Interview with Solo Artist Rick Reichert



By Mick Michaels




 

Hello! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

Rick Reichert Hey there!

CV: Please tell us a little about your current solo project.

RR: I have a new project; my debut rock release “Along a Path”. This is a dream long put on hold that I’ve finally decided to start pursue more aggressively as far as being a musician and making original music. I feel like there is still a solid niche for guitar driven rock music with interesting storytelling and I’d like to help keep blasting that niche open further!

 

CV: Given so many major changes over the last decade, do you believe the music industry is a practicable and stable enough environment for new artists to even consider making it a valid career choice? Can a level of sustainable success really be achieved in your opinion for your band?

RR: In some ways that’s just kind of funny. Rarely…perhaps never, have I heard pursuing a music career described as a practical or stable choice. I think it is certainly a tough place to make a career, especially if you think you’re going to be the next big thing. That said, SOMEONE gets to be the next big thing, so work your ass off, make smart decisions and music you’re proud of and you never know. Never have artists had greater opportunities to bust out independent of the established industry infrastructure. People can and do make a living as musical artists, most just aren’t bringing in millions of dollars.

 

CV: Things in the music world change daily it seems. What do you see as the biggest change in the music industry since you first started out with your solo project?

RR: Well I’ve been around long enough to watch the way people consume music and art in general shift dramatically into the digital realm, and away from physical media. In turn, there has also been a tremendous diffusion in studio recording capabilities making it easier for small artists like me to get our foot in the door and to get music out to fans and potential fans. The overall dollar barrier is weakened, but the competition is substantial and fierce.

 

CV: How do you see your music separating itself from your peers and avoiding just being another cog in the wheel? 

RR: In all honesty, I don’t think there’s a lot of music like what we’ve put together for “Along a Path” being made now. Yet I still think there is a place for it. Maybe I’m not the one to fill it for everyone, but I certainly believe there are people around the world that still want to rock in the way I want to rock. Yeah, that’s an on purpose Twisted Sister reference!

 

CV: Has the industry’s many changes affected how you write music? Has it influenced your songwriting style in any drastic form?

RR: No. It just hasn’t. If anything, the general state of the music industry has encouraged me to double down on what I want to help keep alive in music. I’m kind of a musical chameleon anyway and the idea of having to be put into some specific musical box is dumb to me. I don’t know hardly anyone that listens to just one very specific category of music and neither do I. So I have no desire to force the music I create into a more popular circle either. I’d rather get the circle to appreciate the finer aspects of what we’re trying to bring to the table. I’d like to grow as a musician and have that growth reflected in what I create as I move forward.

 

CV: Has digital technology led the way for almost anyone to be a musical artist in your opinion?

RR: Certainly technology has opened the door for far more people to be ‘musical artists’ but not necessarily musicians. I find myself sometimes torn between understanding that music and the way it is created changes, and knowing that is needed; while still hating many of the changes currently underway. In the digital world there’s a lot more out there, and frankly, quite a lot of it is bad in my opinion. That said, listeners and fans get to make more of their own choices. It’s tough to be a musician or musical artist because you put yourself out there in a way most don’t. It’s raw. It’s exposing. It’s this experience you can share with others. Ultimately you sink or swim from a career perspective on how well you connect to people with your music.

 

CV: Has music in general been broken into too many sub-genres? Why do think there are so many classifications of music types? Can this be confusing for an artist who is looking to build a brand? As well, can it be confusing for the fans?
RR: Absolutely I think it can be, and has been, confusing and brings me back to my point about being forced into specific musical boxes. As an artist I think the best bet is to just keep hammering on getting your music out there and refining your skillset. Be creative. Let people love it or hate it and they can call it whatever they want.

 

CV: How would you define “iconic” when it comes to being an artist or musician? What do you think makes an artist iconic?

RR: Well, iconic musicians stand out. That’s certainly got to be a discerning characteristic…charisma and presence…talent and musicianship. You must have the capacity to bring your listeners into the music with you…to create that bond and hold it. Iconic bands and musicians connect with other people through their art, through their showmanship, and sometimes through just being themselves.

 

CV: Who would you consider to be a modern day “rock star?” And is being a “rock star” something to aspire to?

RR: The first person that comes to mind is Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters and formerly of Nirvana. I’d have to say he checks all the boxes for being called a modern rock star. I do think it is something to aspire to, but it is a dangerous aspiration to have and it’s not for everyone. There are lots of obstacles on that road; and it can be a long trip; or very, very short.

 

CV: Does your music need to have a message to convey to the world for it to be worth listening to in your opinion?

RR: In the act of creating a song you’re always conveying some kind of message. Does that message have to be world and culturally shaking? Of course not. Maybe you just want to convey you were pissed off that day so you write a song about how pissed off you were. If that connects, that’s a win. There certainly doesn’t need to be some social judgment and narrative attached to every song. That would be exhausting and tiresome.

 

CV: What's next for you? What can fans expect to see coming?

RR: Live shows. We’ve started rehearsals and we’re really looking forward to getting out in front of actual folks with the new material and doing our best to just blow the doors off it with every performance. This February and March you should expect to see the band hitting the music scene in Central New York and we’ll see where it goes from there. I’m also continuing to write so it won’t be long before there is some more studio time getting booked.

CV: Thank you again for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success.
RR: Thanks! It was great to be a part of it!


Check out RICK REICHERT at:

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/RickReichertMusic

Bandcamp:

https://rickreichert.bandcamp.com/album/along-a-path

Apple Music:

https://music.apple.com/us/artist/rick-reichert/1648127548

Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/1JXqmIU9wxquvpPoSRgkm 

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCealWRTyY98gJ8SIKHpQw0A

Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/rickreichertmusic/

 

 The Cosmick View

Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

 

Comments