individuals. We dress wild and crazy because that’s who we are. We’re fucking warriors of rock n’ roll. I’ve been wearing eyeliner every day since I was 13. This is my life. No matter where I’m going or what I’m doing, I am dressed and ready to rock. I always have the same rock n’ roll presence. I learned a long time ago that you need to be ready to rock at a moment’s notice.

I don’t like dropping this story, (about LA Guns) but I have always said “You gotta be ready to rock at a moment’s notice.” When I got that call from Tracii Guns, “Can you play Atlanta tomorrow?” I was like “yes!” I had to learn basically 13 songs overnight and sing them the next night in Atlanta. I was ready to rock at a moment’s notice.

CV: What's at the core of the band's songwriting approach? Are there certain elements that are considered when a song begins to take form and evolves? 
TW: Every song we have is about real-life events. It’s not contrived to sound cool or anything like that. My goal is to write about life, death, the birth of my children, heartache, losing people I love, addiction, recovery, deep spiritual healing, and everyday ins and outs of life. That is the gist of our songs.

CV: Do you allow things to just happen when writing; seeing where a song goes, or is there a certain course of action and structure you keep a song on, thus, essentially making it destined to achieve its overall potential?
TW: I tell stories lyrically. However, in any song you have to know how to write a composition. That’s something a lot of people can’t do. Todd Youth could do that well, Chris Johnson does it well, and that’s something I do well. Writing a song from the intro to the outro is a special skill. You have to understand that dynamic when writing songs.

You’d be surprised because there are bands out there that have sold millions of records but can’t write a song for their life, and you’re like, “What the hell?” But…they’ve had outside writers. They’ve had whatever they have.

For me, composing a song is the real deal. And lyrically I want to tell the whole story. Each song is a composition with Blacklist Union.  A composed song from A to Z. That’s the most important thing to me in music.  

CV: Do you feel how the fans and critics describe the band’s music accurately reflects how you would describe the band’s music?
TW: Everybody had a different opinion on everything… The taste of apples, the color of the sky, politics… I describe my music as street rock, love rock, punk rock influenced with hard rock and blues.   

CV: Walk us through a typical show for the band...what can fans who have never seen you perform expect?
TW: Fans can expect a kickass rock show, and like I said, my goal is to always make it better than the records. When I see a band I wanna walk away and say “wow.” That doesn’t happen very often. I will have them walk away saying “wow.

CV: What more can fans look forward to seeing coming from the band?
TW: We have new videos and singles coming out, the full-length ‘Letters from the Psych Ward’ album is coming out in September. All our previous releases will be available on vinyl soon. We have new merch coming. All kinds of stuff are happening. 

CV: Thank you again for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.

Check out Blacklist Union at:
https://linktr.ee/blacklistunion

 


  The Cosmick View

Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Blackbelt Ammunition - the ultimate in self defense ammo
Family owned & operated - Made in the USA
www.blackbeltammunition.com


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

Comments